Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling sick at the thoughts of buying and selling or vice versa

Options
  • 22-02-2018 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

We have to move, there I said it. We live in a lovely area. Lovely house but we want more space and privacy. I know we need to do it and we want to do it but the thoughts of having to get the house in order to sell. Having strangers traipsing around the house. Trying to find a new house etc. possibly having to sell first then rent then buy. Is there anyone else as head wrecked as me out there. It doesn’t help that we don’t know exactly where we want to move to. I’m usually as cool as a cucumber but my head is officially wrecked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

We have to move, there I said it. We live in a lovely area. Lovely house but we want more space and privacy. I know we need to do it and we want to do it but the thoughts of having to get the house in order to sell. Having strangers traipsing around the house. Trying to find a new house etc. possibly having to sell first then rent then buy. Is there anyone else as head wrecked as me out there. It doesn’t help that we don’t know exactly where we want to move to. I’m usually as cool as a cucumber but my head is officially wrecked.

Yep. I was in your shoes three and a half years ago. I felt deep down that we needed to move. The rest of my family were happy enough to stay where we were. It was stressful as we were selling to fund the new house & we were in a chain.
    I was stricken with doubts the whole way through the process & the last week before we moved was the worst as my son was upset at moving from the only house he’d known and his pal next door. One our last night in the old house I couldn’t quite believe what I’d done.
    But it was all worth it - I visit my old neighbours still & when I go back I’m glad we moved & I look at my old house with fondness but not regret. The rest of the family are happy & my son settled & made new friends around the new house in no time (it helped that he didn’t move school)

When you find the house you want to move to everything will fall into place better, but until it’s over all you’ll probably question your decision.doesnt mean you shouldn’t do it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

It’s natural to have doubts. We had our house sort of sold way back in the boom. The other party signed contracts but we hadn’t yet.

By accident we found out it was a brother of a good mate of mine buying our house, as they had sold their house ,we let them move some of their stuff into our house. We were looking to buy a bigger house but it fell through plus I got a terrible feeling about selling, I think it was 6 months before the bubble burst. We would of been in massive debt.

Hardest thing was to ring the other party and let them know we weren’t selling. It was brutal to be honest as my friends brother had sold their house plus he lost his job while we had most of their furniture in our house!

It was a big mistake to let them move stuff into ours as their solicitor tried to force us to sell with some old English law “Estoppel”. They did get a house though elsewhere.

If you do buy another house just make sure you don’t over stretch yourself. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Thanks for your replies. We won’t be taking on anymore debt than we already have so we won’t be overstretched. Just have to get on with it now I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I've just finished buying in the last week and found the whole process close to unbearable (and I have no house to sell!). Fair play op, don't have any real advice to offer you but least you know you're not on your own.

Congrats Donkey, are you a ftb. It’s a great feeling but stressful. Were you getting into bidding wars?
    We are now thinking of buying a kip of a bungalow and doing a job on it. I was talking to two architects yesterday, so I must go and meet them in the next few weeks. It’s unbelievable how badly some houses are designed.
    I think we will do one step at a time, sell, rent, buy, renovate. Oh je*us, it will be stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Congrats Donkey, are you a ftb. It’s a great feeling but stressful. Were you getting into bidding wars?
    We are now thinking of buying a kip of a bungalow and doing a job on it. I was talking to two architects yesterday, so I must go and meet them in the next few weeks. It’s unbelievable how badly some houses are designed.
    I think we will do one step at a time, sell, rent, buy, renovate. Oh je*us, it will be stressful.

Yeah ftb. Ah stop bidding war central. It was brutal. Had to really readjust what we thought we could afford. Everything we bid on went at least 10% over with some having 4 or 5 parties involved. It was heartbreaking. We got there in the end though, and so will you.

You must be so delighted to be out the other end. That’s why I think we might go the bungalowvand renovate route. Bypass wasting 6-12 months bidding. Will have to take the pain on the renovation but at least that will just be down to us.
    We know two couple in Dublin who are bidding on houses a year, both have good jobs/salaries etc. it’s very annoying all round.

Advertisement