Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illegal immigrant followed student home and raped her

• 22-02-2018 8:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who sees a problem with these headlines by the journal.ie

Man followed foreign student home on bus and raped her in her hallway, court hears

Man who followed student home from bus and raped her is jailed for ten years

There’s the two headings by thejournal.ie

What’s only briefly mentioned further down the article is the man is an illegal immigrant who shouldn’t be in the country and has wasted state resources trying to stop deportation. Questions need to be raised as to why he was not detained/deported following his first conviction

So they label the victim as a foreigner yet she actually has a legal obtained right to study here whereas this guy illegally entered our country and has a history of sexual offences.
    the court heard the man, an illegal immigrant, has a previous conviction for masturbating in public in 2013. He exposed himself in front of two women in Harcourt Street in Dublin, Garda Sylvia Ryan said.

Here’s a better title Illegal immigrant followed student home and raped her.

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-rape-followed-home-3848981-Feb2018/

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-who-followed-student-home-from-bus-and-raped-her-is-jailed-for-ten-years-3864740-Feb2018/
    He has three previous convictions, including two for abusive and threatening behaviour in public.
    Colman Cody SC, defending, said his client was a “productive member of society” who arrived in Ireland in 2013 and worked mainly on fishing trawlers.
    He has been in custody since his arrest and is a “model prisoner”, Mr Cody said. He urged the judge to be as lenient as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Presumably he'll be on the first flight back to Egypt on his release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

The OPs total lack of sympathy for the victim is startling!
    I doubt that she cares about his immigration status.
    Rape is a horrendous crime, sad to see one incident being used to push a particular political agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

This is a general attempt at deflecting and pushing an agenda among a lot of the main news organisations. The approach with BBC, Guardian, Daily Mail, IT etc should be to take every article as a starting point for the news story then do more reading to get the full facts; because you won’t from these media outlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It’s not being used to push an agenda. He had no business being in the country. He was illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

My sympathy is with the poor young woman who was raped.

Horrible ordeal to go through for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You think the fact that this guy was an illegal immigrant need to be headlined before the fact that he was a convicted sex offender, and this has nothing to do with "pushing an agenda"?

No offence, but we are not that stupid.

What’s only briefly mentioned further down the article is the man is an illegal immigrant who shouldn’t be in the country and has wasted state resources trying to stop deportation. Questions need to be raised as to why he was not detained/deported following his first conviction

So they label the victim as a foreigner yet she actually has a legal obtained right to study here whereas this guy illegally entered our country and has a history of sexual offences.

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-rape-followed-home-3848981-Feb2018/

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-who-followed-student-home-from-bus-and-raped-her-is-jailed-for-ten-years-3864740-Feb2018/

Nowhere in the linked articles does it state that he was here illegally or that he wasted taxpayers money appealing deportation, nor is the victim "labelled".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Should of been deported straight away in 2013. This is the whole problem our system is far to soft

It’s not being used to push an agenda. He had no business being in the country. He was illegal.

Link to evidence of that?

baylah17 wrote: »
    Link to evidence of that?
    He's describe in the Journal report as an "illegal immigrant", although no details are given as to the nature of the alleged illegality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Plenty wrong with the first headline, nothing with the second.

Unless you're happy when it's Irish men raping foreign women, but I'm sure you're not OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

He also got a reduced sentence for being a non-national.

"Ms Justice Kennedy said the rape offence merited a 12 year prison sentence. She reduced that to ten years in consideration of Gharib’s lack of relevant previous convictions and the fact that he is a non-national here."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

PC brigade be onto you now."oh what about his rights" "its your country now is it" etc Same old tripe.

PC brigade be onto you now."oh what about his rights" "its your country now is it" etc Same old tripe.

I doubt that.
    But most reasonable caring people would care more for what happened to the victim than to the nationality of the attacker.

Nobody gives a fcuk about his rights, it's exploiting someone's deeply traumatic and harrowing experience to further your own pathetic whiny agenda that people are calling out.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    He also got a reduced sentence for being a non-national.

"Ms Justice Kennedy said the rape offence merited a 12 year prison sentence. She reduced that to ten years in consideration of Gharib’s lack of relevant previous convictions and the fact that he is a non-national here."

How would they know what previous convictions he had. Do we even know how many illegals are in the country or what there backgrounds are. Worse still no one seems to give a damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Presumably he'll be on the first flight back to Egypt on his release.

Doubt it , it was reported last week he was seeking asylum protection here ,

The last time we had a similar case a young man came here from Africa on a student visa and within weeks violently raped a girl ,went to court and on the day of his sentence it was announced he was now seeking full asylum ,

Which he got while in prison despite a deportation order issued during his conviction

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

My heart breaks for women in Europe, so easily sacrificed at the altar of "progressives" sold out by the virtuous. #120db

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Gatling wrote: »

The last time we had a similar case a young man came here from Africa on a student visa and within weeks violently raped a girl ,went to court and on the day of his sentence it was announced he was now seeking full asylum ,

Which he got while in prison despite a deportation order issued during his conviction

I don't understand people who want him deported instead of imprisoned. If you believe his asylum application is bogus then you are advocating for a sex offender to be sent back to his own country with no repercussions for his crime.

Pepefrogok wrote: »
    My heart breaks for women in Europe, so easily sacrificed at the altar of "progressives" sold out by the virtuous. #120db
    Tripe
    Pure Neo Nazi Tripe

• Advertisement

Pepefrogok wrote: »

yes, I'm sure you are a staunch advocate for women's rights. :rolleyes:

Gatling wrote: »
    So the claim in the Journal report that he was an illegal immigrant, the detail that the OP felt should be headlined above all else, was wrong, then?

I don't understand people who want him deported instead of imprisoned. If you believe his asylum application is bogus then you are advocating for a sex offender to be sent back to his own country with no repercussions for his crime.

One simple answer. Should not of been here in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And people comlain about Trump wanting to build a wall to keep people similar to the assaliant in question here out of the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Nobody gives a fcuk about his rights, it's exploiting someone's deeply traumatic and harrowing experience to further your own pathetic whiny agenda that people are calling out.

What agenda?.
    If he wasn't here she wouldn't have been raped. Its simple truths like this should be at the front of immigration debates.

One simple answer. Should not of been here in the first place.

It's an answer to a different question though. He was here. He committed a crime. These things cannot be undone. So now we deal with the aftermath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They are not called illegal immigrants. For the last 15 years or so they have been know as undocumented. The same title given to the 10s of thousands of "illegal immigrant" Irish in the USA

And people comlain about Trump wanting to build a wall to keep people similar to the assaliant in question here out of the USA.
    Because all Mexicans are drug dealing murdering rapists:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What agenda?.
    If he wasn't here she wouldn't have been raped. Its simple truths like this should be at the front of immigration debates.

Pure deflection. 'If' 'if' 'if'.

The lady was raped, she was not the victim of an immigration debate.

• Advertisement

baylah17 wrote:
    Because all Mexicans are drug dealing murdering rapists

That was never said. What a ridiculous strawman

He serves his sentence first. He is collected from Prison by Gardai. He is handcuffed & taken to the airport. Two gardai get on the plane with him & bring him back home.

You always have to serve your sentence first. You are allowed to apply to serve your sentence in your home country

Because all Mexicans are drug dealing murdering rapists

In fairness Trump has certainly implied this so the "strawman" didn't pluck it from the sky.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You think the fact that this guy was an illegal immigrant need to be headlined before the fact that he was a convicted sex offender, and this has nothing to do with "pushing an agenda"?

No offence, but we are not that stupid.
    Well the Judge in this case doesn't think that him being a convicted sex offender was particularly relevant either:
    CrankyHaus wrote: »
    She reduced that to ten years in consideration of Gharib’s lack of relevant previous convictions and the fact that he is a non-national here."

Once again we have the pathetic I-must-defend-my-side-or-discredit-the-other-side bull**** in this thread. This is a clear failure where someone who shouldn't have been here has raped a young woman. One side pointing that out is accused of "point-scoring" by a side who can't just concede that yes, there was a failing and something should have been done about it and should be in future.

Well the Judge in this case doesn't think that him being a convicted sex offender was particularly relevant either:

Once again we have the pathetic I-must-defend-my-side-or-discredit-the-other-side bull**** in this thread. This is a clear failure where someone who shouldn't have been here has raped a young woman. One side pointing that out is accused of "point-scoring" by a side who can't just concede that yes, there was a failing and something should have been done about it and should be in future.

I don't think he was a convicted sex offender. He was convicted of a public order offence wasn't he?

I don't think he was a convicted sex offender. He was convicted of a public order offence wasn't he?
    I assumed masturbating in public was a sex offence, shows what I know.

• Advertisement

People making comparisons with america.

The illegal immigrant was found guilty of raping the woman but was granted his green card while in jail.

The illegal immigrant was caught performing a sex act in public but was let go and allowed to apply to stay in America.

Stop trying to defend these people.

I assumed masturbating in public was a sex offence, shows what I know.

It probably can be but it seems in that particular case he was charged with a non sexual offence.

People making comparisons with america.

The illegal immigrant was found guilty of raping the woman but was granted his green card while in jail.

The illegal immigrant was caught performing a sex act in public but was let go and allowed to apply to stay in America.

Stop trying to defend these people.

Can you link to a single post defending the rapist???
    just one will do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/06/16/full-text-donald-trump-announces-a-presidential-bid/?utm_term=.6a94bcb007a1
    When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists
    It was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What is the nazi talk about here? Stop with the hysterics please.

The nazis introduced laws that culminated in the wholesale systematic murder of German citizens.

People decrying savages' abuse of the asylum system here are trying to protect Irish citizens from attack by requesting that existing law be applied...

If they are the same thing to you - you are possibly beyond help.

That is why we have borders. Borders define a country. Very simple equation: No borders = no country. Management of these borders is our failure here.

• Advertisement

Can you link to a single post defending the rapist???
    just one will do.

Go back to the very first post. Justice cody I think. Or is your memory selective

Go back to the very first post. Justice cost I think. Or is your memory selective
    Still cant see anyone defending the rapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Tripe
    Pure Neo Nazi Tripe

Yeah damn those Nazis for concern over previously safe areas becoming no gone zones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yet again this country has failed to protect a person coming to this country to better themselves.

I hope she at least gets the Protection, Security and all the help she and family can receive now.

Yeah damn those Nazis for concern over previously safe areas becoming no gone zones.

The no go zones are all in the heads of the demented, they dont exist in real life, but sure never let the facts get in the way of a hate filled lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don’t get the anger at the OP for highlighting a serious flaw in this countries laws. If the illegal immigrant had been deported and out of the country then the poor girl wouldn’t have been raped and we as the tax payers wouldn’t have to pay for his legal representative or prison custody. The immigration laws in this country are a joke and those coming here illegally know that they will be afforded every opportunity to counter those laws at zero expense to them. We needs laws and enforcement like Australia. Put them on the first flight out of the country and they can appeal that decision from elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

topper75 wrote: »
    What is the nazi talk about here? Stop with the hysterics please.

The nazis introduced laws that culminated in the wholesale systematic murder of German citizens.

People decrying savages' abuse of the asylum system here are trying to protect Irish citizens from attack by requesting that existing law be applied...

If they are the same thing to you - you are possibly beyond help.

That is why we have borders. Borders define a country. Very simple equation: No borders = no country. Management of these borders is our failure here.
    The nazi talk (there is actually only one post about it) is about a certain poster who never showed the slightest bother about women, rape, etc previously now trying to push a 'movement' claiming to be concerned about women that is actually just (another) front for literal neo Nazis.

This is from Glenn Beck, who is very much a conservative and very much to the right.

http://www.glennbeck.com/2018/02/12/beneath-the-surface-the-120db-movement-sounds-an-awful-lot-like-the-alt-right/
    It’s easy to see why people would be moved to action. But before you hit ‘share,’ you might want to know the backstory. It turns out that the founders of the #120db campaign have a track record of exploiting serious social issues and civil calamities to gain momentum for what is actually an aggressive white supremacist movement called the Identitarian Movement.

The identitarian movement started as the French far-right group Génération Identitaire or Generation Identity. Their website says they are “a patriotic group that actively protects our homelands, freedoms and traditions.” That doesn’t sound bad … until you understand what they mean by active: violent hate crimes, shooting rampages, and extremist ideologies — the European far-right, white nationalism, and Nazism, to name a few. Generation Identity and many more organizations like it fall under the global umbrella of the extremist Identitarian Movement and more branches are springing up all over the world. “Like minded groups everywhere are uniting under the same banner. They are white supremacist, national socialists. They are NOT from the right,” explains Glenn in the clip above. “They are uber-left, socialist, racists. They weaponize actual problems like progressive border policies and radical Islam. Now, it’s one thing to call out an issue and give attention to what’s going on … but it is far different to raise a lynch-mob and storm a mosque.”

Yet again this country has failed to protect a person coming to this country to better themselves.

I hope she at least gets the Protection, Security and all the help she and family can receive now.

The sad truth is just like everything this will be about money, how many NGO's, charities, lawyers and activists dressed up as liberals, progressives and protector of the "vulnerable" will now make a fortune defending this man's rights including the right to stay in Ireland after serving his time?

Still cant see anyone defending the rapist.

So your saying he wasn't represented in court. I read he was a productive member of society and got a reduced sentence because he was a migrant. What do you think of this.

https://youtu.be/re7kcheSvYY

#believewomen
    #120db
    #notjusthollywood

• Advertisement
Advertisement