Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deer hunting licence

• 22-02-2018 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi so this is the year I start deer hunting. I have permission on private land of 200ac. But curious, I know if going through caoilte you need your hcap done but if I’m private land when applying for a deer licence through the npws do they require you to have a hcap done as well or will they give you a licence without one. I am doing a hcap because I think it’s very useful but I’m more trying to settle an arguement. I’ve searched everywhere online ann’s can’t find info about this. Any help would be great thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

No you dont need it and never have.
    Search HCAP here and sit back for a long night of reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You're far better of reading the BASC level I stalker course material and if you're really academically inclined and are fluent in German read the minimum syllabus on deer you need to digest for the German hunting licence exam.

To successfully hunt deer on private land you need knowledge of open seasons and the difference between with or without antlers, a decent rifle and scope, a reasonably accurate and safe shot, a decent knife, a butcher's saw, a place to hang and butcher your deer and space in your freezer. And above all you need to appreciate that the work only starts after the shot. Dealing with a deer carcass is essentially the same as dealing with a hare or rabbit carcass but the size and weight make it a touch less straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

The Best reference guide you can read for free. Also a hard bound copy is available to buy for little money.

Here
    http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk
    http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/guides
    15 pounds for the hard copy posted

and here

http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/best_practice/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.......... but if I’m private land when applying for a deer licence through the npws do they require you to have a hcap done...........
    No. If they try ignore them. it's not law despite the statements of certain vested interest groups.
    .............. I’ve searched everywhere online ann’s can’t find info about this. Any help would be great thank you
    Have a read of this, and the relevant part:
    In that regard the Minister is satisfied that the most appropriate course of action is to consider the introduction of an appropriate training and certification process for first time applicants for deer hunting licences to commence from a date which will be determined in due course but certainly no later than 2020
    So if a course is introduced it will/may be only for first time applicants and NOT for everyone.

However that is some way off so for now the simple answer is NO. No course is required, and there is no legally/officially recognised course in Ireland INCLUDING the hcap. It's a course that Coilte want as a CYA exercise.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Thompst1111

Thanks for the replies. Any of you know where I can go to sight a full bore gun without being a member?? Any ranges you know of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement