Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent review

Options
  • 22-02-2018 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm currently renting a house since August 2015. I got a year's lease at the start and haven't signed one since. My landlord wants to meet to renew a contract and do a rent review. Is there any benefit to signing a new lease and what are the guidelines regarding a rent increase. I'm not in a pressure zone. Landlord is very nice but I just want to know my rights. Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Take a look at the RTB website for advice.
    Your LL can raise the rent to market value but has to show three comparable properties to fix that market rate & give the correct notice period. You could try & negotiate if you feel it’s too much by pointing out the benefits of keeping a decent tenant in place.
    It’s of no big advantage to you to sign a new lease except if there is no break clause in the lease (such as the LL has the right to end the fixed term if he wants to sell or requires the house for a relative). I can’t see any other benefit to a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

If the lease doesn't include a break clause, then it does provide more security of tenure for you for the term, as the landlord can't terminate for the normal Part 4 reasons during the lease period unless the lease specifically allows it. However, keep in mind that it also locks you into the lease for the same period of time and if you wanted to leave early, you'd either have to find a new tenant yourself to sublet or assign the lease to (and if the landlord refuses to allow it, then you can terminate the lease without penalty), or you'd continue to owe the landlord rent until the property is re-let or the lease term ends, whichever comes first (assuming the landlord makes a good-faith effort to re-let, of course).

One other thing to consider; if the landlord offers you a lease (now or in the future) that extends well past August 2019 and has no break clause, it would effectively mean the landlord would be unable to prevent a Further Part 4 tenancy from commencing by serving you notice beforehand to take effect within the "first few days" of the Further Part 4 tenancy, since he would be unable to terminate during the lease term. This would basically give you guaranteed security of tenure under Part 4 for an additional six years from August 2019. Just something to keep in mind.

Advertisement