Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Assurance - why do the insurers not offer a discount for paying annually?

• 23-02-2018 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭

Normally if you pay in one annual payment you would get a discount.

But I was just checking some quotes for Life Assurance there, and there is no real difference. In fact some even charge you slightly more to pay in one go than monthly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

NIMAN wrote: »
    Normally if you pay in one annual payment you would get a discount.

But I was just checking some quotes for Life Assurance there, and there is no real difference. In fact some even charge you slightly more to pay in one go than monthly.

Lapse experience tends to be poor on annually paid policies. Customer sees the premium coming and the payment is a call to action in ways - "can I get this cheaper", "do I need this at all?".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just ran a quote there. M30nb, n/s. LTA non indexed €250k x 20 year term.

Annual premium €162.23. Monthly premium €14.44p/m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The quotes I ran, which averaged out around the €55 - €65 per month mark, had only a handful of Euro difference in the annual figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭axcel

The monthly premium for cost of cover is basically the minimum the life companies can charge without making a loss because of competition etc (premiums are very low now for basic products compared to even few years ago) so the discount for paying annually is only the savings based on less direct debits, less admin, less bank charges etc so savings are minimal really. Why the annual would be higher, not a clue, haven't seen that before.

Advertisement