Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Oranmore to Salthill

Options
  • 22-02-2018 5:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Would I be crazy looking to rent in Oranmore if I am going to be working in Salthill? Big difference in rent but would the commute be too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Depends on the time of day but I wouldn’t do it during peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Normal office hours, Monday to Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Would I be crazy looking to rent in Oranmore if I am going to be working in Salthill? Big difference in rent but would the commute be too much?

You could get the DART Or GART...maybe in 20 years

Bus probably quickest at normal hours given bus lane all the way to Huntsman,
    It is very cycleable though as well
    Driving would be a painfully slow process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’d say you’d be 1hr there and back sitting in traffic everyday.

I work in mervue/live in Knocknacarra. I finish at 3:30 everyday. It takes my 30mins to drive the 6miles (12 sets up traffic lights)

I think I would be better off sticking to Knocknacarra or somewhere out that side of town. I would preferably live in Salthill but rent is pretty high there. Has anyone any other recommendations for suitable Salthill commutes taking into account my wife will probably end up working in town and my kids will need to go to primary and secondary school somewhere.

• Advertisement

I think I would be better off sticking to Knocknacarra or somewhere out that side of town. I would preferably live in Salthill but rent is pretty high there. Has anyone any other recommendations for suitable Salthill commutes taking into account my wife will probably end up working in town and my kids will need to go to primary and secondary school somewhere.

Knocknacarra would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Get a boat you be there in 5 minutes.god I hate Galway and it’s bullsh1t traffic.lights everywhere and they not worth a fuk.some fukr in there getting backhander for buying traffic lights.was never fuk all traffic with the roundabouts.gone beyond a joke now

Traffic volumes in Galway have increased 25% in last 4 years, and 10% in one years, and probably increased similarly last couple of years since this report
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/traffic-volumes-galway-jump-10-per-cent-year/
    More traffic, more volume, more delays.
    Only going to keep rising delays unless a move to major public transport solution, and/or new road space and /or building high density housing
    Very slow moving around the city, years of lack of planning , and allowing ribbon development.
    I would certainly favour living close to work/bus route or walking distance if i were moving to Galway, nice city but very poor quality of life if commuting c 8-10 hours per week for a c 10 mile round trip which is what a lot do, plus more if doing weekend runs for family/kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

I was actually doing this exact commute as I'm from Oranmore and was working in Salthill from September to December last year. I'm not going to lie it's not an ideal commute. I was restricted as I can't afford to move out so had little choice.

I mostly got the bus which wasn't great. I usually got the shuttle bus which leaves Oranmore at 20 to the hour every hour. It would generally arrive in Eyre square around 8:30 and I would then walk out to Salthill arriving in work just before 9. I always left work and walked to town around 5 as I did the post run. I'd then arse around for the shuttle bus which is due to leave at 5 past the hour. However at rush hour the bus didn't usually arrive til around 6:15 or so. I often wasn't getting home til 6:45 or thereabouts.

I tended to get the use of a car once or twice a week. I'd usually leave in the morning around 8 and get in for 9. I'd leave work just after 5 generally arriving home not long after 6.

Basically either way you're looking at an hour of a commute each way.

I started a new job in Athlone on Monday. Train is a bit awkward as I don't start til 9:30 but the only train that will have on me on time leaves at 7:40 and I'm in Athlone an hour early with about a 10-15 minute walk to the office.

I'll be driving from Monday as I'll be getting a car. It's a 1.2 petrol so don't think I'll dare go near 120kph as it would cost me a fortune in fuel. In saying that I still reckon I'll do the commute in an hour each way. Mental and all as it sounds I'll be getting to Athlone in the same amount of time as it took me to get to Salthill even though I'm going half way across the country (extra cost of it is frustrating mind).

TDLR while Oranmore is a lovely place to live (and Galway City is a great place to work) if at all possible I'd at least look into living somewhere closer like Mervue. As others have said though Knocknacarra would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Very cycleable if u had showers at work. What is it 10-12k?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Very cycleable if u had showers at work. What is it 10-12k?

Yeah so around 30mins for an average commuting cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

J o e wrote: »
    Yeah so around 30mins for an average commuting cyclist.

Ah more like 40mins at a min I reckon. Depends on where in Oranmore one would be located?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

What about a moped or electric bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

On first read I thought the notion of cycling was ludicrous but looking at the map it is < 15k even if you were at the arse end of Oranmore. Depending on the elevation differences and wind prone areas that is very doable for an average cyclist.

That said, then you have to do it again to get home. Personally there are some long days, especially if it's bad out, you just wouldn't want to put up with that crap to get home. However, with the boost from an eBike up a hill or to power through the wind might make it a real possibility. However even a cycle to work scheme would only take €500 out of what's likely a €2500+ investment (bike + gear + rack + panniers).

You sure would keep fit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lets stick with this now from OP and leave the cycling from Oranmore at the wayside until OP requests it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

<offtopic>

It would take me about an hour to stop sweating after a 30 minute cycle so unfortunately that is not really an option. Thanks for the information though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It would take me about an hour to stop sweating after a 30 minute cycle so unfortunately that is not really an option. Thanks for the information though.

Yeah, realistically for a lot of us, our workplaces have no shower facilities, which makes it an immediate non-runner. I think sometimes people forget this when proposing cycling along otherwise OK distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I drive Oranmore (Renville) to Salthill twice a week, my journey time can vary from anywhere between 30 mins to 1 hour, depending on if I get out of house before 8:20 or not. If I leave by 8:20 on a dry day I'm there by 9 no problem, any later and it could be well past 9, closer to half past.
    THis also varies based on school term as I travel the Maree road and so have to pass the chaos of a morning school drop offs in the Boys school and can end up getting stuck then with hold ups in the village due to the other schools.
    My biggest hold up is always coming towards the clinic and then the road through Renmore, but its no better going the ring road as I'll get held up at Briarhill.

THe return journey also varies greatly with timing, sometimes I fly through and other times it can take an hour.

If I actually worked on the west side of the city every day I would absolutely focus my househunting over there. Much as I absolutely love Oranmore I couldn't cope with that commute every day.

Hi,
    Still looking into this. Accomodation in Salthill is scarce and expensive. Knocknacarra has a few options but we are wondering about living a bit closer to town. Would living in the Headford Road area have similar problems as the commute from Oranmore. Less distance but still have to cross the river. The kids are enrolled in schools in Salthill so it may not be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you plan to drive during peak traffic then live on the west side of the river.
    Look into Barna, Spiddal and such

How about the Newcastle area, on the right side of the river. Is the traffic ok once you are across the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

How about the Newcastle area, on the right side of the river. Is the traffic ok once you are across the water?

Newcastle would probably be handy for Salthill and Oranmore. You still have to cross the river to get to and from work, but you'd be just off the Quincentery bridge, which is the only decent sized one.

To be honest, the commute times are bad in Galway, but probably more bad for the size of the city than anything else. If you're trying to cross the city at peak-times, it's going to take a lot longer than an hour or so either side. If your employer is okay with it, I'd look to start and finish a bit earlier/later. That would solve a good deal of the issues.

youngrun wrote: »
    Traffic volumes in Galway have increased 25% in last 4 years, and 10% in one years, and probably increased similarly last couple of years since this report
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/traffic-volumes-galway-jump-10-per-cent-year/
    More traffic, more volume, more delays.
    Only going to keep rising delays unless a move to major public transport solution, and/or new road space and /or building high density housing
    Very slow moving around the city, years of lack of planning , and allowing ribbon development.
    I would certainly favour living close to work/bus route or walking distance if i were moving to Galway, nice city but very poor quality of life if commuting c 8-10 hours per week for a c 10 mile round trip which is what a lot do, plus more if doing weekend runs for family/kids

Dude, you posted once. That’s enough. Enough of the “I can’t believe it’s not politics” posts.

OP, Knocknacarra or further west is your best option at this time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

If you can find something in Newcastle it would suit well, there are some rentals in Lower Salthill/Grattan kind of area after that Knocknacarra considering the kids are enrolled locally

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement