Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladder trap problem

• 22-02-2018 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Well lads , any advise ? We left a dead pig in a quiet corner of a field for a week and there were plenty of grey crows eating at it every day. We then put our ladder trap over it during darkness and after a week have failed to catch even one grey. We went to look at a trap that lads were having a great catch rate with and built our ladder the same size 150 mm square. It was bigger (about 200 mm ) The only difference with our trap is that ours is higher (6 foot to the ladder) We have a perch under the ladder 3 foot high. Where are we going wrong ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Try putting it up section by section over a few days, gets them used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

The other lads one is welded together and they lift it complete over the bait. There were two greys sitting on top of ours one morning.My buddy could see them through his field glasses. It is half a mile to the nearest road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

borrisboy wrote: »
    Well lads , any advise ? We left a dead pig in a quiet corner of a field for a week and there were plenty of grey crows eating at it every day. We then put our ladder trap over it during darkness and after a week have failed to catch even one grey. We went to look at a trap that lads were having a great catch rate with and built our ladder the same size 150 mm square. It was bigger (about 200 mm ) The only difference with our trap is that ours is higher (6 foot to the ladder) We have a perch under the ladder 3 foot high. Where are we going wrong ?

Normally people put the ladder trap around it and let them go in and out and feed that way. After a week put the roof onto it and they will go into it

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

Ok I will take the roof off for a few days,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The club I'm in ran one as well and rather than one large lump of bait stuff like a pigeon carcass minus the fillets ( no way I'd give them to the crows ) or rabbit skin and guts tended to be more successful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement