Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 1.6 Nissan Note electric window issue

Options
  • 23-02-2018 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, we have a weird one with our Nissan Note. The drivers side electric window has developed a fault where it initially seemed that the switch just stopped working. Push the windows switch down, and nothing. But push and hold it for a few seconds (2-3s) then it will go down at normal speed. And same with rising, pull up the switch briefly and nothing happens, but pull and hold and the window returns as normal.

I've looked up the price of these switches and they ain't cheap! I haven't taken a look at the switches just yet, but I'm planning to do so and perhaps use some contact cleaner if I see anything amiss.

Anyone have any ideas or solutions? NCT is coming up and I presume it will fail as a result.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sounds like one touch has stopped working

Turn the ignition on so the light are on the dash or start the engine
    Press the window switch so the window winds all the way down then hold the button down for 10 secs
    Close the window up on the second click/notch
    Once the window is close hold the button up for 10 seconds

See if it works now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers biko. I did use your advice at the end of the process today.

So, I had read a lot online. This is a common issue and I read in multiple places that the only solution is to buy a new part, or find one second hand. Looking online this part is a 100 quid. So feck that.

As with a lot of these kinds of operations, I just started taking stuff apart. First remove the switch itself (unfortunately I did not document this process with images). To remove the switches from the car, you have to push the cover forward and pry upwards with a flat head. It takes a bit of messing, but it will come off. Once that was removed I needed to remove the cable connected to it. Nice and easy, use your screwdriver to push in the tab in the centre and pull the connector away. It's a bit stubborn, but it will come out with a bit of wiggling.

Now you have the switch in your hand, there's three philips screws to remove the electrics from the casing. Now you have the switch unit in your hand. There's a cloudy plastic piece that covers the PCB. This piece is held in with plastic tabs. Being careful not to break these I used a flat head to gently pry and push to separate it. It's a bit fiddly but it came eventually without breaking anything.

Now you can see the bottom of the PCB, but I wanted to see the whole thing. To proceed further I had to gently pull off the push button child-lock button. This just pulled off. I was afraid I would break it. Once this is off you can pop out the PCB.

Now, immediately I could see a problem. The contacts where the drivers side switch made contact with the PCB were covered in grime. And the switch was too. I used some contact cleaner on a tissue to wipe this clean. I was pretty confident that I had this sorted at this point. I reversed my steps and put it all back together and plugged it into the car.

In the car, switch in place and ignition turned on. The moment of truth. Pushed the switch all the way down. Nothing. Shit. Pushed halfway and the window lowered normally without delay. Hooray! Used biko's operation to get auto-wind working and boom. Back in business.

Love it when taking **** apart and poking around actually works. Now I can't say how long I'll get out of this fix. But hopefully it'll keep working for a while yet!

Advertisement