Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD to re-designate more than 170 toilets as gender neutral (Mod warning in op)

• 22-02-2018 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

It's PC gone mad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/ucd-to-re-designate-more-than-170-toilets-as-gender-neutral-1.3400807
    UCD is to re-designate more than 170 toilets across the entire campus as “gender neutral” and introduce transgender changing facilities at its sport centre.
    The move is part of a new university policy to provide a welcoming campus for transgender and gender-fluid students and employees.
    In addition, UCD is to allow transgender students to change their names on official university award documents and other material without the need for gender recognition certificates.
    Minister for Children and equality campaigner Katherine Zappone, who is due to launch the new policy on Thursday, has welcomed the move as another step towards “full equality for all”.
    “Our universities are drivers of change, promoters of equality and champions of justice,” she said.

Mod-Ok folks, A few people have been banned, From here on anyone linking transgender to mental illness will get the same treatment. Discuss the topic. You can think an idea is a good idea or a bad idea without being a dick about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

According to the rest of the article a few other unis have already done it since last summer, judging by the lack of articles complaining about it nobody has been too bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It's WC gone mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

According to the rest of the article a few other unis have already done it since last summer, judging by the lack of articles complaining about it nobody has been too bothered.

Or nobody is allowed complain for fear of a backlash from the tolerance Gestapo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd say there'll be a campaign to switch them back shortly after, once the reality of piddle splatters and seats being left up kicks in.

Student idealism.

Bless.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Who gives a ****? It's a toilet.

Thinking you have a right to tell someone to sit down or stand up to pee, and spouting 'PC gone mad' bull**** when you can't? - THAT'S snowflake territory right there.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

As long as they continue to also provide single-sex toilets for those who prefer that, then I don't see what the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dr Brown wrote: »
    It's PC gone mad.

Are the bathrooms in your house divided into male and female? How do you cope if not!?

ffbb8c4b266bc5e3c3158f5bf591a3369ef75f73e2e6b7ca331a3bd807136260_facebook

32f96b063fc1d3c3d384be03a67c9700.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

UCD is a toilet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

My local Catholic church has had a gender neutral bathroom since the 1940s.

patsman07 wrote: »
    My local Catholic church has had a gender neutral bathroom since the 1940s.

RC gone mad.

That's nothing

Sure my local compère doesn't know if he's a man or a woman
    MC gone mad

Then they wanted to install a gender neutral toilet across the road from me gaff for the tourists!
    DC gone mad!

Then they told me that the ancient Greeks had gender neutral jacks
    BC gone mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Or nobody is allowed complain for fear of a backlash from the tolerance Gestapo.
    Thank God the intolerance Gestapo arrived to set us all straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Is it any wonder Irish Universities are slipping down the world rankings when they are more concenred about gender neutral toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I grew up with gender neutral toilets in MY OWN HOME. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

These don't bother me once they are used as toilets. You use the toilets/wash your hand and leave.
    They shouldn't be used for talking or applying make-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

It's the "Tolerence Gestapo."

Is it any wonder Irish Universities are slipping down the world rankings when they are more concenred about gender neutral toilets.

Calm down and lose that frown, Dr Brown. It's not like they're converting Theatre L into a giant unisex toilet. You seem more concerned about this than anyone. Are you a student in UCD?

Calm down and lose that frown, Dr Brown. It's not like they're converting Theatre L into a giant unisex toilet. You seem more concerned about this than anyone. Are you a student in UCD?

I did not see anything in his post to indicate he was not calm or needed to calm down.
    Maybe you are finding somebody with an opinion of their own alarming?

Maybe we need more safe spaces?:D

But not the toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

These don't bother me once they are used as toilets.
    They shouldn't be used for talking
    I studied at a British university where, in less enlightened times, they still had gender based facilities.

Interestingly, there were holes in the dividers between all the male cubicles in the library.

I guess the university wanted us to have a chat with each other while we were dropping the kids of at the pool.

I made many friends that way.

What glorious times!

I did not see anything in his post to indicate he was not calm or needed to calm down.
    Maybe you are finding somebody with an opinion of their own alarming?

Maybe we need more safe spaces?:D

But not the toilet.

Hey, if someone's claiming that there's a link between university rankings and gender neutral toilets, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that anger is making them blow stuff out of proportion. Better than calling the poor chap an eejit, God love him.

patsman07 wrote: »

It's the "Tolerence Gestapo."
    I was responding to someone using that absolutely ridiculous term.

The point, since apparently it wasn't obvious, is that people like that always want the debate to be about their RIGHT to be intolerant. Anyone who disagrees with them isn't just disagreeing, they're "shouting us down" somehow, in an all written forum. I think this is a deliberate tactic to avoid ever having to actually talk about or defend their views, so they can keep the debate about free speech or whatever, as if they are simply defenders of principle, rather than just old fashioned intolerant people. The resort to comparisons with the Gestapo is telling, given how precious such people get when they're called Nazis themselves.

It's transparent deflection. Sorry for shouting you down freedom fighters!

The only ones "concerned" about it are the likes of you. Do you think there's a link between this and the fall in the university rankings?

I mean...it might be to do with the cuts in funding, the shift away from core strengths in Irish universities like humanities, the increasing reliance on contingent faculty, the salary cuts, the bloated administration.

But maybe you're right, it was the jacks all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

"UCD is to allow transgender students to change their names on official university award documents and other material without the need for gender recognition certificates."

Is this not just going to reduce the value of wining the award as if it's not connected to your legal name how can you prove that it's your award?

"UCD is to re-designate more than 170 toilets across the entire campus as “gender neutral” and introduce transgender changing facilities at its sport centre."

Great now people who want to change on there own in a separate stall can . I used the disabled room when I felt self conscious.

Do UCD have a transgender sports team? Do you have to identify as a single sex to play on the male of female teams? Can trans of fluid genders get involved in single sex teams or do they just work out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is this just unisex toilets?

Is this just unisex toilets?

I think we will have to wait for more info to be sure unisex or separate single rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I'm fine with unisex loos. A few of my workplaces over the years have had them. They just need to be called the WC though or whatever, no need to mention gender at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I'm fine with unisex loos. A few of my workplaces over the years have had them. They just need to be called the WC though or whatever, no need to mention gender at all.

Agree but this whole thing about gender neutral toilets is a political/ideological/language war more then anything else, simply calling them "toilets" or "WC" wouldn't achieve the purpose of the change.

If the IT picture gives any indication, their could be "male", "female", and "all genders" (including disabled people who would become an "gender" and probably lose their previously dedicated toilets in the process).

image.jpg

Could the lads decrying this explain in plain terms why they're opposed to it? Without going on about liberals or faux outrage or whatever. Just explain your actual argument, your real beliefs. Why is it a problem? Why do ye give a fcuk, like?

They need to put tampon dispensers in the gents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Does this mean that women only changing rooms wont exist anymore.
    Will any man who says he has transgendered be able to get into the womens private changing room. You pay extra for the privilege of the private changing room and women do that because they want this facility.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Isn't it a bit arse backwards having the universities championing equality for all while the kids are still subjected to gender and religious apartheid in primary schools?

Isn't it a bit arse backwards having the universities championing equality for all while the kids are still subjected to gender and religious apartheid in primary schools?

Not all primary schools but this will change over time. The university is changing due to a culture change in the university weather that's a natural change or perhaps forced as a result of heated debate locally or elsewhere. These changes can happen fast in university as it's a small population who share a small space not necessarily knowing all the facts but influenced in to supporting things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

There used to be plenty of gender fluid back in the day when I was at Uni.

Oh to be young again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Omackeral wrote: »
    Are the bathrooms in your house divided into male and female? How do you cope if not!?

My sisters constantly leave urine splashes on the wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭Koala Sunshine

I wonder will this extend to shower facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

In the states they had separate toilets for blacks and whites. I don't see the problem with gender neutral toilets.

Possibly doing away with the men and women toilets idea might be a better way forward. What's wrong with unisex toilets. I'd be in favour of doing away with urinals all together. Most of it ends up on the floor anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Men should be complaining about how long the Q will be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Men should be complaining about how long the Q will be

My thoughts when I read the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I've decided I identify as female when I'm showering, so I'll be using the female changing facilities from now on.

I'm a lesbian when I'm a female, so don't mind my massive hard on - that's to be expected.

And don't anyone presume to have the right to tell me that I am either not a woman, or that I can't use the female changing facilities.

padser wrote: »
    I've decided I identify as female when I'm showering, so I'll be using the female changing facilities from now on.

I'm a lesbian when I'm a female, so don't mind my massive hard on - that's to be expected.

And don't anyone presume to have the right to tell me that I am either not a woman, or that I can't use the female changing facilities.
    #brave
    #fierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

endacl wrote: »
    I'd say there'll be a campaign to switch them back shortly after, once the reality of piddle splatters and seats being left up kicks in.

Student idealism.

Bless.

:)

There'll need to be an educational campaign aimed at the female identifying people to explain the toilet is to be sat on, not hovered above. If that's successful, there'll be no splatters to worry about. Of course it'll be a waste of time trying to get them to close the lid when they're done...

I don't know if this is the best idea in a place where hundreds of lads were trading, comparing and rating pictures of female students. Hmmm...

Also do the transgender changing facilities cater for all types of trans? Seems weird to lump them all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I don't know if this is the best idea in a place where hundreds of lads were trading, comparing and rating pictures of female students. Hmmm...

Also do the transgender changing facilities cater for all types of trans? Seems weird to lump them all together.

You mean where hundred of lads weren't testing female students except in the imaginations of the twitteratti.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

padser wrote: »

Seems to be a lot of people who are afraid their inner sex offender will be released by the sight of women. Or maybe it's just spurned feelings of inadequacy. Are you afraid the women will laugh at your "massive" hard on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm waiting for all this to backfire.

If they want why not create single cubicle toilets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's PC gone mad.

Have you rebooted and installed the latest updates?

So what? Honestly, go find something worth being outraged about.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That’s it. Now you have it. The minute and a half they took to decide this could have saved UCD from educational oblivion.

There is no way, NO WAY, they could do anything else when they were deciding th gender neutral toilets. I’m surprised the university didn’t shut down for the week, given that the entire administration was required for this one decision. It must have been a dark, anarchic week out there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
Advertisement