Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network configuration query, does and donts...

• 23-02-2018 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to check a few things on my network setup to make sure i am not doing anything thats a massive no no.

I have 300mb BB with eir, huawei modem/router.

The modem is in a comms cabinet in my utility room, currently broadcasting over both wifi channels say wifi 2.4 and wifi 5g, the modem is wired to:

- a unifi AP on the same floor more out in the open (and close to my ring doorbell) broadcasting over both channels with the same names

- a unifi AP on the 3rd floor broadcasting over both channels with the same names

- a unifi in wall ap out in a garden room broadcasting over both channels with the same names

Is this ok? is there any reason to disable the wifi on the modem, or is it ok to leave as is supplementing the other 3 unifi devices?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're saying channels when you mean bands (2.4 and 5Ghz are bands containing multiple channels).

The important thing is, what channels are you using? With 2.4 there are only three non overlapping channels so normally you'd only ever use three transmitters unless the 4th is far enough away from the 1st. With 5Ghz that wont be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Are you using the SAME ssid and security settings on ALL of your APs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ED E wrote: »
    You're saying channels when you mean bands (2.4 and 5Ghz are bands containing multiple channels).

The important thing is, what channels are you using? With 2.4 there are only three non overlapping channels so normally you'd only ever use three transmitters unless the 4th is far enough away from the 1st. With 5Ghz that wont be a problem.

sorry i meant bands,

i am using channel 6 on the 2.4, buts its only there for the few things i have that dont play nice with 5G (smart plugs, ring pro)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

degsie wrote: »
    Are you using the SAME ssid and security settings on ALL of your APs?

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cyrus wrote: »
    sorry i meant bands,

i am using channel 6 on the 2.4, buts its only there for the few things i have that dont play nice with 5G (smart plugs, ring pro)

On all? Oh noes.

2-4ghz-wifi-channels-3-overlapping.png

You should use a different channel on each AP, 1 6 and 11.

With 5Ghz try 36, 44, 52.

• Advertisement
Advertisement