Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best to expect for €1000

Options
  • 22-02-2018 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Using cycling to work, whats the spec I should be looking to get?

Is shimano ultegra groupset (or 105) the way to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Kuva wrote: »

What’s the plan? Commute to work? Sportives?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

following - also in the same spot as op. 16km to-and-fro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

siochain wrote: »
    What’s the plan? Commute to work? Sportives?

Oh, im after a road bike, live in the country, just to get out on my days off. I went looking for a bike this time last year and gave up in the end. Couldn't decide what I wanted + very poor bike shops (Midlands), vast majority were unwilling to even let me have a test spin, nearly pulled the trigger on one but then found the exact same bike online but in a B&M store in Dublin for €200 Less!

Im gonna head into the 2 least useless shops from last year and buy best I can. I remember googling groupsets after a few visits and most of the shops were selling old stuff, newer stuff had less gears, can remember how many.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Having owned or currently own bikes with 6800 Ultegra, 5800 105, 4600 Tiagra, 5700 105 and Claris, I'd recommend getting the best frame you can and stick with 4700 Tiagra, its a great groupset, very slick and will do all and more than you need for leisure spins.

I have a Merida Ride 100 with 8spd Claris and it is such a nice bike and Claris is a considerably nicer groupset than 5700 105. Its a bit gappy being an 8spd with an 11/32 cassette but I plan on changing to a 12/28 which should help.

following - also in the same spot as op. 16km to-and-fro.

Im 33km but job very physical so not an option.

• Advertisement

Having owned or currently own bikes with 6800 Ultegra, 5800 105, 4600 Tiagra, 5700 105 and Claris, I'd recommend getting the best frame you can and stick with 4700 Tiagra, its a great groupset, very slick and will all and more you need.

What frame?

Having owned or currently own bikes with 6800 Ultegra, 5800 105, 4600 Tiagra, 5700 105 and Claris, I'd recommend getting the best frame you can and stick with 4700 Tiagra, its a great groupset, very slick and will all and more you need.

Jaysus, different versions of groupsets, what changed with the 4600 and 4700?

Jaysus, different versions of groupsets, what changed with the 4600 and 4700?

Re-worked front and derailleur with slicker/freer shifting. Hidden shifter cables. I test rode a bike a few weeks ago with 4700, I never actually looked at the groupset before hopping on it and there is very little if any difference in shifting with it and my 6800 bike, I didn't realise it was 4700 till I got off and looked at it.

Re-worked front and derailleur with slicker/freer shifting. Hidden shifter cables. I test rode a bike a few weeks ago with 4700, I never actually looked at the groupset before hopping on it and there is very little if any difference in shifting with it and my 6800 bike, I didn't realise it was 4700 till I got off and looked at it.

Thats high praise, 4700 is half the price of 6800 on chainreaction.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have a look at the Dolan website - they offer very good value for money, and quality frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

in the same process myself and I've 99% settled on a Giant Contend sl 2 disc model with 10 spd tiagra. A bit above 1000 but reports are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Midlands, if your near athlone call into http://planetxireland.com hard to beat for value

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know other people got in long before me - but an ultegra groupset on discount - on its own - would probably cost you more than half your budget. are you budgeting for any accessories within your 1k spend? remember that at that price point, pedals are rarely included. and if you've not budgeted for pedals, you may not have budgeted for shoes.

i know other people got in long before me - but an ultegra groupset on discount - on its own - would probably cost you more than half your budget. are you budgeting for any accessories within your 1k spend? remember that at that price point, pedals are rarely included. and if you've not budgeted for pedals, you may not have budgeted for shoes.

Pedals are extra? jaysus

€250 for both extra ish on chainreaction...shoes can wait

siochain wrote: »
    Midlands, if your near athlone call into http://planetxireland.com hard to beat for value

They're 1 of my 2 to try. I have to use these guys to buy https://www.travelhub.ie/ , little bit restrictive, voucher system.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

I just took delivery during the week of this bike on the bike to work. Add code save50 and brings it just over the grand to €1015.33

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-racing-ultegra-se/#pid=49909

I paid a bit extra as I upgraded the brakes to ultegra and got a carbon seatpost. Must change over my Zondas wheels onto it next.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

ruffmut wrote: »
    I just took delivery during the week of this bike on the bike to work. Add code save50 and brings it just over the grand to €1015.33

I paid a bit extra as I upgraded the brakes to ultegra and got a carbon seatpost. Must change over my Zondas wheels onto it next.

Does it really make much difference to a bike that the seat post is carbon??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from what i understand, it can make a difference to comfort, especially if the frame is stiffer than average. it absorbs some of the bumps.

Pedals are extra? jaysus
    there are multiple standards for pedals, most of which use proprietary cleats, so they don't pre-judge your choice in the shops.
    if you're spending that much on a bike, it's worth considered 'clipless' pedals (i.e. ones where the shoes clip into them) to get the best from the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

ruffmut wrote: »

It makes a difference comfort wise as the carbon absorbs more bumps from the road. Also no fear of the seat post getting stuck in the frame of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

The Boardmans can be good in Halfords. I've a team carbon for a couple of years and its a fine bike for < €1000 (though I torqued and serviced it from the start myself. I have heard that their mechanics can be a bit hit and miss)

As for pedals etc - I think Halfords supply flat pedals with their bikes but... you could go clipless for ~€80 (and these are not even the cheapest combo.)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/diadora-x-phantom-ii-mtb-spd-shoes/rp-prod156830
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m530-spd-trail-clipless-mtb-pedals/rp-prod67249

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

They're 1 of my 2 to try. I have to use these guys to buy https://www.travelhub.ie/ , little bit restrictive, voucher system.

If you're near Mullingar, try Steve in Outdoor Escape - can recommend them and they are on the list with travel hub..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Russman

in the same process myself and I've 99% settled on a Giant Contend sl 2 disc model with 10 spd tiagra. A bit above 1000 but reports are really good.

+1 on this. I'm far from an expert but with a bit of haggling you should be able to get this for only a little over €1k I'd say. I got the SL 1 Disc model and the LBS knocked €150 off the asking price, so I'd imagine there'd be a bit of fat to come off the SL2 also. Even better if you could find last year's model which is basically the same as this years.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Have a look at the Dolan website - they offer very good value for money, and quality frames.
    10% off everything on the Dolan site until Monday - code PAYDAY10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Can most road bikes take mud guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Can most road bikes take mud guards?

every road bike can take the likes of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-narrow-road-clip-on-rear-mudguard/

but if you want permanent type ones (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-narrow-road-mudguard-set/) you need "eyelets" which aren't on 95% of road bikes.

alot of CX bikes have eyelets

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You can also fit SKS raceblade type mudguards on a lot of roadbikes. The are a bit finnicky to set up and don't protect the bike as well, but they do a good job of keeping you dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I presume you know, but just in case -you can go over the €1000 on the bike to work scheme if you want, you just get no tax break on the balance over the 1k.

I know a few people who commented on my bike being over the 1k limit and wondered what the story was.

Advertisement