Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating mileage with new rates

Options
  • 22-02-2018 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi I am an employee in a small business and we are trying to sort out my mileage expenses, basically I do the same mileage each week more or less, the new system has 4 bands in which to calculate my expenses, looking on the revenue website it says we can follow the current schedule of civil service rates or use rates not higher than the civil service rates.

Would I be correct in thinking that if I know my annual mileage I can work out my annual mileage expenses following the four bands and then divide the annual mileage expense by the mileage number to get an average amount per mile just to simplify the excel sheet I require for records

not sure if i am making myself clear but say for example i travel 100km per week there for 5200km annually
    1500 x 44.79 cents is €681.85 (Band 1 1-1500km)
    3700 x 83.53 cents is €3090.61 (Band 2 1501-5500km)

Total amount owed is €3772.46
    Divide that by 5200 kilometers
    Therefor my rate would be 75.25 cents per kilometer

Is this method acceptable, the rate is higher than band 1 but lower than band 2 so it balances out annually.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

pamweld wrote: »
    Hi I am an employee in a small business and we are trying to sort out my mileage expenses, basically I do the same mileage each week more or less, the new system has 4 bands in which to calculate my expenses, looking on the revenue website it says we can follow the current schedule of civil service rates or use rates not higher than the civil service rates.

Would I be correct in thinking that if I know my annual mileage I can work out my annual mileage expenses following the four bands and then divide the annual mileage expense by the mileage number to get an average amount per mile just to simplify the excel sheet I require for records

not sure if i am making myself clear but say for example i travel 100km per week there for 5200km annually
    1500 x 44.79 cents is €681.85 (Band 1 1-1500km)
    3700 x 83.53 cents is €3090.61 (Band 2 1501-5500km)

Total amount owed is €3772.46
    Divide that by 5200 kilometers
    Therefor my rate would be 75.25 cents per kilometer

Is this method acceptable, the rate is higher than band 1 but lower than band 2 so it balances out annually.

It balances out annually but what happens if the travel ceases half way through the year, and you have overclaimed.

I'd just claim it as per guidelines, 44.79c for the first 1,500km and so on.

Advertisement