Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Disabled - Connect to iTunes

Options
  • 22-02-2018 10:28pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I cant get Mrs. kceire's iPad open.
    The child was messing and not only disabled to the fecking thing, but actually entered the digits wrong so many times that its now saying connect to iTunes.

I know the passcode.
    I cant connect to iTunes as its never been connected before, only iCloud.
    I cant force restart or enter recovery mode and when I hold both buttons it simply reboots every time.

How do I get the thing back working?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

How did you solve the problem please?

I’ve got the same problem with 9yr old changing the passcode on my old iPad mini and has now forgotten it. Have tried various combinations and now we’re locked out. It says connect to iTunes but when I connect via my laptop to try a factory reset, it shows an error message, I’m assuming because it can’t upload latest version of iOS being a 2013 iPad model. (Actually, I strongly suspect his friend changed the code), but either way, I’m stuffed.

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    How did you solve the problem please?

I’ve got the same problem with 9yr old changing the passcode on my old iPad mini and has now forgotten it. Have tried various combinations and now we’re locked out. It says connect to iTunes but when I connect via my laptop to try a factory reset, it shows an error message, I’m assuming because it can’t upload latest version of iOS being a 2013 iPad model. (Actually, I strongly suspect his friend changed the code), but either way, I’m stuffed.

Connected to iTunes and it took a couple of goes from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shannonzk

How about getting into DFU mode and flash a new firmware?

Thank you, yes, I figured that I need to download an earlier version of iOS then go into DFU mode and install the older software. Still not sure where/how to download an earlier version and which version as I haven’t used the iPad myself for some time so I’m not sure which iOS is suitable. I thought maybe 10.3.3 but I’m guessing there must be something I can consult that will tell me. My old iPad mini was purchased in April 2013.
    I’m not a tech geek so I need to follow detailed instructions. :)

Thank you for your suggestions so far.

• Advertisement

Thank you, yes, I figured that I need to download an earlier version of iOS then go into DFU mode and install the older software. Still not sure where/how to download an earlier version and which version as I haven’t used the iPad myself for some time so I’m not sure which iOS is suitable. I thought maybe 10.3.3 but I’m guessing there must be something I can consult that will tell me. My old iPad mini was purchased in April 2013.
    I’m not a tech geek so I need to follow detailed instructions. :)

Thank you for your suggestions so far.

Wow, I didn’t need to do any of that.

DFU mode worked for me.

Oh Ok, I’ll give it another try then. Maybe it does work quite easily and I’m just doing something wrong?

Just to add to anyone reading this thread at a later date, I finally resolved the issue by downloading the latest version of iTunes to my son’s windows10 laptop.
    (My MacBook Air is quite old and not running the latest software.)
    I then performed a DFU on the iPad whilst it was connected to the windows laptop and it worked.
    You need to do a full DFU where you have a completely blank screen on the iPad before it will work.

Hope this might help someone else struggling to get their ancient iPad up and running again. 🙂

Just to add to anyone reading this thread at a later date, I finally resolved the issue by downloading the latest version of iTunes to my son’s windows10 laptop.
    (My MacBook Air is quite old and not running the latest software.)
    I then performed a DFU on the iPad whilst it was connected to the windows laptop and it worked.
    You need to do a full DFU where you have a completely blank screen on the iPad before it will work.

Hope this might help someone else struggling to get their ancient iPad up and running again. ��

Glad you got sorted and thanks for the update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maryary

kceire wrote: »
    Hi, I cant get Mrs. kceire's iPad open.
    The child was messing and not only disabled to the fecking thing, but actually entered the digits wrong so many times that its now saying connect to iTunes.

I know the passcode.
    I cant connect to iTunes as its never been connected before, only iCloud.
    I cant force restart or enter recovery mode and when I hold both buttons it simply reboots every time.

How do I get the thing back working?

Thanks.

The easiest way is to use iCloud to wipe the device, at the same time, the password will be deleted.
    Official tip: support.apple.com/zh-CN/HT204306
    In addition, you can only solve this problem through DFU mode. In addition to synced iTunes, other methods can lead to data loss. If you have a backup, that's the best.

• Advertisement

Maryary wrote: »
    The easiest way is to use iCloud to wipe the device, at the same time, the password will be deleted.
    Official tip: support.apple.com/zh-CN/HT204306
    In addition, you can only solve this problem through DFU mode. In addition to synced iTunes, other methods can lead to data loss. If you have a backup, that's the best.

cheers, never thought of logging into the iCloud site and going that way.

Advertisement