Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google hogging 34GB of SSD space!!

• 23-02-2018 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a 156GB SSD laptop which is a super machine and I use Dropbox to make sure as much data as possible is stored online but I'm running out of SSD space.

Having looked at what's taking up space I noticed that Users -> Me -> AppData -> Local -> Google is using 33.8GB.

Within the Google folder there are a number of folders the two most offending of which are:-

Google Apps Sync which is using 21GB and Identity which is using 11.6GB.

I use the Google Sync tool for MS Outlook so I guess that accounts for the 21GB in Google Apps Sync although it does seem like a very high figure but the Identity folder is stuffed with over 700 txt files dating from 2012 to today most of which are only 1 or 2 kb's but there are a handful over 100mb and one whopper which is 5GB dating back to 2014.

The names of these txt files are along the lines of "OUTLOOK.EXE-7968-08-25-2014_13_29_28" so I'm a bit nervous of deleting them in case they are required for the smooth running of MS Outlook.

I looked online and some people suggest they are just log files which can be deleted but that was just forum users, nothing credible from Google or a source I would trust hence I'm asking here!!

Is anyone here familiar with these txt files in the Google identity folder and is it safe to delete them?

Similarly, in the Google Apps Sync folder there are a number of pst, pst.db and pst.db-journal type files some of which are current but some of which haven't been modified in over 12 months totalling almost 9GB. Would it be safe to delete these old MS Outlook sync files?

If I could get 20GB of space back without causing any problems that would be a huge benefit to me.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Advertisement