Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Late Feb/ Early March Technical Discussion only MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Latest Harmonie going for 47mm of liquid city centre , 30mm north Dub, parts of West Dub / Kildare 60-70mm - through til midday Sat

Thanks for all your updates WC. Is Munster showing similar figures?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

FIM also has nationwide event (closest res is France:
    tempresult_ldx0.gif

NAVGEM (doesnt show precip type):
    tempresult_yfm9.gif

GEM:
    tempresult_taf6.gif

ICON is negative but it has not forecast any precip activity for Ireland this morning which for the most part is WAAAAAY off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Durrow: Overnight low -9.7c air. Lowest windchill -13.1c. Grass minimum only -5.2c! Snowdepth 9cm.
    I think red for here is warranted.

Meanwhile - this FAX.

I'm suspicious of the upper warm front:

UKMet_Boden+24.gif

This was a flop for Jan 2010 the last time I seen something like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I will temper my optimisim by saying that GL's prediction at least for my part of North Dublin was pretty spot on. HIRLAM had showed more intensity but again that is for streamers not a front. There have been constant streamers but intensity so low that they are barely doing more than keeping yesterday's snow topped up.

Once intensity increases though I would be very hopeful that this will change.

Danno wrote: »
    Meanwhile - this FAX.

This was a flop for Jan 2010 the last time I seen something like it.

A flop how, what materialised?

• Advertisement

6Z GFS still wants to give the east coast up as far as Louth some precipitation (hopefully!)

18-779UK_mej9.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Is it still looking bad for South east/north wex?

Every variation of the charts I've seen has us getting pummeled, it's just a matter of how much rather than if. It's the least we deserve after being caught in this Welsh shadow for the past 2 days with this awful wind direction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Winds are really ramping up in the E-SE flow coming at Ireland from Britain now. Here are some recent reports:

These are all in km/hr. I added Dublin for comparison.

Ronaldsway (Isle of Man) E 61 G 84

Bridlington (Yorkshire coast) E 78 G 100

Donna Nook (Lincs coast) E 76 G 95

Weybourne (Norfolk coast) E 60 G 80

Dublin was E 50 G 71 at 0930z

As the gradient tightens next six hours, this light to moderate sea effect snow will tend to get more concentrated into heavy bands and the pressure falls will turn the wind slightly northeast from Bray north, while it's likely that strong southeast winds will downslope off the Welsh highlands and rip across towards Wicklow. This will set up convergence of sea effect regimes and then the storm's snowfall arriving will converge with the streamers. This may lead to locally heavy banding by evening over the central east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest snow depths, from synop reports and my own measurements.

443681.png

Latest HIRLAM doesn’t look too bad for the east. Actually seems to be an increase in intensity compared to earlier runs.

hirlamuk-1-19-0_nve1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

On the satellite Emma doesn't look too bad, I still think the fronts will weaken once it gets past galway, no doubt there will be another pulse from the south on Friday\saturday

As the gradient tightens next six hours, this light to moderate sea effect snow will tend to get more concentrated into heavy bands and the pressure falls will turn the wind slightly northeast from Bray north, while it's likely that strong southeast winds will downslope off the Welsh highlands and rip across towards Wicklow. This will set up convergence of sea effect regimes and then the storm's snowfall arriving will converge with the streamers. This may lead to locally heavy banding by evening over the central east coast.

Bonus snow for the east if this scenario materialises MT. The HIRLAM for early this evening gives an increase in activity in a band near the east coast in advance of the frontal bands to the south.

hirlamuk-1-11-0_xgy1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Latest Hirlam accumulated snow depth looks pretty good for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Models starting to agree on easterly next week, baby steps though.

I652OnX.gif

6ExL0DY.gif

nDNkJgS.png

a8KKtzE.gif

sean555 wrote: »
    Latest Hirlam accumulated snow depth looks pretty good for most.

I'd take it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

For me the only issue with the red warning in Dublin is how it is specific to Snow/Ice. This is ultimately a combination warning - here in Dublin 7 we have around 10cm of lying snow already and plenty of continuing showers. There is 100% cloud cover so far this morning, so absolutely no solar melting, and temperatures are remaining very low. Add into this the fact that 50% of the models are showing a significant amount of precipitation for the greater Dublin area, and there is no real clarity over how much or how little we'll get, even less than 12 hours out.

arpegeuk-52-39-0_vup5.png

Then you add in the fact that, as above, winds are due to be very intense today and overnight (potentially an Orange level warning by itself if seen in isolation), and the fact that most of the snow has been extremely dry and powdery so will easily be blown around by the wind. And the icy condition of the streets. There's no doubt in my mind that this red warning is warranted, looking at the charts. I'll add to this that I am a massive snow-lover, but genuinely concerned about how bad conditions currently are, and actually wouldn't mind if the worse didn't occur here.

As a corollary to that - is there anyone willing to say that they think the charts overall show a non-red outcome to a high degree of certainty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

MJohnston wrote: »
    For me the only issue with the red warning in Dublin is how it is specific to Snow/Ice. This is ultimately a combination warning - here in Dublin 7 we have around 10cm of lying snow already and plenty of continuing showers. There is 100% cloud cover so far this morning, so absolutely no solar melting, and temperatures are remaining very low. Add into this the fact that 50% of the models are showing a significant amount of precipitation for the greater Dublin area, and there is no real clarity over how much or how little we'll get, even less than 12 hours out.

arpegeuk-52-39-0_vup5.png

Then you add in the fact that, as above, winds are due to be very intense today and overnight (potentially an Orange level warning by itself if seen in isolation), and the fact that most of the snow has been extremely dry and powdery so will easily be blown around by the wind. And the icy condition of the streets. There's no doubt in my mind that this red warning is warranted, looking at the charts. I'll add to this that I am a massive snow-lover, but genuinely concerned about how bad conditions currently are, and actually wouldn't mind if the worse didn't occur here.

As a corollary to that - is there anyone willing to say that they think the charts overall show a non-red outcome to a high degree of certainty?

we've been in RED from last night whatever about the outcome from Emma, I'm veering toward a less severe outcome for areas away from South\Sout-east\East, no evidence just a hunch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

MJohnston wrote: »

No question about red for Leinster and Munster. It's the northwest that I'm baffled about. Donegal may be getting some streamer activity now, but regagrding the widespread snowfall and blizzards overnight and tomorrow, I'm not so sure. Now maybe they do have more info at hand that warrants a red in the northwest, but I'm struggling to see it. Also given that the UKMO doesn't have a red for Ulster.

Here's Joanna explaining things after midnight. This was for why they issued the red starting from lastnight, not for tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/969035853665329157

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

That is an interesting explanation from JD. I still don't really agree with the red warning in Mayo and Donegal, but I can see her point.

Basically, over the 72 hours from end of Tuesday to end of Friday, most of the country will have conditions that will merit a red warning. The only real option they had was to issue it for every county apart from Donegal and Mayo (which I would have gone for), but I can see why they went where they did.

A really, really tough job for forecasters, but I think they have fared very well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

No question about red for Leinster and Munster. It's the northwest that I'm baffled about. Donegal may be getting some streamer activity now, but regagrding the widespread snowfall and blizzards overnight and tomorrow, I'm not so sure. Now maybe they do have more info at hand that warrants a red in the northwest, but I'm struggling to see it. Also given that the UKMO doesn't have a red for Ulster.

Here's Joanna explaining things after midnight. This was for why they issued the red starting from lastnight, not for tomorrow.

I dunno man, I look at the likes of the ARPEGE accumulations chart (this one is ranged to the end of the current red warning) and I definitely see why it's applied to the northwest :

arpegeuk-45-38-0_mqc4.png

For Donegal, add in streamers and lying snow and I'd say 8cm of depth in places is a real possibility. It's not like the ARPEGE is some outlier, badly performing model either.

I think Sligo looks to be the least effected county by all of this, but it's borderline, and I'm sure there's an element of keeping inter-county travel to a minimum too in there.

• Advertisement

Latest Euro4 run appears to indicate an upgrade for the east. Dublin seems to be in the picture now according to it.

18030203_2_0106.gif

Latest Euro4 run appears to indicate an upgrade for the east. Dublin seems to be in the picture now according to it.

Very little amounts there for a lot of Munster and up the west. It's only up to 3am I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

How are we supposed to measure depths in a setup like this? There's no real uniform depth anywhere here, everything from 2cm of hardened ice on the concrete to 35cm mounds/drifts and 50cm+ drifts against the house. On the grass there's about 17cm on average but even that seems highly variable depending on how exposed it is to the wind

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Very little amounts there for a lot of Munster and up the west. It's only up to 3am I know.

Looks like munster gets moderate tonight and a reload tomorrow morning of heavier snow.

Looks like munster gets moderate tonight and a reload tomorrow morning of heavier snow.

Yeah I prefer the hirlam always found it more accurate than the Euro4 anyway for my location!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

How are we supposed to measure depths in a setup like this? There's no real uniform depth anywhere here, everything from 2cm of hardened ice on the concrete to 35cm mounds/drifts and 50cm+ drifts against the house. On the grass there's about 17cm on average but even that seems highly variable depending on how exposed it is to the wind

You measure from the highest drift - and for the rest of your life you tell anyone that will listen that it was like that everywhere, and the drifts went over homes and factories

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nice streamer into Wexford since morning. Longer snow this morning than anytime over the last two days. Think todays snow will more than make up for the lack of same over the past 48hrs down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/969035853665329157

I am snowed in at my home in Falcarragh, Donegal with about 8cms of snow which fell steadily from yesterday. Blizzard like whiteout conditions, that even prevented me from walking to the shops in all my ski gear. However my boss in Ardara has nothing. I guess that's why they issue these warnings!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Can I ask what hirlam Is showing rn for dublin after 5:30 today?
    Thank you!

• Advertisement

Dublin TAF
    TAF: EIDW 011113Z 0112/0212 08025G35KT 9999 SCT015 BKN025
    TEMPO 0112/0118 09030G45KT 0600 SHSN BKN008 1200 to 1800 moderate showers of snow
    BECMG 0118/0121 1200 SN BKN008 1800 to 2100 moderate continuous snow, visibility 1.2km
    TEMPO 0121/0209 0300 +SN OVC002 2100 to 0900 heavy continuous snow, visibility 300m (or less, overcast at 200ft which is airport elevation)
    BECMG 0200/0203 07030G45KT midnight to 3am wind gusting to 45 knots
    TEMPO 0203/0210 08035G52KT 0300 to 1000 wind gusting to 52 knots
    BECMG 0209/0212 8000 NSW BKN020 - NSW = no significant weather from 9am to 12pm tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement