Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Late Feb/ Early March Technical Discussion only MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

AFAIK HIRLAM and HARMONIE literally do sing of the same hymn sheet

Edit:
    Since 2006, the HIRLAM cooperation shifted its focus to the development of meso-scale (convection-permitting) numerical weather prediction system (HARMONIE) through close collaboration with the ALADIN consortium (led by Meteo France) and the ECMWF (European Center for Medium-range Weather Forecasting). The HARMONIE forecast system is the main operational weather forecast system at HIRLAM weather services with a typical grid resolution of 2.5 km

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Its interesting that since earlier Met Eireann have removed references to Rain and Sleet in their update which I presume means they fell it will fall as snow mostly. I hope the models don't backtrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Any chance of slight modification to the precipitation in the afternoon? The DP reading immediately to the east of Dublin has risen to -0.6 C according to the latest report.

pointrosee_uk_lwj0.png

It tends to shoot up in the showers and down again in any respite between them. It was above zero at times during the night already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

How many years have we waited for a chart like this? How far north that front gets is still uncertain as the Eagle on the radio earlier couldn't go beyond 36 hours! If only that Azores low headed towards Spain! :D

Is that a smile I see Elmer :eek:

Accumulation of radar returns over the last 24hrs showing where most of the showers fell over the last 24hrs:

4a3DRf4.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

GFS snow depths going for national cover as below.

In real time, this chart is only showing about 10-20% of actual amounts for some places and predicted same. Do the maths.

60-780UK.GIF?28-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sun's out now in Talalght after a heavy snow shower. I measured 11 cm at 10 am and 12 cm at 11 am. Casement was down to 14 cm at 10 am but probably back up now at 11 am. There is, however, decent melting going on as I type.

The coldest cloud tops of around -42 °C are now in over the east. That should continue for the rest of daylight hours, so more on and off showers, with accumulations up and down.

https://weather.us/satellite/ireland/top-alert-5min/20180228-1050z.html

Thursday? Well, who knows? I like the way the ECM seems is still progressive in pushing the snow northwards and has a good 24 hours of continuous dynamic snowfall for much of the ecntral band of the country. I can't see 40 cm depths at low levels but certainly Casement's 27 cm of 2010 could be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Status Red Munster Leinster issued 11am

18030206_2806.gif

18030206_2806.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Looks like streamers continuing to bubble up, giving some action here in Kildare at the moment, near whiteout.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Anyone have the hourly precip totals for Casement this morning? From midnight to 6 am 0.3 mm liquid equivalent fell, and that dumped 16 cm of cover, which gives an average ratio of over 500!, which can't be right. But from 4-5 am, 10 cm of snow fell, so it we had that hourly precip total then we can see exactly what the ratio is.

Of course, it could be that the rain gauge could be frozen, but that's unlikely as they're heated to melt all precip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just took some more scientific measurements with a ruler, Malahide 2km from the sea & mostly graupel.

4.5 to 6 cm on flat surfaces - drifts up to 11cm against walls

>12cm (only ruler I had, a set square, got buried entirely) on grass. Probbaly close to 15cm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

ME have just issued Staus Red warning for the Blizzard Thursday evening covering Munster and Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Sun's out now in Talalght after a heavy snow shower. I measured 11 cm at 10 am and 12 cm at 11 am. Casement was down to 14 cm at 10 am but probably back up now at 11 am. There is, however, decent melting going on as I type.

Could also be a case of snow compacting more so than melting? Lots of hail and snow grains here so far today which has compacted the fluffy stuff from this morning. It's been near continuous all morning here yet only a couple of cm deeper than at 7am

Anyone have the hourly precip totals for Casement this morning? From midnight to 6 am 0.3 mm liquid equivalent fell, and that dumped 16 cm of cover, which gives an average ratio of over 500!, which can't be right. But from 4-5 am, 10 cm of snow fell, so it we had that hourly precip total then we can see exactly what the ratio is.

Of course, it could be that the rain gauge could be frozen, but that's unlikely as they're heated to melt all precip.

Best bet is to email Met Éireann. Ogimet/Meteociel/Weatherobs only seem to report prep ever 6 hours which is of no use to anybody.

New Moon

Just to keep it in the archives. Most stations below freezing as of 11am:

D1y5KpL.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

It seems then flow has changed to 090 now which would put the focus of the streamers on North Co Dublin Meath and Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just to keep it in the archives. Most stations below freezing as of 11am:

D1y5KpL.png

Roches Point at -2 is a rare thing at any time of the day/night. What with it being right on the south coast!

Could also be a case of snow compacting more so than melting? Lots of hail and snow grains here so far today which has compacted the fluffy stuff from this morning. It's been near continuous all morning here yet only a couple of cm deeper than at 7am

There will be some compacting alright, but there is also melting taking place on exposed surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Irish sea gone very quite, Euro4 shows no more till late tonight. That front/end of streamer train coming of UK is killing convection,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Netweather is showing a fair bit of activity still in the Irish sea?

And here in blanch still a very dark sky

'Lake effect'

2itrlag.jpg

Had to reduce image size due to file size limits.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Irish Sea has gone quietish now, wonder how long until it peps up again? I see some models like HIRLAM show it fairly placid until after dark this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

'Lake effect'

Had to reduce image size due to file size limits.

Great image! You can kind of make out the Isle Of Man/Anglesea/Wales shadow effect. This has proven to be very significant as some areas on the East coast have had little/no snow as yet.

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    Great image! You can kind of make out the Isle Of Man/Anglesea/Wales shadow effect. This has proven to be very significant as some areas on the East coast have had little/no snow as yet.

Unfortunately the image size does it no justice. Will try to work out how to keep original size while reducing file size later. There must be a way!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Unfortunately the image size does it no justice. Will try to work out how to keep original size while reducing file size later. There must be a way!

You can change by the quality to reduce the size.

Streamer activity beginning to pep up again in the Irish sea north of Wales. Seem to be heading in a WNW direction.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Winds appear to beyond 90 degrees now.

This morning's action was from a northeasterly, but it's swung easterly now and and I'm sitting in sunshine here in Tallaght courtesy of the Wales shadow and slighltly warmer upper pool. I don't expact much real activity for areas south of Dublin airport this afternoon, but north of it still in for a pasting as 500 hPa temperatures get down to -45 °C in north Leinster and southeast Ulster. Meath, Louth, Down, Armagh and Monaghan going to do well.

443418.png

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭gluppers

What's the Wales shadow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Much bigger fetch on these next few streamers in an hour or so.

• Advertisement

gluppers wrote: »
    What's the Wales shadow?

It's the reduction in showery activity due to the much shorter sea track between Wales and the east coast when the wind is easterly. Less sea track means less time for showers to form. North of Dublin has a much longer sea track all the way over from Blackpool (see chart above).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement