Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physchem as an extra ?

Options
  • 23-02-2018 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Ok I’m in 5th year and well I do applied maths as an extra subject in school and I’ve gotten between 70-80 in all tests but today we had a relative velocity test and I’m 100% sure I failed so I’m sick of it at this stage so I’m thinking of dropping but want to replace it and I was thinking of phys/chem? I do physics and chemistry and it seems easy but I dunno.
    Anyone give me info at all what it’s like and where I can do it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can't do it if you are doing Physics or Chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

spurious wrote: »
    You can't do it if you are doing Physics or Chemistry.

Oh really ? Oh ok thank you

Ok well if I can’t do it because I do physics and chemistry does anyone have another suggestion for a subject ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't give up on the Applied Maths after one setback.

spurious wrote: »
    Don't give up on the Applied Maths after one setback.

I know but it’s sort of embarrassing I feel like my teacher thinks I’m really stupid because about 1/3 of the class is really really good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

That’s the nature of the subject, unfortunately. I’d advise against comparing yourself to your classmates. Nothing good will come of it and you’re liable to make false assessments. I made a drastic improvement in sixth year from bottom third to top two or three, having been intimidated by my classmates before that.

It could be that your class is quite good, and therefore not representative. Nationally, two-thirds of people, a comfortable majority (!), will get less than 80%.

1 - 15%
    2 - 23%
    3 - 20%
    4 - 15%

Anyway, focus on yourself and realise that 70-80 is very credible.

If you insist on dropping, and assuming you’d be taking the subject in your spare time, you’re limited by having to do coursework in many subjects. Economics is normally considered a good choice, because it’s short, repetitive, can be self-taught from a textbook and has no coursework.

That’s the nature of the subject, unfortunately. I’d advise against comparing yourself to your classmates. Nothing good will come of it and you’re liable to make false assessments. I made a drastic improvement in sixth year from bottom third to top two or three, having been intimidated by my classmates before that.

It could be that your class is quite good, and therefore not representative. Nationally, two-thirds of people, a comfortable majority (!), will get less than 80%.

1 - 15%
    2 - 23%
    3 - 20%
    4 - 15%
    Anyway, focus on yourself and realise that 70-80 is very credible.

If you insist on dropping, and assuming you’d be taking the subject in your spare time, you’re limited by having to do coursework in many subjects. Economics is normally considered a good choice, because it’s short, repetitive, can be self-taught from a textbook and has no coursework.

That makes me feel a bit better...thank you:)
    I don’t really want to drop it because I like it but I just feel so useless at times and feel like my teacher thinks I’m not as good but I’ll see what he says Monday and if I’m keeping it on I’ll try not to compare myself. Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

Sb567 wrote: »
    That makes me feel a bit better...thank you:)
    I don’t really want to drop it because I like it but I just feel so useless at times and feel like my teacher thinks I’m not as good but I’ll see what he says Monday and if I’m keeping it on I’ll try not to compare myself. Thanks again :)

No probs! You should tell your teacher that you feel that way. It's part of their job to instill confidence in you. Hope it works out :)

No probs! You should tell your teacher that you feel that way. It's part of their job to instill confidence in you. Hope it works out :)

Yeah I’ll talk to him. I’ll let you know !!

Advertisement