Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Late Feb/ Early March Technical Discussion only MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Arpege and Hirlam 12z still giving plenty of snow for Galway and parts of Mayo.arpegeuk-45-19-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Forecasted snow depths until Friday evening.
    Always will be heavier over elevation and Wicklow mtns will be cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

anyone able to post hirlam from now? where is emma atm?. windy.com still has to near france

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Anyone who lives at a certain height on the eastern side of the Wicklow mts. is really in for it tonight with orographic lift coming into play you would think. Could be massive totals if the precipitation materializes later on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Appege accumulation chart up to 6pm tomorrow eve. S & E well up for it.

snowdepth_030.jpg?2018030112

Blowing snow here all afternoon yet such is its nature, it isn't adding very much to what has already accumulated. Wind is beginning to feel colder and damper with the sky lowering all the time, though temps refusing to get above -1.0c. -1.5c currently with a Td of -4.0c. Pressure (1001.1 mb) falling at a steady rate.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Met Éireann 4pm reports. A lovely warm spring afternoon over the hills and meadows of fair Ogygia.

GoV6Bjz.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Why does the chart above #1217 show such a sharp drop from 30cm in south Dublin suburbs to 3cm in north Dublin.
    Does this reflect the storm stopping there or does it reflect some sleet north of there reducing the total?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temperature here now 0.4 and rising, I'm wondering if there is a chance that coastal areas of Dublin like here may get snow to sleet instead of snow only later, dew point still -2.8 though but rising as well. Around 6cm of snow here, most I've seen since moving here in 2011.
    Places like Roundwood in Wicklow should get awesome amounts of snow even by their standards overnight. I think my four years living in Annamoe previously has somewhat spoiled my appreciation of snowfall below epic levels!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Why does the chart above #1217 show such a sharp drop from 30cm in south Dublin suburbs to 3cm in north Dublin.
    Does this reflect the storm stopping there or does it reflect some sleet north of there reducing the total?
    Take no notice of that, it is just down to grid squares (resolution of model) and the size of them.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Supercell wrote: »
    Temperature here now 0.4 and rising, I'm wondering if there is a chance that coastal areas of Dublin like here may get snow to sleet instead of snow only later, dew point still -2.8 though but rising as well. Around 6cm of snow here, most I've seen since moving here in 2011.
    Places like Roundwood in Wicklow should get awesome amounts of snow even by their standards overnight. I think my four years living in Annamoe previously has somewhat spoiled my appreciation of snowfall below epic levels!

personally i doubt it, still getting light showers of snow here in bray, all indications from Met are that everywhere including coastal will get getting snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Those charts are a bit scary for me (Roundwood, Wicklow). I'm actually thinking of staying the night in the lambing shed as its 2 miles from the house and I'm not sure if I'd get down in the morning. BTW, believe it or not, but this is the first ice day I've had at my location since I came here nearly 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Rising? It's got colder in D15 if I'm honest,utterly baltic,not stopped snowing all day and no signs of it doing so,and that's before the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

patneve2 wrote: »
    Anyone who lives at a certain height on the eastern side of the Wicklow mts. is really in for it tonight with orographic lift coming into play you would think. Could be massive totals if the precipitation materializes later on

What height? We're on eastern side of Wicklow mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

What height? We're on eastern side of Wicklow mountains.

Higher up like +100-200 metres. Should be bad at sea level too though

This could be akin to scenes from Arklow tomorrow!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Higher up like +100-200 metres. Should be bad at sea level too though

145m here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

-0.5c and rising too. There's ALWAYS a warm sector lurking somewhere.
    These UK temperatures are quite odd? Compare Lancashire with Cornwall, and Belfast too. How the hell can the far south west of England be much colder than northern England? Answer: a small warm sector.
    edit: -0.4c now. same old .................

SYNOPUK_16_5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

What about West Wicklow @ 200m.asl, should we be worried that Luq will catch our percipitation and give us crumbs? we have consistent moderate snow all day from 8AM, this is before the main event, looking at Hirlam or Aprege we are in 45mm zone, though GFS gives us barely 15mm until Saturday, who should we trust most?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Going by the latest GFS model, is there a chance that here in Waterford tomorrow it will all turn to rain.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met Éireann 4pm reports. A lovely warm spring afternoon over the hills and meadows of fair Ogygia.

How did they have a rain shower at Valentia I wonder? Temp is zero and the humidity is 58. That equates to a DP of -6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Is it just me or is anyone else's radar showing a gap over all of Dublin? I've been using netweather and rain uk radars and it shows a large band of precip over the Irish sea but stops abruptly about half way between Dublin and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

GoV6Bjz.png

Does every station report back on the hour? E.g. are all those temps as of 4PM. Or is this just the unspecified latest from each station?

arctictree wrote: »
    Those charts are a bit scary for me (Roundwood, Wicklow). I'm actually thinking of staying the night in the lambing shed as its 2 miles from the house and I'm not sure if I'd get down in the morning. BTW, believe it or not, but this is the first ice day I've had at my location since I came here nearly 20 years ago.

Best of luck M, I would bring some food and a fully charged phone too, but you probably know that already. Going to be a wild night up there, hope you are well stocked up and ready for this, you may be isolated there for a couple of days from this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is anyone else's radar showing a gap over all of Dublin? I've been using netweather and rain uk radars and it shows a large band of precip over the Irish sea but stops abruptly about half way between Dublin and Wales.

The netweather radar has been broken most of the day, a big chunk from about dublin to offaly and south to the very north of killkenny is missing or glitched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Icon, Arome, Arpege and GFS all show a significant snow shadow west of the Wicklow mountains overnight and tomorrow morning, with reduced rates in counties Laois, Carlow, south Kildare, etc. One to watch. Meanwhile the eastern slopes should get a pasting, but soundings are now showing several degrees of low-level warming along the east a few hours after midnight, so snow should become slightly wetter at lowest levels by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The Icon, Arome, Arpege and GFS all show a significant snow shadow west of the Wicklow mountains overnight and tomorrow morning, with reduced rates in counties Laois, Carlow, south Kildare, etc. One to watch. Meanwhile the eastern slopes should get a pasting, but soundings are now showing several degrees of low-level warming along the east a few hours after midnight, so snow should become slightly wetter at lowest levels by morning.

Might be a stupid question but whats the difference between the snow we've had up until now and wetter snow ?

These UK temperatures are quite odd? Compare Lancashire with Cornwall, and Belfast too. How the hell can the far south west of England be much colder than northern England? Answer: a small warm sector.

Latest DPs still seem ok.

pointrosee_uk_tcm9.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I reckon only coast fringes may see wet snow/sleet. If you check some of the models you can see the rain on the precip type chart as this warming pushes up but keeps wet stuff out into the bay/coast

It's worth noting DP in southern England/Wales before it hits us.

Mothman's site - wickloweather.com is telling the same story and is warmer too (than here). He has a Met Eireann station in Ashford with perfect exposure (have seen it myself) so this warming is a thing, hoping it doesn't spoil the party here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

What I find quite odd is how little freezing there is here even though the temp is -3
    You would think at that temp the snow would freeze but no

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement