Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoa clamp motorcycle and attach 2nd lock to spokes on back wheel

Options
  • 23-02-2018 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Alcoa yesterday clamped a motorcycle on a footpath in the Dublin Docklands area near the Grand Canal Theatre.

Not being happy enough to have put the clamp on the back wheel they ( there was 2 people in the van) drove around the block numerous times waving and smiling at the owner of the motorcycle.

The passenger of the Apcoa van after driving past a number of times got out of the van and attached the chain from the clamp to the spokes of the wheel using a 2nd lock.

Is attaching this lock to the wheel of the motorcycle legal in any way??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dunno. But it'd be even handier to remove than one on a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Private clamping is a legal grey area as far as I know. But legal or not, if you need your bike there's 2 ways to remove it. Pay or remove it yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Reminds me of what i witnessed only this week in Rathgar three heavy set lads looking like they had just left the building site remove a clamp from their van with an angle grinder whilst the two clamper lads stood on the footpath watching and talking on their phones. Took them about 2-3 minutes max. They just chucked what was left of the clamp on the footpath beside the clampers van and proceeded to drive off. Entertaining few minutes that brightened my day up i have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Reminds me of what i witnessed only this week in Rathgar three heavy set lads looking like they had just left the building site remove a clamp from their van with an angle grinder whilst the two clamper lads stood on the footpath watching and talking on their phones. Took them about 2-3 minutes max. They just chucked what was left of the clamp on the footpath beside the clampers van and proceeded to drive off. Entertaining few minutes that brightened my day up i have to say.

The one clamp that you can't cut off are the DCC ones. Them lads will be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Del2005 wrote: »
    The one clamp that you can't cut off are the DCC ones. Them lads will be in trouble.

The last bar I worked in was on the quays (Dublin), I break them off all the time. It got to the stage that the clampers would ask us if we knew the cars, because they knew we'd cut the clamp if we did.

They're really easy to break, and easier to fvck them over the Liffey wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Alcoa yesterday clamped a motorcycle on a footpath in the Dublin Docklands area near the Grand Canal Theatre.

Not being happy enough to have put the clamp on the back wheel they ( there was 2 people in the van) drove around the block numerous times waving and smiling at the owner of the motorcycle.

The passenger of the Apcoa van after driving past a number of times got out of the van and attached the chain from the clamp to the spokes of the wheel using a 2nd lock.

Most of that area around the BG Theatre is restricted private parking and the clampers, who ARE on commission, are like lightning to put clamps on anything. Must of been a quiet day if they clamped a motorbike, unless it was really badly parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Goose81

who in gods name would pay to have it removed, just call a mate with a van put the bike in the back and off you go

Whats this about? why didn't he just move it if he knew they were there

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Goose81 wrote: »
    who in gods name would pay to have it removed, just call a mate with a van put the bike in the back and off you go

Whats this about? why didn't he just move it if he knew they were there

Did you read the post....

There was a clamp on it.... And then...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hmm. Just thought I'd do a search to get some ideas on where to park the bike for my new job, and this is disheartening to read. Any suggestions on where to park safely in the Grand Canal Dock area?

Hmm. Just thought I'd do a search to get some ideas on where to park the bike for my new job, and this is disheartening to read. Any suggestions on where to park safely in the Grand Canal Dock area?
    Anywhere you like that doesn't cause an obstruction. Keep a bolt cutters at work. If you're clamped by anybody but DCC, just think of it as free extra security for your noble steed.

G'luck with the new job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Someone close to me chopped one off the wheel of his small van about 5 years ago in Cork. He didn't know if there would be some follow up consequences but did it anyway. He never heard about it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I know of somebody clamped recently on the footpath in the Grand Canal area. He wasnt blocking anybody. Plenty of space around. They can be ruthless.

@Krusty does the job have space you can use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

cantdecide wrote: »
    Someone close to me chopped one off the wheel of his small van about 5 years ago in Cork. He didn't know if there would be some follow up consequences but did it anyway. He never heard about it again.

A cousin from west Wicklow parked in Dublin cut one off his van with a grinder he had in his van. Similarly, heard nothing. I'd not risk it as surely the clamper, if he has a right to control parking in an area, will take a photograph of vehicle and clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A cousin from west Wicklow parked in Dublin cut one off his van with a grinder he had in his van. Similarly, heard nothing. I'd not risk it as surely the clamper, if he has a right to control parking in an area, will take a photograph of vehicle and clamp.

Together with their reg number, surely. You would think that this could easily be called criminal damage or some other thing but I've never heard of someone being prosecuted for removing a clamp. I get the feeling that the law may be interesting around this.

Together with their reg number, surely. You would think that this could easily be called criminal damage or some other thing but I've never heard of someone being prosecuted for removing a clamp. I get the feeling that the law may be interesting around this.

Never been challenged in court. If the clampers lost the case their racket business would disappear overnight.

It’s not criminal damage if there’s no clamp to provide evidence of damage. I’ve a few in the shed.

If it’s not a DCC clamp. Remove it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Would think that a photograph of the owner cutting off the clamp would also be required as Capt. DeClamp may have been the clamp cutter. :D

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Would think that a photograph of the owner cutting off the clamp would also be required as Capt. DeClamp may have been the clamp cutter. :D

It musta fallen off, yer honour!

GBX wrote: »
    I know of somebody clamped recently on the footpath in the Grand Canal area. He wasnt blocking anybody. Plenty of space around. They can be ruthless.
    @Krusty does the job have space you can use ?
    Yep, there's an underground car-park. Just €430 per month. :eek: They say the'll clamp if you don't park in a space (and you need a fob to get in). Whole car-park is obviously empty. Can't really go with the car-park route (and remove the clamp), as it wouldn't go down very well with the job!

The whole area is a bit like that. Not very biker friendly. More your electric scooters and Frapuccino brigade. To be honest, while I wouldn't plan on it, it's much better value to be clamped. :) Will keep going on the street, and figure out what to do after they clamp me. Any way to see what the extent of their 'territory' is, so I can park up on Corpo jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Just park a bit off grand canal square and you'll be fine. Lots of spaces around pearse st, barrow st and even on the quays there, which are public roads and no clamping.

I would also see if there's anyone else in the job that has a bike, more than likely there is. Find out what they do.

TBH people need to do their homework on parking bikes in new locations, suss it out to avoid clamping issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Just park a bit off grand canal square and you'll be fine. Lots of spaces around pearse st, barrow st and even on the quays there, which are public roads and no clamping.

I would also see if there's anyone else in the job that has a bike, more than likely there is. Find out what they do.

TBH people need to do their homework on parking bikes in new locations, suss it out to avoid clamping issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This "public space is actually private property" sh!t really boils my piss, same jokers try it on at the IFSC. Tell you you can't take a photo in a public place when the law says you can.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

colm_c wrote: »

Nobody. Small company (in Ireland), occupying a serviced office. There was a single bike in the car park, taking up a carpark space, so I'd assume it's an allocation. Anyway, this is my homework and parking just outside of the clamping zone is what I've been doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Could you share the that space with the other bike? I know I wouldn't mind as long as you weren't blocking..

Could you share the that space with the other bike? I know I wouldn't mind as long as you weren't blocking..
    Other bike must belong to someone in a different company, who are likely coughing up the €430/month. Not sure how keen they'd be to have someone share the spot! Ah, it'll be grand on the street. I'll post back in two months, for advice on how to forcefully remove a clamp!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,331 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You could possibly negotiate a reduced fee for parking your bike - try for €100?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement