Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD to re-designate more than 170 toilets as gender neutral (Mod warning in op)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It was a petty response aimed at a petty (and inaccurate) comment.

People are entitled to not use unisex toilets if they don’t want to.
    It’s petty to bring up the toilet in their own home like it’s the very same as a public toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Eramen wrote: »
    Gender neutral bathrooms in public spaces are a mere extension of a feminist ideology. That's because unisex toilets are a de facto emasculating feature.
    I feel a little bad for you if this is how you feel every time you visit the toilet in your gaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

People are entitled to not use unisex toilets if they don’t want to.
    It’s petty to bring up the toilet in their own home like it’s the very same as a public toilet.

Nothing petty about it.

Nothing petty about it.

You and the other poster clearly know that they are talking about public toilets. There will be no strangers in the toilets in their own home. It’s not the same. It’s a petty and pointless dig.

You and the other poster clearly know that they are talking about public toilets. There will be no strangers in the toilets in their own home. It’s not the same. It’s a petty and pointless dig.

What is your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

I'm sure when things don't 'go to plan' in these toilets it will somehow be men's fault. That seems to be the way of it.

Gender neutral bathrooms in public spaces are a mere extension of feminist ideology. That's because unisex toilets are a de facto emasculating feature. It requires both men and women 'become children again' as regards to sexual instinct/purpose i.e. to express a learned ignorance of sex and gender. As sexually mature adults, holding such an attitude is of course impossible.

Few of our progressive friends seem capable of asking why male and female toilets exist in the first place. This tells you a lot about them.

A person of the opposite sex using a toilet provokes sexual instinct for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's mainly said by people with an agenda!

What is your problem?

People being mocked and vilified for their own decisions that won’t have any effect on other people.
    It’s sort of ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

You don't seem to understand human nature my friend. That's a great downfall in my opinion.

Why haven't you learned? Ideology? Idealist? Still under 21?

France for example has always had unisex toilets. It seems like you have a pretty weird grasp upon sexuality...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

PucaMama wrote: »
    This weirdness is why we don’t need men in women’s bathrooms.

What? Because 1 woman in a cinema made noises all toilets should be strictly segregated?

I dont think the weirdness is the cinema experience tbh

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

People being mocked and vilified for their own decisions that won’t have any effect on other people.
    It’s sort of ironic.

Oh please, this entire thread is aimed at mocking vilifying people for their own decisions.

Get off your high horse and take off the blinders. Lots of people in this thread have been taking shots at trans people, and even people who are okay with -using- a -voluntary- unisex bathroom and are acting like they'll be forced into using a giant trough with people staring at their privates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm sure when things don't 'go to plan' in these toilets it will somehow be men's fault. That seems to be the way of it.

Gender neutral bathrooms in public spaces are a mere extension of feminist ideology. That's because unisex toilets are a de facto emasculating feature. It requires both men and women 'become children again' as regards to sexual instinct/purpose i.e. to express a learned ignorance of sex and gender. As sexually mature adults, holding such an attitude is of course impossible.

Few of our progressive friends seem capable of asking why male and female toilets exist in the first place. This tells you a lot about them.

Seems a bit strange that the feminsists would the ones always calling for unisex toilets considering they're the most vocal group when it comes to calling for safe spaces.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Oh please, this entire thread is aimed at mocking vilifying people for their own decisions.

Get off your high horse and take off the blinders.

Exactly my point. One side is on their high horse about it while behaving in the exact same way against the people that don’t agree with them. I’m just pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I would find it a bit bizarre if my wife stuck an all genders sign on the toilet at home. This is I think the point some are trying to make. It is like putting an "all races" or "all religions" sign on bathrooms in UCD. It's just bizarre. And has anyone actually explained why trans people need their own toilets yet?

professore wrote: »
    And has anyone actually explained why trans people need their own toilets yet?
    If a trans person is born a man and is transitioning to a woman, in your mind should they go to the mens or womens?

I would find it a bit bizarre if my wife stuck an all genders sign on the toilet at home. This is I think the point some are trying to make. It is like putting an "all races" or "all religions" sign on bathrooms in UCD. It's just bizarre. And has anyone actually explained why trans people need their own toilets yet?

I think it's because they don't feel comfortable using the toilets that society want them to use at the moments.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    France for example has always had unisex toilets. It seems like you have a pretty weird grasp upon sexuality...

Yeah so has Ireland. Neither country has had signs saying "all genders" or "transgender" on them though. I was not aware that trans people require special bathrooms separate from the rest of us. I'm sure some are transphobic but most people don't care. Where I do care is if my tax money is being frittered away on useless extra bathrooms that are not needed.

Billy86 wrote: »
    If a trans person is born a man and is transitioning to a woman, in your mind should they go to the mens or womens?

Let them choose. I don't see the problem.

I think it's because they don't feel comfortable using the toilets that society want them to use at the moments.

Why not? And even if that's true, which I find impossible to believe, how do they have the right to a separate one? Lots of stuff makes me uncomfortable but I have to put up with it. I have to sit for ages in rush hour traffic, should I get my own private road?

• Advertisement

Are there any actual trans people on this thread? I would like to hear what they think.

That's a fair solution as well, though I'm not sure it would be seen that way by people in those toilets at the time - esp. for a pre-op male-to-female transgender person.

I would be interested to see how this can/could have been sold differently though by something as small as relabeling them 'toilets' rather than 'male/female' OR 'all genders/unisex/gender free/etc'.

Why not? And even if that's true, which I find impossible to believe, how do they have the right to a separate one? Lots of stuff makes me uncomfortable but I have to put up with it. I have to sit for ages in rush hour traffic, should I get my own private road?

I honestly don't know because it's not really my thing.

That's a fair solution as well, though I'm not sure it would be seen that way by people in those toilets at the time - esp. for a pre-op male-to-female transgender person

I think if they are worried about stuff like this then their issue is something other than being trans. Discrimination I can understand - but demands to relabel everything and actual separate bathrooms? What happens if I as a cis male use one of these bathrooms? Will I be publicly shamed?

Do we need separate ones for M2F and F2M? Ones for asexuals and furries? Whee does it end?

That's a fair solution as well, though I'm not sure it would be seen that way by people in those toilets at the time - esp. for a pre-op male-to-female transgender person.

I would be interested to see how this can/could have been sold differently though by something as small as relabeling them 'toilets' rather than 'male/female' OR 'all genders/unisex/gender free/etc'.

The thing is there are male and female bathrooms for good anatomical and efficiency reasons, on the male side and probably because women like a female only space for gossip and applying makeup. Women have female only gyms FFS!

If women could pee standing up I see no reason on the male side for gendered bathrooms. The average man doesn't care. We already have shredded incredibly handsome and stylish gay guys in our bathrooms to make us feel insecure do you think a few trans women are going to make any difference to us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The problem apparently is that you get screamed at if you go into one and beaten up if you go into the other (and this does not qualify as freedom of choice, btw).

• Advertisement

The problem apparently is that you get screamed at if you go into one and beaten up if you go into the other (and this does not qualify as freedom of choice, btw).

Beaten up? Never seen that happen. Maybe in secondary school but that could happen to a straight guy too. In university? In 2018?? Really?

Don't know about screamed at - maybe that's a thing.

They could go to their biological gender bathroom before they transition if they are that concerned for their safety. Or the disabled toilet. And surely if they are in danger of being beaten up it could happen anywhere?

Is a possible explanation that women don't want male to female trans people in their toilets and therefore want to push them into their own toilets? And trying to pretend it's some sort of good they are doing? That actually makes sense.

Beaten up? Never seen that happen. Maybe in secondary school but that could happen to a straight guy too. In university? In 2018?? Really?

Don't know about screamed at - maybe that's a thing.

They could go to their biological gender bathroom before they transition if they are that concerned for their safety. Or the disabled toilet. And surely if they are in danger of being beaten up it could happen anywhere?

I'm just answering your question, don't shoot the messenger!

That said, just because you've never seen it happen, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Given some of the attitudes I've seen expressed here, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Greysquirel09

I made the same point previously... "TOILETS" and be done with it. It's virtue signalling. I feel for older people if this is rolled out everywhere. 70-80 year old woman going into a bathroom with men. Must be uneasy for them.

I made the same point previously... "TOILETS" and be done with it. It's virtue signalling. I feel for older people if this is rolled out everywhere. 70-80 year old woman going into a bathroom with men. Must be uneasy for them.

This was discussed with Maura and Dathi during the week and Maura even said it would make her feel uncomfortable and she isn't an old lady.

• Advertisement

I'm just answering your question, don't shoot the messenger!

That said, just because you've never seen it happen, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Given some of the attitudes I've seen expressed here, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just offering my opinion. I know that just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. However several months ago it was front page news when some mentally disturbed individual sprayed a nazi symbol on the George - if trans people were being attacked in toilets don't you think the media would have a field day?

This was discussed with Maura and Dathi during the week and Maura even said it would make her feel uncomfortable and she isn't an old lady.

The biggest losers here are going to be women. Most men really don't care who goes in their toilets.

The biggest losers here are going to be women. Most men really don't care who goes in their toilets.

Can you expand on this. How do woman lose here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

*sticks head above parapet, waits for the shot*

I'm trans*. All my documentation says I'm female. I use the female toilets, female changing rooms, and nobody bats an eyelid. I go in, do what I have to do, and I leave again. Simple as, though I may have an easier time, as I look like I belong there. That's fine for me, as I am comfortable enough and confident enough in myself to just get on with it. Others though may not look like they fit in as well, or may feel nervous that they look out of place, and it is not pleasant. So, what do they do? Do they go into the toilets or changing rooms of the wrong (to them) gender, where they may be subjected to ridicule (or worse), do they just not go out in public and lead their lives for fear that they may have to use a public toilet, or do they use a disabled/unisex/gender neutral, single room toilet?

Now, I don't go to UCD, or know how exactly they are implementing this, and yes, the whole thing of proudly publicly stating that these facilities are "gender neutral" can seem a bit over the top, but really, once it is all in place and goes quiet afterwards, people will not really care, and they will just be toilets for all people who for whatever reason would be more comfortable using a single toilet.

Can you expand on this. How do woman lose here?

The women I've spoken to about this or heard them speaking dislike this because they could end up in a toilet and be out numbered by a lot of men. It's not that they fear them but they'd just be more comfortable in a toilet with women.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Are there any actual trans people on this thread? I would like to hear what they think.

There's one where I work who made a point about being able to use the Male's toilets. Weren't agressive about it at all. Just wanted to be confident about being able to use it without confrontation coming their way. None of us have been too bothered by it to be honest. But maybe that's just guys in general.
    The women I've spoken to about this or heard them speaking dislike this because they could end up in a toilet and be out numbered by a lot of men. It's not that they fear them but they'd just be more comfortable in a toilet with women.

Doesn't make a whole load of sense, considering women tend to go to the women's bathroom in pairs. Surely there's something to be concerned with there no?

These bathrooms are singles. No issue.

*sticks head above parapet, waits for the shot*

I'm trans*. All my documentation says I'm female. I use the female toilets, female changing rooms, and nobody bats an eyelid. I go in, do what I have to do, and I leave again. Simple as, though I may have an easier time, as I look like I belong there. That's fine for me, as I am comfortable enough and confident enough in myself to just get on with it. Others though may not look like they fit in as well, or may feel nervous that they look out of place, and it is not pleasant. So, what do they do? Do they go into the toilets or changing rooms of the wrong (to them) gender, where they may be subjected to ridicule (or worse), do they just not go out in public and lead their lives for fear that they may have to use a public toilet, or do they use a disabled/unisex/gender neutral, single room toilet?

Now, I don't go to UCD, or know how exactly they are implementing this, and yes, the whole thing of proudly publicly stating that these facilities are "gender neutral" can seem a bit over the top, but really, once it is all in place and goes quiet afterwards, people will not really care, and they will just be toilets for all people who for whatever reason would be more comfortable using a single toilet.

Not going to shoot you :)

Thanks for the response.

Thing is, if you are going to be ridiculed, it isn't any more or less likely to happen in a toilet? If anything in a men's it's less likely I would say - most men just want to get in and get out. The ladies is a mystery to me.

By that logic you should also have separate classrooms, canteens etc. And the cost financially is very high to install hundreds of new bathrooms.

I really don't care about you being trans, if you are a decent sort you would be my friend as much as a cis person would be.

I think if they are worried about stuff like this then their issue is something other than being trans. Discrimination I can understand - but demands to relabel everything and actual separate bathrooms? What happens if I as a cis male use one of these bathrooms? Will I be publicly shamed?

Do we need separate ones for M2F and F2M? Ones for asexuals and furries? Whee does it end?

This is silly nonsense. The toilets in UCD are open to all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So they are like a disabled toilet? No communal area to wash hands, put on makeup etc? Why not use the disabled toilet then?

• Advertisement

Probably not. If I was trans I wouldnt come near this thread at all given the amount of ignorance and transphobia littered throughout it.

Maybe you know trans people personally but I don't - hence the question. I'm ignorant of the habits of aboriginal Bush people too for the same reason. If they put 200 spear holders in UCD for said Bush people does it make me ignorant to ask why they are needed and for feedback from someone directly affected rather than some well meaning social justice warriors?

This is silly nonsense. The toilets in UCD are open to all.

Can I as a middle aged cis male go into the ladies toilets wearing Speedos without fear of repercussions?

I think peoples issues is with having to shared sinks etc.

Yep. I know. Just like when I have to use the toilet in the local library. A toilet used by woman, men and children. Disgusting.

Anyway I haven't read anything about communal sinks.

Can I as a middle aged cis male go into the ladies toilets wearing Speedos without fear of repercussions?

Did you actually have a genuine point in that question?

Terry Pratchet

What about sinks? :confused:

Terry Pratchet

Yep. I know. Just like when I have to use the toilet in the local library. A toilet used by woman, men and children. Disgusting.

Anyway I haven't read anything about communal sinks.

There's a toilet in my local Tesco. It's a stand alone toilet. You go in lock the door and do you business. It's private nobody has an issue with this.
    People have issues with going into a block of toilets and having both genders using area where the sinks and mirrors are for example. Just in my experience.

There's a toilet in my local Tesco. It's a stand alone toilet. You go in lock the door and do you business. It's private nobody has an issue with this.
    People have issues with going into a block of toilets and having both genders using area where the sinks and mirrors are for example. Just in my experience.

What experience. Have you been in a unisex toilet before?

What experience. Have you been in a unisex toilet before?

I've being told by womsn they don't like it. I have being on them in the past I'd also prefer single sex toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I have being on them in the past I'd also prefer single sex toilets.

I’d say most people do.

Firstly unisex toilets make urinals a no go as a majority of men and women alike obviously wouldn’t want urinal used in a unisex area.

Secondly because besides urinals there are a few other things which are different in men and women toilets (do most men want to bin full of tampons next to them while they do their thing in a cubicle ... I think not, so this is out as well, and I am sure there are other things).

Thirdly it is just a human thing. If a vast majority of cultures and societies on this planet all came up with a concept of separate male/female public toilets there must be a reason. Most human beings just like it better that way.

Now of course this is a bit different for small individual toilets whereby the acceptance for unisex toilets will be higher as not all my previous points apply. But I very much doubt unisex cubicles in large toilets could become a norm as there are just too many reasons people would feel uncomfortable about them.

Advertisement