Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to build a small PC

Options
  • 23-02-2018 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

I'm not a gamer but usually like to build a decent spec PC and keep it for years. I think the current one was built around 2010 so kind of getting itchy feet to build something new.

At the moment I'm trying to see what kind of case I want. I'm thinking I want a small case so I can keep it on the desk instead of on the ground underneath the desk.

Was looking at this:
    Chieftec Compact Series IX-01B - ultra small form factor - mini ITX

Or this
    Cooler Master Elite 110 Computer Case 'Mini-ITX, USB 3.0, Mesh Side Panel' RC-110-KKN2

The Chieftec is smaller but would it be too awkward to work with? I was going to get M2 type SSD to save space. Won't need a disc drive or anything.

The Chieftec also looks very open and will suck in a lot of dust.

Is the Cooler Master suitable for desktop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 110 also takes standard PSU, the Chieftec needs a pico psu. The 110 would be a lot easier to work with but it's also a lot bigger.

Could always buy something like this 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Recently did a build with a Fractal Node 202 which was pretty nice, it's not tiny but it's not big either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've been looking at the pico psu. Look pretty cool. The pico psu was 160w.

Was looking at an i5 and that's only 60w. RAM Should be less than 10w. Same with an m.2 SSD.

Would have to look if I could get a small GPU in too as I have 2 monitors and would like both to be digital instead of using VGA for one. Well that's how my current motherboard works anyway. Can't use 2 digital outputs using the i3 onboard graphics.

Will have a look at that fractal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cougar QBX-series and Sharkoon QB One are also worth considering, 20L chassis that can fit full-size GPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Phanteks Enthoo seems to be a popular case for small form factor. Looks cool aswell

• Advertisement
Advertisement