Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspaper campaigns

• 23-02-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭

What do you think of newspaper campaigns I've always been quite suspicious of them, we saw a lot of them in the UK, while the papers were acting despicably behind the backs of the people they were purporting to be supporting.

there a few going in Ireland now, Daily Mail re banning smartphones (are hoping teenagers will pick up copies of the Daily Mail) THe Dialy Mail boasted about getting 1,000 people to send in cut-off petition slips which doesn't seem very many.

the Times doing one about cycling and minimum passing distance

the Mirror doing one about defibulators in schools, (I think) with a picture of journalist standing smiling with a TD.... uck. That just looks wrong.

reckon they should just report and not campaign, although maybe explicit campaigns are better then unspoken ones like the Irish Examiners campaign against the internet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the Mirror doing one about defibulators in schools, (I think) with a picture of journalist standing smiling with a TD.... uck. That just looks wrong.

worse, not the Mirror the Sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

the Mirror doing one about defibulators in schools, (I think) with a picture of journalist standing smiling with a TD.... uck.

It is usually the local papers that arse lick the tds. Campaigns are not for the people, the paper always has an agenda. Like politicians the papers want to do something populistic. Is that a word?

It is usually the local papers that arse lick the tds. Campaigns are not for the people, the paper always has an agenda. Like politicians the papers want to do something populistic. Is that a word?
    Local papers might do something like save our park or whatever its the national papers that bother me more though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

They never do anything without an agenda even if it is not clear at the time there is something behind it.

well its one thing writing a series of articles on a subject, its another doing a _Campaign_ you might think that more honest, its as if they admit the words in their articles aren't good enough and it just looks like the journalists are trying to rub shoulders with policians, (when they they have thier owners and editors to do that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

The Irish Times campaigns consistantly for open borders. It has being doing it for years and has accelerated (along with RTE) the campaign recently. The only qualification is that southside Dublin is exempt.

Advertisement