Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought a used car which I haven't driven!

Options
  • 22-02-2018 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

4 weeks ago I bought a used car from a dealer with a 3 month warranty. I drove the car home and noticed a few issues, particularly a large amount of white smoke on acceleration. The car was meant to be serviced before I picked it up but it was not done properly and book was not even stamped. Anyway I took it back to the dealer as soon as I could and they have supplied me with a loan car until I get mine back.

My problem is they have now had it for 3 weeks and I am wondering if I should just request a refund or should I give them more time if they are actually fixing the problem?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you asked them what the status is with it or what is the delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

If they haven't managed to fix it after 3 weeks, I would doubt they will (or want to), and it's obviously not something minor. I'd be asking for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Azban

As far as I'm aware the issue was something to do with the breather or maybe a valve. They said they have it so long because it's a big job they have to do. I also gave a list of a few things like a chip in the windshield and brake discs worn down so this may be some of the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Look for your money back
    Id say it was a lemon they sold you

3 weeks to fix a valve and change a few pads or discs,3 days in a busy shop at most

firstlight wrote: »
    Look for your money back
    Id say it was a lemon they sold you

3 weeks to fix a valve and change a few pads or discs,3 days in a busy shop at most

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to see what they say. It's an awful shame because the car was in great shape otherwise. Leather seats and immaculate inside.

• Advertisement

Azban wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I'm going to see what they say. It's an awful shame because the car was in great shape otherwise. Leather seats and immaculate inside.

Yes ring them,Find out whats going on
    Just for future reference,if when buying from a dealer or private seller bring somebody mechanically minded with you
    Even if it costs you a 100 euro for a few hours
    Peace of mind and somebody with knowledge is a real help

Hope it goes well
    What car was it by the way? year and engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would suggest getting a mechanic to give it a going over when you get it back.

They have an opportunity to fix.

Call them and keep pressure on.

Be understanding but don't let them fob you off.

What's the car and year, engine etc.

Just heard back from the garage, they said it has had a full engine rebuild and will be ready by the weekend. I'm receiving a full report so I might see how it drives when I collect it.

Just heard back from the garage, they said it has had a full engine rebuild and will be ready by the weekend. I'm receiving a full report so I might see how it drives when I collect it.

What car/year and engine? what price did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

What car/year and engine? what price did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

Its a BMW 320i (2 litre) 2006 and I paid €3800 for it.The dealer said the 3 month warranty will start from when I collect the car this second time. I've documented all correspondence with the dealer over email and have made sure I mentioned anything stated by him.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the replies, its good to get a few opinions.

Thanks everyone for the replies, its good to get a few opinions.

No problem
    Seems like a lot of cash for a car thats 12 year old
    If they say they done a full engine rebuild and you only payed that amount of money i cant see were they are making a profit on this car because i cant imagine a full engine rebuild for a BMW is cheap

Either way if i was you go to another garage or mechanic when you get the car and get it checked over,say nothing about the engine been rebuilt and see what they say

Best of luck with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

If they did indeed rebuild the engine while giving a loaner car and offer warranty from day of collection, I'd say it's fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Of course they didn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would say if they did and it's a big if, they probably still made money as car was most likely standing them near nothing.

Nobody wants a 2litre petrol high tax car.

I would say if they did and it's a big if, they probably still made money as car was most likely standing them near nothing.

Nobody wants a 2litre petrol high tax car.

I was thinking a big (((IF))) myself

By "engine rebuild" I'm guessing they mean they did whatever it took to cover up the problem long enough for the warranty to run out. There's no way the margin on a car of that price would cover a rebuild (especially on a beemer), any garage in that situation would give you your money back and sell the car at auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

OP.
    I'd ask for receipts of materials for the rebuild.

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    OP.

Not sure what that would prove though - I could get you receipts for the materials for a rebuild with one phone call - doesn't mean I either bought the parts, or, more importantly, fitted them.

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    OP.

I remember i asked a small dealer one time for a reciept on a timing belt they said they had done
    He showed my the tip ex mark on the engine

Needless to say i didnt buy that car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

O ye of little faith :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's no way they rebuilt the engine. That's just crazy talk, madness for them to say.

Spewing white smoke could be a number of things but I would put money on it being the CCV/oil breather valve. It's a common enough fault, and at least in 6 cylinder cars it's a painful job.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I was thinking a big (((IF))) myself

No need to get anti-Semitic now.

ED E wrote: »
    No need to get anti-Semitic now.

Lets just say i would not believe a word they say
    From my own personal experience

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't put much faith in the value of a 3 month warranty from a dealer on a 12 year old car, it's not worth the paper it's written on as there is little profit in offering warranties on cars of that age or value. I'd also be very skeptical of them rebuilding or replacing the engine. They probably put some fix in place that will last a bit until the warranty expires and they tell it's not their problem.

If you can get your money back then that's the best result but I'd say you would have a huge battle on your hands with that. It's a terrible situation to be in and I wish you luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Rebuild on that car is 2k. Oil separator would manifest itself with rough running, not with smoke and it's 3 hrs job max. These bmws also suffer from whining diffs, check for it before committing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

OP had a similar situation recently myself bought a 10 year old car from a main dealer with a 3 mth warranty car was back with them 3 times in a month.

Was told the head gasket was gone and had been replaced over 1k spent on repairs.

Got the car back after 24 hrs it literally went bang on the motorway, car was towed back to the garage and i got a refund.

3 weeks later the car was for sale on donedeal privately with the headline head gasket gone hence price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

3800 is crazy money even for a non lemon. Selling lemons to mugs is how stealers operate. You're far far far better off buying privately for sub 10k cars. Not only is it cheaper the cars tend to be in much better nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If there is any possibility of a refund, take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I'm interested in this thread to see if the dealer turns out to be genuine.

Are we allowed the dealer name as so far they sound decent if true ?

It may be a slightly older car and you may not have spent a massive amount of money at the dealer for a dealer but they did do a deal with you and made a promise so if they are decent they should keep said promise.

OP please keep us updated on this

Advertisement