Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpaccio. Has anyone ever tried it? Where can you get it in Dublin?

Options
  • 21-02-2018 11:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33

It looks delicious. Raw meat, seared on the outside, raw in the middle. Looks yummy. Is it risky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

DelaneyO wrote: »
    It looks delicious. Raw meat, seared on the outside, raw in the middle. Looks yummy. Is it risky?

I ordered steak tartare once in France. Didn't know what it was and it looked like a load of chopped tomatoes on the plate. I was munching thinking I was gonna come upon a cooked steak when I realised 'he didn't ask how I wanted my steak done'...

What a night that became....;)

Never again.

However Manifesto in Rathmines do a good beef carpaccio. Had that for a starter before, no trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

Fade Street Social have it on their menu

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Be a common enough menu item in the more upscale Italian restaurants, surely?

Just checked - it's currently on the menu at Dunne & Crescenzi.

On edit: Carpaccio of beef is not seared on the outside. It's raw right through. It's not dangerous, but it's prudent to buy the freshest meat you can, from a good quality butcher, and make the carpaccio the same day you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Had it in Fallon and Byrne. Years ago now so not sure if still on menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Maximillans in Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

DelaneyO wrote: »

What you get is raw meat raw on the outside. In my experience the bit you get is not seared on the outside?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What you get is raw meat raw on the outside. In my experience the bit you get is not seared on the outside?

I've only had beef carpaccio and it was as you describe, not seared. I think maybe tuna carpaccio is?

Some cooks like to very briefly sear the outside of the meat before slicing it, or alternatively to pour boiling water over it. The idea is to kill any pathogens which may reside on the surface of the meat (as a result of poor handling/storage). This is not necessary if you are satisfied that your meat has been hygienically handled and stored, and in classic carpaccio it is not done. But it may have been a carpaccio prepared in this way that DelaneyO encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Beef carpaccio can be seared on the outside in some places, though that’s probably more a minority. Presume it’s a matter of chef’s taste.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I've had it, don't think it was seared though. Not as flavoursome as I thought it would be, quite bland, but maybe that was just the stuff I had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Had it in Forno 500 recently enought and it was excellent. Does great pizza too. It's on Dame Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't understand why we can't have rare burgers or steak tartar in Ireland but we can have carpaccio!
    Is it just that carpaccio isn't on the radar of the hse? The risks are the same.

I'm not a fan of tartar but I love beef carpaccio - it's the combination of the beef, rocket, parmesan and lemon juice that does it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I don't understand why we can't have rare burgers or steak tartar in Ireland but we can have carpaccio!
    Is it just that carpaccio isn't on the radar of the hse? The risks are the same.

I'm not a fan of tartar but I love beef carpaccio - it's the combination of the beef, rocket, parmesan and lemon juice that does it for me.
    Usually because the beef used in burgers would not be prime cuts and because when you mince beef through a mincer you have a greater chance of something nasty getting mixed up into it.
    The beef used In carpaccio and tartar is normal prime cut...still at risk eating both if not prepared properly. Saying that ido enjoy both but I refuse to eat a burger rare unless I make it myself.

harr wrote: »
    Usually because the beef used in burgers would not be prime cuts and because when you mince beef through a mincer you have a greater chance of something nasty getting mixed up into it.
    The beef used In carpaccio and tartar is normal prime cut...still at risk eating both if not prepared properly. Saying that ido enjoy both but I refuse to eat a burger rare unless I make it myself.

I don't see why prime cuts would have any less bacteria than cheaper cuts.
    Mincing explains why we can have rare or blue steak but not rare burgers. I don't see how it explains a difference between carpaccio and tartar. They are both raw beef, if the mincer is clean, I don't see why it is a factor.

I'm still confused by why carpaccio is allowed but not tartar or rare burgers.

Maybe it's naive of me to expect consistency in food hygiene regulations and their enforcement.

What makes you think you can't have rare burgers or steak tartare in Ireland?

Peregrinus wrote: »
    What makes you think you can't have rare burgers or steak tartare in Ireland?

Well, any place I've known of that served rare burgers were stopped doing so by the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

DelaneyO wrote:

Seriously! Where have you guys been? Carpaccio is a really popular appetizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

IIRC the issue with mince is that more area of the meat is exposed to the air and is at higher risk of exposure to bacteria. With a solid piece of meat, this is less like to be an issue, at the outside is cooked and the bacteria is killed off. With a burger, the exposed areas can be pushed into a centre of a patty and if kept rare, the bacteria may survive the cooking process. I remember ads on TV warning about this kind of thing produced by food safety groups.

With carpaccio, the slices are taken off one piece of meat that has been kept chilled (sometimes frozen for a period for easier cutting), with limited exposure to the air, reducing risk of bacteria. This is not a piece of meat that should be kept out to come to room temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Love carpaccio, always get it if its available on a menu.

Tuna carpaccio is good too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement