Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bike for specific commute

Options
  • 23-02-2018 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hey all
    So a few weeks ago I posted on here looking for a belt driven bike. After a bit more research I realised it's probably not the best bike for my commute. I am asking for people on here to recommend a bike that might suit? Looking to spend the whole 1000 of the btw. I am a total novice btw :pac:

This is my precise commute. monday to friday
    also not sure what size bike I should be generally looking at ... I am 174cm tall

Unfortunately I can only get bikes from here

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

360 cycles, from the couple of times i've been in there, seem like a decent bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

Ok thanks will have to call in to see what they have. would a hybrid be a better option? just to have an idea of what i should be keeping an eye out for

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ba3

I'd recommend the below if you're willing to spend few quid more ,probably can bargain a bit and get it ordered by lbs, I'm commuting about 13km each way daily have had this bike for nearly a year, done about 4k on it , it's really quick hybrid , only downside was generic tyres worn out too quickly to my liking but have changed to commuter ones for winter anyways
    https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-sport-4/p/1341000-2018/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a hybrid won't necessarily be better, especially if you catch the cycling bug; a drop handlebar bike would be favoured if you do decide to go out on longer spins.
    you'll want something that can take mudguards, and reasonably wide tyres, for comfort. budget for mudguards, lock, lights, etc. within the €1000 spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

I used a hybrid for my 15km commute. I spent the whole btw too. The local bike shop will help you out with sizing the bike to fit your profile. They showed me a few different brands and I picked a Giant Escape. I added a rack and panniers as I prefer not carrying gear on my back. Upgraded the tyres to a more puncture proof brand and added mudguards.

I've recently moved to a bike that uses hydraulic disc brakes and I find them so much better than the rim brakes I had. I think Giant do a version of the Escape with discs now and it would be my preference. I just find the stopping power great even in the wet and not having to clean the wheel rims after those dirty mucky days.

I have no experience with belt-driven systems. I would think a chain system requires a bit more regular maintenance. Clean and oil the chain as needed and the derailleur might need the odd bit of indexing from time to time. A work colleague didn't know anything about bikes and bought one too and thought that was that. After a few months of never checking the tyres for air, the rear tyre and wheel was destroyed. A small bit of regular maintenance is all that's required to keep the bike going.

The local bike shop can show you whats available for your budget. Just try out a few different models and see what you like best. Enjoy the commute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Re your route. Have you tried going through castleknock gate, up Aubrn avenue and on to blanch. Auburn was recently resurfaced, nice road bit more direct.
    Enjoy your new bike!

not sure what auburn avenue would give you there - would mean venturing onto the n3 while crossing over to blanch?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

After a bit more research I realised it's probably not the best bike for my commute.

Out of interest would you mind saying why you've come to this conclusion? I have a similar enough commute distance wise which I did by hybrid for years and am currently doing on a lower end rigid mountain bike but had been thinking of switching to belt driven and hub gears longer term so any info appreciated. :)

At the top of Auburn avenue you turn left past Brady's garage cross a pedestrian/bike bridge on into Blanch village. There is a good Cycle lane both sides of the Avenue.

I currently commute around 15k each way. I'm looking at the Canyon Roadlite series for a new bike. I don't think it can get got on the bike scheme but good specs for a decent price.

thanks all for the input. kinda narrowing it down to a half road/hybrid
    Out of interest would you mind saying why you've come to this conclusion? I have a similar enough commute distance wise which I did by hybrid for years and am currently doing on a lower end rigid mountain bike but had been thinking of switching to belt driven and hub gears longer term so any info appreciated. :)
    hi, some issues were re: the weight of belt drives - the limited gears - they're still new so you probably won't be getting your money's worth vs chain.
    that's what i gathered anyways, could be wrong as i'm a novice myself.
    best

• Advertisement

mmrs wrote: »
    At the top of Auburn avenue you turn left past Brady's garage cross a pedestrian/bike bridge on into Blanch village. There is a good Cycle lane both sides of the Avenue.

I currently commute around 15k each way. I'm looking at the Canyon Roadlite series for a new bike. I don't think it can get got on the bike scheme but good specs for a decent price.
    there's a part that seems to go under the m50 :eek: is it safe to cycle there?

It's a bridge over the m50. Completely safe and very little traffic.

the only thing that goes under the M50 at that junction is the tolka. even the canal goes over the M50 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

thanks all for the input. kinda narrowing it down to a half road/hybrid

hi, some issues were re: the weight of belt drives - the limited gears - they're still new so you probably won't be getting your money's worth vs chain.
    that's what i gathered anyways, could be wrong as i'm a novice myself.
    best

The belt drive actually weighs less than a chain/derailleur. The Issue with weight is to do with the hub. They've been around a good while now and are established technology.

Gear wise, you probably dont need more than 8 gears for that commute. I do a 30 km round trip from Finglas to Clonskeagh every day with an alfine hub and a newly acquired belt drive. Never happier.

so I've tried a few bikes out and am about to order this one- https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=119107

I am 174cm tall and 80cm inseam. I'm getting the 54 inch/large, is it the right size for me? It felt alright when I tested it but then again I know nothing about bikes.

* I initially thought the big tyres looked ridiculous but after trying the bike with them on I kind of like them :D. Is it possible to change the tyres to slightly smaller ones or would I need to get new rims?

thanks

Is there any reason you went for the Hyde pro over the Hyde race?

The Race is nearly 2 kilos lighter, has an alfine instead of a nexus hub and is only €100 more. Much better value.

You can go down to 32 tyres on those wheels if you want to change.

Size wise, you may want to try a medium and see how that feels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

ba3 wrote: »
    I'd recommend the below if you're willing to spend few quid more ,probably can bargain a bit and get it ordered by lbs, I'm commuting about 13km each way daily have had this bike for nearly a year, done about 4k on it , it's really quick hybrid , only downside was generic tyres worn out too quickly to my liking but have changed to commuter ones for winter anyways
    https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-sport-4/p/1341000-2018/

What new tyres did you put on it? I have the same bike and the generic tyres are not great.

It's a smashing bike otherwise. I've been fairly clocking up the km on it.

droidus wrote: »
    Is there any reason you went for the Hyde pro over the Hyde race?

The Race is nearly 2 kilos lighter, has an alfine instead of a nexus hub and is only €100 more. Much better value.

You can go down to 32 tyres on those wheels if you want to change.

Size wise, you may want to try a medium and see how that feels.

I was hoping to get the helmet, lock and the bike for the 1000. Didn't notice that the race was only a 100 more, tempting :o

All the medium size bikes I tried felt a bit too small. Just wanted to check if the bike wasn't too big as i've read on here that
    you're better off buying a smaller frame than a bigger one

I'll see if they can change the tyres for me. haven't ordered yet, just need to decide and submit the invoice

What new tyres did you put on it? I have the same bike and the generic tyres are not great.

don't have the bike ...yet! i just felt they looked to big but once i was on the bike i really liked them.

do you have the same tyres on yours? how've you found the bike? gears, potential issues, annoyances etc?

thanks

Generic ones lasted about 6 months, they are 28mm ,to be fair they were grand while lasted, but I found them a bit easy to puncture,had 3 punctures one week,tbh I cycle through fairly bad stretches where there could be glass at points etc
    For winter I'm using marathon plus ones, bit hard to put on and on the slower side but really good commuting wise, a pair I had on previous bike lasted nearly 4 years.
    I'm now looking up to get separate wheelset to be able just change the wheels for summer, looks like mavic aksium wheelset I'll go for, they have mavic generic tyres included which seem to be good value

https://shop.mavic.com/en-int/aksium-elite-rr0844.html#1028=3283

good article her too

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/218046-26-best-road-cycling-tyres

• Advertisement

don't have the bike ...yet! i just felt they looked to big but once i was on the bike i really liked them.

do you have the same tyres on yours? how've you found the bike? gears, potential issues, annoyances etc?

thanks

see my previous post on tyres, no real issues with the bike, I got a smart carrier as an extra as hate backpacks and changed pedals to have option for cleats

no issues besides front shifter broke about a year in, hoping wire just snapped

I was hoping to get the helmet, lock and the bike for the 1000. Didn't notice that the race was only a 100 more, tempting :o

All the medium size bikes I tried felt a bit too small. Just wanted to check if the bike wasn't too big as i've read on here that .

I'll see if they can change the tyres for me. haven't ordered yet, just need to decide and submit the invoice

The Alfine is a big upgrade from the Nexus hub and you'll feel those two extra kilos. I'd definitely do it if you can afford it.

You also wont get a helmet and a lock and the pro for less than 1000. You'd probably be looking at 60-100 for each, unless the shop does you a deal.

I upgraded the tyres to Conti 4 season 32's, which Im very happy with. Cost about €80 for a pair online and the shop gave me €30 for the old tyres, which are probably more than they were worth.

Advertisement