Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soil samples for science project

Options
  • 22-02-2018 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'm doing a college project on microplastics and am hoping to get in contact with farmers/landowners in Co. Cork that would allow me to take a small sample of soil for analysis.

I'm especially interested in land that has had sewage sludge spread in previous years, or tillage land where plastic mulch has been used e.g. maize.

If you would be willing to help (I'll travel out to you and everything) drop me a PM. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭alps

I'm doing a college project on microplastics and am hoping to get in contact with farmers/landowners in Co. Cork that would allow me to take a small sample of soil for analysis.

I'm especially interested in land that has had sewage sludge spread in previous years, or tillage land where plastic mulch has been used e.g. maize.

If you would be willing to help (I'll travel out to you and everything) drop me a PM. Thanks!

Good luck with your project. Interesting how microplastics are now being found in Atlantic fish, the plastics having made their way from make up of all things, all the way through from facial cleansing through the waste water systems and finally out to sea..

Will be interesting to see what you turn up....

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

alps wrote: »
    Good luck with your project. Interesting how microplastics are now being found in Atlantic fish, the plastics having made their way from make up of all things, all the way through from facial cleansing through the waste water systems and finally out to sea..

Thanks alps. The jury's still out as to how much they are impacting aquaculture, agriculture, ecosystems... time (and studies!) will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

alps wrote: »

Youngest sent me this during the week
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/about-us/news-and-events/news-archive/2018/february/study-finds-73-of-deep-water-fish-ingested-microplastics-from-the-northwest-atlantic-ocean--1.html

Advertisement