Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for new smartphone

Options
  • 22-02-2018 3:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

I have an iPhone 5s. Before that I was still using old school button phones. My brother got so annoyed with me and in his words "it's time you joined the 21st century" and gave me his old phone when he upgraded. It lasted about a year until it gave up. Last August I bought another iPhone 5s from an independent shop for €150 but it's on it's last legs. The touchscreen is shot to sh!t. It keeps freezing and I have to force a shutdown and restart it again for the touchscreen to work. The problem is, I'm having to do this at least twice a day now.

I went into vodafone and they quoted me €240 for the same phone (this was at Christmas). I asked was this new and they said refurbished. No way am I paying that for a phone that probably won't last long. I don't want to pay even more for the iPhone 6 or 7 as I know Apple are deliberately slowing them down with upgrades. The cheap shop I went to has gone out of business.

I don't care about getting a new iPhone. The only reason I stuck with them was because I was used to the layout. I need to buy a new phone but I really am clueless when it comes to smartphones. I just want something cheap and reliable. I only use the phone for calls/texts and the only app I'd use would be whatsapp. I don't need anything fancy.

One other question (and this may seem obvious to some so don't mock my ignorance :p), if I got a smartphone that wasn't an iPhone, would I still be able to access the iCloud? How would I transfer all my contact details/photo's etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Well I'm a 'NOKIA,LUMIA, Windows man, and I swear by them..But my m8 who is on his second GALAXY 8! Is starting to sway me just a little.
    The only thing that would nudge nudge me to switch my make is GOOGLE STORE, The apps on LUMIA/NOKIA are good but every now and then I come across an app I would like and it's only available in GOOGLE Store and not available on Windows/Lumia store whatever,,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Holy crap you'd be fightin' the women off with that piece of awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I recently bought a Xiaomi Mi A1 for just under €200 and love it. I was firmly a Samsung girl up until then. Xiaomi have some even cheaper models that seem to have almost the same specs as Samsung.

My phone is dual SIM which was my main reason for buying Xiaomi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Witchie wrote: »
    I recently bought a Xiaomi Mi A1 for just under €200 and love it. I was firmly a Samsung girl up until then. Xiaomi have some even cheaper models that seem to have almost the same specs as Samsung.

My phone is dual SIM which was my main reason for buying Xiaomi

Work recently gave me an iphone se (I think) and I absolutely hate it. How people think these things are user friendly is beyond me. I had my eye on the A1 previously and now I’ll definitely be picking one up sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

After going from android to iphone to iphone i went back to android. And will preferably never touch an iphone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

2nd the MI A1 suggestion.....I can't recommend it enough. You can buy it for 170 from eglobal central

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

New Razor phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I had endless problems with my iPhone 5s, got a Sam galaxy s7 last year and it's the best purchase ive made in my whole life, Samsung are the new Nokia and il own a Samsung phone till I die. Also check out cex for good 2nd hand phones

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Moved to more appropriate section, please note the charter for this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Greyfox wrote: »
    I had endless problems with my iPhone 5s, got a Sam galaxy s7 last year and it's the best purchase ive made in my whole life, Samsung are the new Nokia and il own a Samsung phone till I die. Also check out cex for good 2nd hand phones

I've had two Samsungs and they were bomb proof,lasted for years.
    My current one is so old they've stopped upgrading the browser,barely functional but can't be arsed to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

People are so narrow minded. I, along with some enlightened Boardsies, paid €170 for a Xiaomi Note 4. Excellent phone.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057810034

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

3rd the MI A1 suggestion.
    Android One is class, no garbage apps.
    4gb is great, no hassle with added unwanted apps.
    Fast system updates from Google.
    Great hardware solid as a rock.

A bit slippery so get a cover or case.

€230 from amazon.es with a two year guarantee.
    €180 from eglobal but dodgy if anything goes wrong so make sure to use PayPal.

My daughter got a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A and loves it for €139.

So as in all things horses for courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Thanks for all your suggestions. It's something I'm going to think on before I commit to a new phone. If I do change from an iPhone, how do I keep my contacts, photo's etc? Is it a case of simply changing the sim or how does it work? I really have no clue :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Sorry no nothing about Apple but there are a scatter of guides on how to migrate from Apple to Android. Do a Google search and find a written or YouTube guide that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Thanks for all your suggestions. It's something I'm going to think on before I commit to a new phone. If I do change from an iPhone, how do I keep my contacts, photo's etc? Is it a case of simply changing the sim or how does it work? I really have no clue :o

You can add your icloud account to your new phone and load your contacts into it that way. Otherwise you have to export them to a csv and import them into google contacts. this might help.

Advertisement