Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing Mortgage early

• 23-02-2018 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We will be in the lucky position that between a lot of work in 2019 and early 2020 we will be able to pay off out mortgage.

We currently owe 67k on a PTSB tracker mortgage.

I am wondering would be better to save and pay in one large lump or as we earn the money pay down the mortgage............or does it even matter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you pay it down as you earn, you will save on some interest.

Might not be a lot but every little helps?

Will you have savings left besides?
    If not I would leave keep it until you are ready to clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭omeara1113

Hi I'm in the same position I hope to have mine cleared this year.. Can't wait
    My advice is clear it

• Registered Users Posts: 27 benwed

I also hope to pay mine off early as every reduction in my tracker rate in the last few years I didn't take and kept the repayments the same thus reducing my term by 2 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

NIMAN wrote: »
    If you pay it down as you earn, you will save on some interest.

Might not be a lot but every little helps?

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Thanks,

I'm going to pay it off as i have it. All going well we'll have it paid off 6 years early.

Advertisement