Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you run?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 only running

Early morning before kids are up for me, usually out for 6 but can be earlier in the summer. Really nice way to start the day. I never really enjoyed running in the evening,

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Early morning before kids are up for me, usually out for 6 but can be earlier in the summer. Really nice way to start the day. I never really enjoyed running in the evening,

I always felt a lot better in the evenings doing any sort of exercise. For a good few years though I was doing mornings sessions, whether it was running, swimming or gym. On a practical level mornings are easier to fit into a busy daily routine. But given the choice I'd prefer evenings. Seems as though it's not to be though

• Registered Users Posts: 18 only running

Yeah i started running early morning for practical reasons too - mainly kids and tidying wrecked house in the evening. But have grown to like being up early, streets are quiet and stating the day fresh. Life will probably decide for you when you can run!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Every morning...I'm currently on a 4 month streak. Except if I'm going to a race and it is in the afternoon, then the afternoon!

But worried the weather this week will break my running streak. If it snows I can't risk running and breaking an ankle etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

After work, first thing. Echo what others have said here that you really need to get straight out ASAP after arriving home otherwise the temptation to leave it is way too high!

Before I started running a few months back I was big into the gym/weightlifting etc and always went first thing in the morning, 5/6am. Did that a few times with running and for some reason I find it a million times harder in the morning with running than I did with the gym! Running in the mornings - I’m stiff, sluggish, slow - after work I feel unstoppable (sometimes :D )

I think like with everything, you need to find what works for you.

• Advertisement

I picked a hell of a week to start back running! :pac:

I got out Monday morning & Tuesday evening. Tuesday was a little ropey with ice etc.

I did no planned running between Wednesday & today - although I spent a lot of time over the past few days digging roads & footpaths that were covered in snow and ice & pushing cars out of icy conditions - as well as running around in 6 inch deep snow with a rope around me and one of the kids holding the other end while sitting on a home-made sled! so plenty of activity over the past few days!

Once the footpaths are safe again I'll keep up with the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Theonly way

Ride a horse out and you will be fit for alot more than work.
    Gets the Adrenalin flowing and also exercises muscles that you dont even know you have .
    Truly !!

And when you are finished turn on the tv and back them .Ha !!!!

As I do..

Best bet today in a few moments .

Finish my data study

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Early mornings before the kids need dropped to school or to training/matches at the weekend.

That means 6 or earlier if I want to get 2-3 hours in, and always done fasted. This has worked well for me over the last 2 years, and has hugely improved my fat burning ability. Ran my fastest marathon last year taking on nothing but water.

Plus you get quiet roads, the occasional fantastic sunrise and the early morning sounds of nature.

Admittedly, speedwork is easier at lunchtimes or evenings!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Bloody snow!!! It's as if the weather Gods dont want me to get back running at all!

Been getting out regularly enough now and enjoying being back out running again. Did 5K this evening for the first time in a long time! Felt great. Although it took me about 10 mins more than my old 'usual' 5K time.

Bit of a shock how slow I am really. 2 nights ago I did 3K - and it took a minute longer than my 5K PB of 20:10

To be expected though I suppose. Still, I'm back doing it which is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

tempnam wrote: »
    Bloody snow!!! It's as if the weather Gods dont want me to get back running at all!

Been getting out regularly enough now and enjoying being back out running again. Did 5K this evening for the first time in a long time! Felt great. Although it took me about 10 mins more than my old 'usual' 5K time.

Bit of a shock how slow I am really. 2 nights ago I did 3K - and it took a minute longer than my 5K PB of 20:10

To be expected though I suppose. Still, I'm back doing it which is the main thing.

Do you run a regular route?

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Do you run a regular route?

I've a few routes of different distances that I tend to stick to alright. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on getting back into it in some of the worst weather! Don't worry about times for now, that'll come back, get the consistency and the rest will follow.

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done on getting back into it in some of the worst weather! Don't worry about times for now, that'll come back, get the consistency and the rest will follow.

Thanks. Had to buy a couple of new tops though - all my old gear is extremely tight at the moment - must have shrunk in the wash :D

Think myself and the (pregnant) wife have similar sized bellies at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks. Had to buy a couple of new tops though - all my old gear is extremely tight at the moment - must have shrunk in the wash :D

Think myself and the (pregnant) wife have similar sized bellies at the moment!

:pac:

That'll take care of itself too with consistent running...

Just hands off the kids' easter eggs :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I still have some Easter chocolate, as well as a box full of the remnants of Roses, Heroes and Quality Street, in the goody press.

It's either a measure of how much chocolate we get into this house, or my impressive self control.

:pac:

That'll take care of itself too with consistent running...

That's half the problem. Keeping away from the food! Aside from running I've a sedentary lifestyle: home/car/office/car/home - but still have the appetite of a very active person!!

Anyway - did 3K this evening in 17:30. Feeling good but also consciously trying to remember not to go for too much too soon as it's been so long since I've done any consistent real training... concerned about something gong wrong early on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I've a few routes of different distances that I tend to stick to alright. Why?

I found having 2 favoured routes with minimal road crossings helped me. I do run up around by the national aquatic centre. Quiet area with very few junctions and a really good smooth cycle lane to use. Found that knowing the route well gave me an opportunity to push/coast where necessary

My 10km time dropped from an Initial 60 min to a best of 43.56. Usually do around 47-48 now.

My parkrun time is usually 22-23 minutes but my quickest is 20.45.

Advertisement