Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade advice needed

Options
  • 23-02-2018 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I put this pc together 2 years ago and now I've an itch to upgrade something. Upgrade budget is flexible but doesn't have to be the latest processor etc., just looking for direction on where to go next really or should I hold off and upgrade the entire system to the latest intel socket when I have to?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y8jyyf

revised list attached but there is only 1 stick of 8GB LP RAM & 4GB MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G

PC is used manly for everyday general use and games - Crusader Kings 2, Total War franchise, Civ series and similar type games. I don't play games online.

I have a few external drives for additional storage linked to my nvidea shield which has now taken over from the pc for streaming and plex so storage on the pc isnt a problem.

All advise welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pawrick wrote: »

Try again there buster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Maybe a new GPU but prices are crazy atm. I cannot really understand your post regarding RAM but in the link you have two different types not that that is a problem but it is good practice to have the same type so maybe sort that out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

sorry in the link i included i have two sticks of 8 to give a total of 16 but i actually only have 1 stick of 8. In work and cant access it right now to change details on the link.

yes I was thinking the gpu also but as you said prices are crazy so wondering if there is anything else worth doing while i keep an eye out for any deals or the price to drop? Would it be worth upgrading the cpu for example but not to the 1051 socket range yet as that would mean a much larger overhaul involving new ram and motherboard or maybe bite the bullet now on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Wait until the paper launch of the 2080/2080ti whatever is coming out and buy a second hand 1080.

Keep an eye out for a second hand stick of RAM.

Keep an eye out for a cheap i7 4XXX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

What are you looking to upgrade for? Would make it easier to answer your question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There are two aspects you would benefit from, as Total War games are really CPU heavy. Upgrade the i5 to an i7-4770/4790, and upgrade the GPU though prices are crazy at the moment.

Your best best is to go 2nd hand. i7-4770 or i7-4790 for about €200. GTX970 4GB for about €200.

No need to jump to a new socket type really, that would be very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There are two aspects you would benefit from, as Total War games are really CPU heavy. Upgrade the i5 to an i7-4770/4790, and upgrade the GPU though prices are crazy at the moment.

Your best best is to go 2nd hand. i7-4770 or i7-4790 for about €200. GTX970 4GB for about €200.

No need to jump to a new socket type really, that would be very expensive.

Instead of i7-4770/4790, get a Xeon 1231v3.
    Same socket, same 4core/8thread, 3.4-3.8GHz
    but €50-100 cheaper.

Good luck finding any decent GPU for €200-300; damn miners are buying everything! :mad:

Advertisement