Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Late Feb/ Early March Technical Discussion only MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Hirlam still has heavy snow for the parts Connacht Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Period Wed PM to Fri PM

Precip chart (pink = snow, blue = rain)

443568.gif

Precip accumulation. This latest run would be in line with Met Eireann's Red Alert areas for Storm Emma. Would expect Galway to be added.

443569.gif

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chemwiz

Guys, not sure if this is the correct thread. Any discussion around when we expect the polar vortex to stabilise on it normal atric rotation. Charts I have been looking at >4 days still show disturbance to the rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

chemwiz wrote: »
    Guys, not sure if this is the correct thread. Any discussion around when we expect the polar vortex to stabilise on it normal atric rotation. Charts I have been looking at >4 days still show disturbance to the rotation.

The UKMO have been saying up to the Middle of March for things to return to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest snow depths up to 23:00, now including my Celbridge measurements too. Casement didn't include snow depth in the 22:00 report.

443581.png

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

Met Eireann's STATUS RED warning area for Emma is accurate as of now. There is an argument for Galway to be included however

HIRLAM
    443576.jpg

ARPEGE
    443577.jpg

ICON
    443585.jpg

GFS
    443586.jpg

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chemwiz

The UKMO have been saying up to the Middle of March for things to return to normal.

Has this happened before for such a sustained period of time. What's the implications for arctic temperatures etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

WolfeEire wrote: »
    Met Eireann's STATUS RED warning area for Emma is accurate as of now. There is an argument for Galway to be included however

HIRLAM
    attachment.hp?attachmentid=443576&stc=1&d=1519857711

ARPEGE
    attacment.php?attachmentid=443577&stc=1&d=1519857711

ICON
    attachent.php?attachmentid=443585&stc=1&d=1519857711

GFS
    attahment.php?attachmentid=443586&stc=1&d=1519857711

I dunno I can see it running out of steam around North Dublin.
    Even though Rain radar is currently showing snow showers over Louth and it isn't falling.

I can see the South East getting a lot of snow however.

chemwiz wrote: »
    Has this happened before for such a sustained period of time. What's the implications for arctic temperatures etc..

Yes it has. It means arctic temperatures will be well above normal for a sustained period of time. A couple of days ago they were close to rising above zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I know its not a weather model but the latest cold/dry spell has resulted in water levels going down rapidy. The ground is really getting a chance to drain.

This is the station at Dangan, Galway. Down 0.4m since early February.

https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Satellite image showing the highest (greenish) cloutops off to our west now, with much lower (orange/yellow) clouds over the UK where stability is now greater as upper levels warm. As this stability moves westwards it will dampen showers over the Irish Sea.

443604.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

All Ireland RED warning level now , anything in the latest charts that would see that warranted ?

with much lower (orange/yellow) clouds over the UK where stability is now greater as upper levels warm. As this stability moves westwards it will dampen showers over the Irish Sea.

443604.png

You say that but we've had three hours of moderate to heavy snow with these warming upper levels.

Clare (410ft asl)

All Ireland RED warning level now , anything in the latest charts that would see that warranted ?

No, Pete. Would hate to think it was political pressure. Worst case scenario is that the economy will lose out and everybody stays safe I guess.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Have to say I'm worried that some of the charts have Dublin mostly missing out or barely being clipped by the snow tomorrow, seems to be Wicklow south on some models (Wexford in particular looks like getting hammered).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Have to say I'm worried that some of the charts have Dublin mostly missing out or barely being clipped by the snow tomorrow, seems to be Wicklow south on some models (Wexford in particular looks like getting hammered).

To me looks like right up to South Dublin and into the city. North would be close but there must be something in the charts for national red now

....and an extension in time too. From now until 3pm Friday. Something ME are seeing that the general public don't have access to? As a matter of interest when do the likes of ME get access to the latest runs of the ECM etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Harmonie must be showing something which we can not see yet possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I know its not a weather model but the latest cold/dry spell has resulted in water levels going down rapidy. The ground is really getting a chance to drain.

This is the station at Dangan, Galway. Down 0.4m since early February.

https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/

Probably not the best example since the water level is artifically regulated by the weir downstream in Galway and responds to sluice gates being opened and closed. Water level there is also affected by wind speed and direction - a northerly wind pushes water south down a long fetch of the lower lake, raising water levels downstream, while an upstream southerly lowers water levels. Your point holds, the dry spell is lowering water levels everywhere, just that gauge is not a reliable yardstick.

Sorry if this is off topic mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

As a matter of interest when do the likes of ME get access to the latest runs of the ECM etc?

About the same time as we do I think.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Yeah same concern from a North Dublin perspective with regards to Emma tomorrow, really doesn't look like she reaches here... we shall see I guess.

18Z HIRLAM puts the area in the firing line at some stage tomorrow evening.

hirlamuk-1-27-0_ipf8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    About the same time as we do I think.

Pretty much exactly the same time. The time it takes for the various websites to process the data into readable charts as it rolls out is negligible. Some sites may delay updating the images, but I don't see why they would.

Clare (410ft asl)

18Z HIRLAM puts the area in the firing line at some stage tomorrow evening.

The precipitation rates at that point in the run (featured in your image) are negligible away from Leinster and Munster. This is a Red Alert for Munster and Leinster, and perhaps Galway. Fundamentally, I think our system of weather warnings needs redressing. Met Eireann are superb but I don't think for one minute that there was unanimous agreement or anything close to it in Glasnevin over this. Maybe, Gerry really is on holiday.... However, they are the experts and they get it right the vast majority of the time.

Edit: The precip doesn't really reach beyond the north midlands here so it's all the more puzzling - http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks quite possible precipitation may not reach Dublin

18030200_2_2818.gif

The last Met Éireann hourly weather report of Winter 2017-2018:

jAEo9M2.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

WolfeEire wrote: »
    The precipitation rates at that point in the run (featured in your image) are negligible away from Leinster and Munster. This is a Red Alert for Munster and Leinster, and perhaps Galway. Fundamentally, I think our system of weather warnings needs redressing. Met Eireann are superb but I don't think for one minute that there was unanimous agreement or anything close to it in Glasnevin over this. Maybe, Gerry really is on holiday.... However, they are the experts and they get it right the vast majority of the time.

Edit: The precip doesn't really reach beyond the north midlands here so it's all the more puzzling - http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

That's the ECM model. I wouldn't go off of that for events within 48hr. It's too low res. I would go with the HIRLAM or ARPEGE for closer events.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The last Met Éireann hourly weather report of Winter 2017-2018:

-5 is very impressive for Cork! Can't remember anything that cold in Cork since 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Hmm, latest runs look like we have just dodged some serious floods this weekend, but have maybe just kicked the can a bit down the road. There's a flood thread coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

So going by the models there is no precipitation reaching Dublin cc before tomorrow morning and from Emma - ok using that as a starting point there’s a rise in temp Saturday and then back into the freezer Monday - have I got that right ? MT where are you ?

• Advertisement

ECM ensemble spread for snow depth possibility from 'Emma' for my region (NE Co. Galway) which is in the lower risk area, but look at the amount of 'spread'. Really shows the high uncertainty regarding how far north the potential impacts of 'Emma' would be felt.

y7d6XUi.png

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement