Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best value upgrade from a S6?

• 22-02-2018 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Wife is out of contract with 3 on her Galaxy S6. Getting quoted silly prices to upgrade to S8....so whats the best SIM free Android phone out there around €150 budget.Something that runs similar(or better!) to S7 i.e good camera,quick,good screen,ability to buy cases/covers.
    And what network would people recommend if she goes PAYG?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A Xiaomi Mi A1 is a good budget option in the sub 200 price bracket. It's a solid phone for the price. But I think you'll have to lower expectations at least a bit for your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Cheers. I'm not up to speed on Chinese phones but I'll check that out. Would it have better specs than the S6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

64GB storage, 4GB RAM and a good processor in the Mi A1. I would say it would beat the specs of the S6. Things like the camera are good, but I would be doubtful that it's better than the S6. It's the main drawback of most cheaper phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If there is nothing wrong the s6, I'd hold onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

Buy the Xiaomi dual Sim Mi A1. Great phone cost you about €230 delivered from amazon.se with a 2 year guarantee or €180 from Eglobal.

Only downside I know of is camera not great in low life.

Android One software directly supported by Google.

Xiaomi is a very reliable brand, big seller in Chine and India.
    Can't afford defects on the margins they are getting.

Dual Sim allows u to use one network for data ( Eir €30 for 50GB for 180 days)
    and another sim for phone/text. Tesco €15 a month unlimited call to networks and landline.

No danger with getting hit with some outrageous charges on contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭loopymum

paddy19 wrote: »
    Buy the Xiaomi dual Sim Mi A1. Great phone cost you about €230 delivered from amazon.se with a 2 year guarantee or €180 from Eglobal.

Only downside I know of is camera not great in low life.

Android One software directly supported by Google.

Xiaomi is a very reliable brand, big seller in Chine and India.
    Can't afford defects on the margins they are getting.

Dual Sim allows u to use one network for data ( Eir €30 for 50GB for 180 days)
    and another sim for phone/text. Tesco €15 a month unlimited call to networks and landline.

No danger with getting hit with some outrageous charges on contract.

Tesco include 10gb data with the top up offer too and still leave you the credit

Advertisement