Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lone parent do I Have to apply or can I stay on jobseekers

• 22-02-2018 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there I’m just wondering about the fact that I’m pregnant with my first child and me and the babies dad are together but don’t live together (as he works quiet far away) once the baby arrives can I stay signing on for Jobseeker’s Allowance ( as I am currently not working) or do I have to apply for lone parents allowance? I ask because I intend on continuing looking for work and will be getting help from the babies dad anyway so would prefer not to go down the messy root and apply for lone parents when financially I will be ok anyway with help from the dad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

How would you get lone parent if you are not a lone parent?

If your partner is on low money, look into Family Income Supplement (FIS), it might be a better option than Jobseekers. Jobseekers might be hard given you will be taking care of a baby.

Congrats on the baby and best of luck.

Edit: Sorry, to answer your question directly, yes you can hold onto your Jobseekers payment, you are entitled to work just like anyone else. But as your payment will be a reduced payment based on your partner's earnings, maybe FIS might be better for your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mountain34

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. Well you can get lone parent if you are not living with the babies dad you see. And also not sure if he can apply for fis when not living with me and the baby. This is why I was asking is it a “Must” to apply for lone parent or can I stay on jobseekers when I will continue to look for work after the baby arrives.
    Thanks anyway for reply 😊

myshirt wrote: »
    How would you get lone parent if you are not a lone parent?

If your partner is on low money, look into Family Income Supplement (FIS), it might be a better option than Jobseekers. Jobseekers might be hard given you will be taking care of a baby.

Congrats on the baby and best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi
    Ignore the other reply. You absolutely can get lone parent but of course you can stay on JSA and add baby to the claim. You don’t have to apply for lone parent at all. And if you change your mind yo can apply at any stage before your baby is 7.
    Your dead right he won’t get FIS unless you totally sign off SW and you’re relying on him financially.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mountain34

Oh that’s super thanks so much for that info as I didn’t want to go through the messy process especially when my partner earns enough to help take care of baby so don’t want to be taking advantage when it’s not necessary also at some stage he plans on getting a transfer so will move in with me and baby sometime (hopefully soon)
    Thank you very much for the information again :)
    Take care
    splinter65 wrote: »
    Hi
    Ignore the other reply. You absolutely can get lone parent but of course you can stay on JSA and add baby to the claim. You don’t have to apply for lone parent at all. And if you change your mind yo can apply at any stage before your baby is 7.
    Your dead right he won’t get FIS unless you totally sign off SW and you’re relying on him financially.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Mountain34 wrote: »
    me and the babies dad are together but don’t live together

You also refer to him as your partner which would suggest that you are not entitled to lone parents.

Depending on exact circumstance it's possible that his earnings should be taken into a/c with your JSA payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Hi there I’m just wondering about the fact that I’m pregnant with my first child and me and the babies dad are together but don’t live together (as he works quiet far away) once the baby arrives can I stay signing on for Jobseeker’s Allowance ( as I am currently not working) or do I have to apply for lone parents allowance? I ask because I intend on continuing looking for work and will be getting help from the babies dad anyway so would prefer not to go down the messy root and apply for lone parents when financially I will be ok anyway with help from the dad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You are not a lone parent if you are in a relationship with the father.

AryaStark wrote: »
    You are not a lone parent if you are in a relationship with the father.

That’s just not true. If she is living separately from her partner then the Dept considers that she is parenting the child alone . An Inspector will visit her at home to establish this. And she’s not applying for lone parent.

Pronto63 wrote: »
    You also refer to him as your partner which would suggest that you are not entitled to lone parents.

Depending on exact circumstance it's possible that his earnings should be taken into a/c with your JSA payment.

She’s not applying for lone parent, and her exact circumstances are that she’s not living with him so his income will not figure in her means test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your cohabiting so your not entitled to lone parents

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

splinter65 wrote: »
    That’s just not true. If she is living separately from her partner then the Dept considers that she is parenting the child alone . An Inspector will visit her at home to establish this. And she’s not applying for lone parent.

If someone is getting financial support from a partner, whether they live with them or not, they are not a lone parent and so should not be accepting the allowance.
    Plenty of people pretend that they are not getting support or still dating the father in order to get this payment. Op has asked if they should move to loan parents payment. They shouldn't as they are not a loan parent.

• Advertisement

Oh that’s super thanks so much for that info as I didn’t want to go through the messy process especially when my partner earns enough to help take care of baby so don’t want to be taking advantage when it’s not necessary also at some stage he plans on getting a transfer so will move in with me and baby sometime (hopefully soon)
    Thank you very much for the information again :)
    Take care

If your partner is moving in with you, then you’re no longer a lone parent. Also bear in mind that you will have to declare change in circumstances when he does, which could affect your payment.

Good Luck with the next chapter in your life. Parenthood is brilliant.

Advertisement