Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become Year Head

Options
  • 23-02-2018 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all,

So a year head position will be opening up next year and I am interested in it. Is there anything I could do to better my chances? Any courses I could do to prepare and improve? Even if I am not successful it won't be any harm to learn something new.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hi all,

So a year head position will be opening up next year and I am interested in it. Is there anything I could do to better my chances? Any courses I could do to prepare and improve? Even if I am not successful it won't be any harm to learn something new.

Thank you

Is this an AP1 or AP2 post that’s coming up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Do a masters in management.
    Run/ organise stuff in school that helps management - nothing to do with class room or teaching your subject
    Learn the lingo for interviews - talk about how 'I led' blah blah blah.
    Know how you can assist management in future

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Year Head is not a post of responsibility. No current year head has a masters. You don't get any classes off for year bead duties either. I'm just very interested in the job. I've been a tutor for many years now too.

Every year head in my school has an AP1 post, a masters in education/ management, classes off and AP1 pay. Maybe do some research first.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

Just depends on the school and their criteria. Some schools want year heads with some management experience such as toriocht or the masters in management while others ain't as picky. If you are successfully running programmes in the school like numeracy wellbeing etc that's good enough. Every school is different so maybe ask other year heads and see your own school context.

I have seen year heads with no extra qualifications get the job who have done very little in the school but are yes people, so thats not always relevant. Some stories out there are baffling, marks are subjective at times to suit the preferred candidate.

• Advertisement

Year Head is not a post of responsibility. No current year head has a masters. You don't get any classes off for year bead duties either. I'm just very interested in the job. I've been a tutor for many years now too.

Not a post of responsibility in your school you mean? What di the post holders do if you don't me asking?

Do a Masters?Postgrad in management/leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Year Head not a post anymore in my school either. The only criteria to be one here seems to be willingness to do it for free. They all have a Masters in leadership and management though because 80% of the staff do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Year Head not a post anymore in my school either. The only criteria to be one here seems to be willingness to do it for free. They all have a Masters in leadership and management though because 80% of the staff do anyway.

That's crazy. Maybe if it's a small enough school though!

In general, what are the AP posts delegated too Reign Green Room?

In general, what are the AP posts delegated too Arlessienne?

650 students and 300 FE. A-posts are combinations of LCA coordinator, DEIS coordinator, FE coordinator, school completion, JCSP coordinator, exams coordinator, events coordinator, IT coordinator, and lots of smaller bits and pieces. They were all year heads up to 10 years ago but gradually this was phased out and now there's year heads with only a couple of years experience! Nonsense really tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

In general, what are the AP posts delegated too Reign Green Room?

650 students and 300 FE. A-posts are combinations of LCA coordinator, DEIS coordinator, FE coordinator, school completion, JCSP coordinator, exams coordinator, events coordinator, IT coordinator, and lots of smaller bits and pieces. They were all year heads up to 10 years ago but gradually this was phased out and now there's year heads with only a couple of years experience! Nonsense really tbh.

How's the discipline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ye need a review of posts asap
    Do ye have a Programme coordinator?

km79 wrote: »
    Ye need a review of posts asap
    Do ye have a Programme coordinator?

Same old... People in the school are willing to volunteer for year head, so why change.

Same old... People in the school are willing to volunteer for year head, so why change.

Some of those posts are daft though ?
    Events coordinator???? An A post ???
    A couple could also come under the umbrella of Programme coordinator and I’d argue some are responsibilities of DP as well
    That School needs an urgent review of posts

A couple could also come under the umbrella of Programme coordinator and I’d argue some are responsibilities of DP as well

I could give you some examples that would be way worse but identify the school straight away :pac:... let's just say it was akin to 'photocopying paper administrator' . Legacy issue though and the AP in that case was being put out to pasture before retirement.

I could give you some examples that would be way worse but identify the school straight away :pac:... let's just say it was akin to 'photocopying paper administrator' . Legacy issue though and the AP in that case was being put out to pasture before retirement.

That’s exactly what was wrong with the old system imo
    They are getting paid over 8 grand for the post
    They should be doing the same work as the other postholder s
    But this was a common occurrence as there was zero accountability

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    How's the discipline?

Fairly poor and declining. It was never great though. Some of that attributable to one or two inexperienced year heads, but really a bigger issue of lack of proper support from more senior management - particularly the BOM.

Events coordinator is not their only role. They organise all PT meetings, open days, graduations, musicals etc.

I think year head should be done by post holders but I actually don't see any problem with the level of work done currently by our A-post holders. They all do way more than enough work as it is. I think any staff review will agree that these are the most important roles to the running of our school. The school has also received excellent reports in recent MLL and a couple of programme evaluations over the past year or so. I don't think there's much evidence for a need to significantly alter posts except for the status of year head.

Fairly poor and declining. It was never great though. Some of that attributable to inexperienced one or year heads, but really a bigger issue of lack of proper support from more senior management - particularly the BOM.

Events coordinator is not their only role. They organise all PT meetings, open days, graduations, musicals etc.

I think year head should be done by post holders but I actually don't see any problem with the level of work done currently by our A-post holders. They all do way more than enough work as it is. I think any staff review will agree that these are the most important roles to the running of our school. The school has also received excellent reports in recent MLL and a couple of programme evaluations over the past year or so. I don't think there's much evidence for a need to significantly alter posts except for the status of year head.

Again I would argue that PTMs ,open days and graduations should be organized by senior management

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

doc_17 wrote: »
    Not a post of responsibility in your school you mean? What di the post holders do if you don't me asking?

There are some which are considered valuable as in jc mock co ordinator and lc mock co ordinator and some that are ridiculous, i don't want to go into too much detail in case my school is recognised but lc audio co ordinator which is basically making sure there are enough cd players. School newsletter. LC repeats to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

doc_17 wrote: »

There are some which are considered valuable as in jc mock co ordinator and lc mock co ordinator and some that are ridiculous, i don't want to go into too much detail in case my school is recognised but lc audio co ordinator which is basically making sure there are enough cd players. School newsletter. LC repeats to name a few.

Brilliant. That reads like a parody. Some diligent principals, staff and boards in that school over the years to let that happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are they very big schools with the newsletter posts?
    I suppose if there's a post for everyone in the audience due to huge numbers you can afford those sorts of posts.

• Advertisement

Audio Coordinator? That’s the best I’ve ever heard. All those things you mention are the job of the exam secretary!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

How about distribution of mail?

How about distribution of mail?

School secretary?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

Part of a post in our place.

Advertisement