Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree trimmings ?

Options
  • 23-02-2018 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Coming into the season now, I had 2 fairly big trees come down over the winter storms. I have a chain saw and chopped most of it up for firewood but there is a serious amount of twigs and branches left over im not sure what to do with. Could I pay someone with a grab truck to remove it ? Ive thought about burning it but probably wouldnt be legal. I live in the countryside
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

You could rent a shredder or chipper and put it all through that. you'd end up with a pile of woodchips that you can disperse around and plants you have. When it's all chipped you have a surprisingly small pile of chips compared to all the branches you start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chippers are a pain in the hole. You're looking at maybe 300 to rent one, and it'll likely get jammed. You'll end up with less than 300 euros worth of wood chips (they're only worth maybe 30-40 euros per tonne bag).

So it might be as easy to get them collected.

Whereabouts are you?

I'm in north Wicklow and I when I don't have access to a chipper (or have stuff that can't be chipped - Cordyline leaves) I just take a car load down to Green King. They usually charge about a fiver or tenner to dump it depending on who's on and what sort of mood they're in. I then buy back wood chips from them. :D

But the car is pretty wrecked at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Cheers for the recommendations lads.
    Im in Westmeath, was thinking I could pile it up on the driveway and have a grab hire lorry come lift it all. Not sure on cost though

dar_cool wrote: »
    Cheers for the recommendations lads.
    Im in Westmeath, was thinking I could pile it up on the driveway and have a grab hire lorry come lift it all. Not sure on cost though
    I wouldn't mind knowing the prices you get quoted.

I've seen landscapers with grabs picking up garden waste near me, going over 6ft walls. Dunno what they charge though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    Chippers are a pain in the hole. You're looking at maybe 300 to rent one, and it'll likely get jammed.
    depends on how long the job lasts, surely? here's one with a claimed 55mm capacity, €115 for a weekend, €180 for a week: http://www.hss.ie/g/62816/Petrol-Shredder.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Lumen wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind knowing the prices you get quoted.

I've seen landscapers with grabs picking up garden waste near me, going over 6ft walls. Dunno what they charge though.

I've someone coming over the next while, decent trailer worth of cuttings etc. €50 per trailer up to ballyogan and he's looking just over a 100.

depends on how long the job lasts, surely? here's one with a claimed 55mm capacity, €115 for a weekend, €180 for a week: http://www.hss.ie/g/62816/Petrol-Shredder.html
    That's a shredder, not a chipper. The capacities are nowhere near that stated, maybe half.

This is the one I hired. I needed a tracked one as the garden slopes. Claimed 160mm capacity. Still jammed it after a couple of hours.

http://www.greenmech.co.uk/products/quadtrak-160/

Was fun driving it around though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Got quoted 300 for a grab hire lorry to come along, not sure what to do, to be honest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

dar_cool wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Coming into the season now, I had 2 fairly big trees come down over the winter storms. I have a chain saw and chopped most of it up for firewood but there is a serious amount of twigs and branches left over im not sure what to do with. Could I pay someone with a grab truck to remove it ? Ive thought about burning it but probably wouldnt be legal. I live in the countryside
    Thanks

I had some leftover firewood from last year that was in bits too awkward to split with an axe or too rotten to be worth the bother of putting in the stove. Garden links onto an old derelict area that is dominated by brambles so I just tipped it into the brambles to let the woodlice and fungi break it down over the next few years. I've already planted trees and shrubs to screen the area from view anyway so it makes no difference to me that the old wood is slowly rotting there. Some material I've read would even suggest that stacks of old timber in parts of the garden provide a nest site for beneficial insects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, it's a habitat missing from most gardens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement