Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Position - Culture is VERY uncommon

Options
  • 22-02-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I think.. I just got the chance to start at a very good internship. BUT interview didnt go too well and interviewer being very outspoken told me what I lacked and how they will deal with my lack of skills. Now I don't mind this because it confirms some stuff I've been thinking of recently and will guide me now.

My issue is, they asked me to come in Saturday and there wont be any guidance as to what to do but to just jump in a figure out where I can help and apply my knowledge from other areas.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to function and cope in a workplace where you will work as a team but you are thrown in the deep end immediately and have to independently find your place and figure out what you are to do without someone telling you? (Also do you think someone will tell me at least one thing or am I on my ow?)

I hope this makes sense. Its interns verses interns I feel and in this industry its to the death sometimes but I've been lucky so far to not have any competition or full independence like this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s really just a further interviewing technique, they will see how you react to vagueness in relation to others put in the same position.

Identify someone who has a grasp of what the goal of the team is, preferably someone senior.
    Get enough information from them to assertain where the biggest roadblock or problem is that they are having.
    Decide if your skills can contribute in a meaningful way to this problem.
    If not, see if you can slot in on something that can free up someone more experienced who can work on that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 baekadelah

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s really just a further interviewing technique, they will see how you react to vagueness in relation to others put in the same position.

Identify someone who has a grasp of what the goal of the team is, preferably someone senior.
    Get enough information from them to assertain where the biggest roadblock or problem is that they are having.
    Decide if your skills can contribute in a meaningful way to this problem.
    If not, see if you can slot in on something that can free up someone more experienced who can work on that problem.

Thanks for replying! Will asking be detrimental though? Sometimes I worry asking what should I do or if there is anything I can do, could defeat the purpose of independent working..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

... NOT asking what might be regarded as "silly" or "obvious " questions can be regarded as a big no-no. You are not supposed to take a course of action without sure of what you are doing and it should not be regarded as a sin to ask questions and get confirmation from the team on a course of action to take.

Most mission critical jobs do not have a high regard for lone wolves or wiseacre know-it-alls and value consensus seeking and communications above all.

Lets hope you work out well, the trouble with our so-called education system is that it is a competitive race for high points where the other pupils in the school are seen as a liability and a barrier to progress to each individual in the system. In real life you need to seek allies and a support system and build interdependent teams, not strike out on your own for the highest score......

• Registered Users Posts: 15 baekadelah

doolox wrote: »
    ... NOT asking what might be regarded as "silly" or "obvious " questions can be regarded as a big no-no. You are not supposed to take a course of action without sure of what you are doing and it should not be regarded as a sin to ask questions and get confirmation from the team on a course of action to take.

Most mission critical jobs do not have a high regard for lone wolves or wiseacre know-it-alls and value consensus seeking and communications above all.

Lets hope you work out well, the trouble with our so-called education system is that it is a competitive race for high points where the other pupils in the school are seen as a liability and a barrier to progress to each individual in the system. In real life you need to seek allies and a support system and build interdependent teams, not strike out on your own for the highest score......

Yeah the competitiveness is a killer, you can get the same results by just watching people work at the same thing, and more so as team. You can see who is more beneficial and who is just chucking people under the bus for their own benefit.

For example, they need windows blacked out, these windows a re huge and have slatted blinds on them already but they dont allow complete darkness (typical office blinds). I have an idea Ive used elsewhere, but worried it is not appropriate for a place like this. My plan so far is to actually get there earlier than the suggested time, get a feel for whats about to happen, find out as much as can in regards to what needs to be done and do it throughout the day until theres something I need to ask about and not worry about asking.

Advertisement