Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasses and cycling

Options
  • 23-02-2018 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

My eyes water to the point where I can hardly see sometimes when cycling. Aside from being dangerous, it's bloody annoying. Wrap around glasses are the obvious solution but given I am blind as a bat they would need to be prescription ones which cost a fortune. Anyone got any cheap and cheerful solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,488 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cheap wraparounds with contacts?

If you have a strong prescription, it could be challenging to get wraparounds that can take it.

If you have private health insurance, some of the plans cover up to €150 on prescription glasses per year.
    Specsavers used to have a Norville range of sports glasses for about €200, dunno if they still do them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

My glasses prescription is not overly strong but they are a necessity. For short distances I’ll just wear my glasses. For long spins I use contacts with wrap around sunglasses. My sunglasses can take a prescription insert though, but it can sit very close to the eyes, and may be uncomfortable. Still, look online with a company like Firmoo, and you may be able to get a pair to try out without too much outlay.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Try Optilabs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've some glasses that have interchangeable lenses and also have an insert for prescription lenses. Got them on Amazon and find them excellent.

Specsavers wouldn't entertain doing the inserts, though they did before, got an independent optician to do it them.

Can't remember the brand, but cheap on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

4OP, I'm in the same boat in that my eyes start to water sometimes. My cure was a pair of lab prescription glasses (the joys of working in a lab, eye protection). They can be got reasonably well.

If you want to try that solution out and not spend a fortune, get a pair of lab overglasses. They go over your regular glasses and cost a few euro delivered from eBay, etc

US1000C_HERO.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Beasty wrote: »

I’d second this!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Picked up a pair of reasonably decent prescription sports sunglasses from Specsavers last time I was getting my main glasses changed. Came out at €180 from memory and work well. Not 100% wraparound, so some loss of peripheral vision, but great apart from that. Ideal for keeping the wind out and low winter sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

As already stated,Optilabs are superb to deal with,great customer service.

They even sent over a box of sample glasses in different styles for me to try on,with no obligation.

The glasses ended up costing about €180,photochromic prescription lenses (not inserts) and worth every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

I've got ones online from Rapid eyewear with various shaded lens's. Fairly cheap as well

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Bolle have a range of wraparound prescription glasses. I'm blind as a bat, but they were still able to squeeze my prescription in there.
    At €400, it's not cheap, but they work a treat. Any decent opticians should be able to do them. If you're in Cork, I recommend John Daly on Oliver Plunkett St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

Crikey, thats not cheap. My Rapids incl myopia lenses were about 60 quid and years later they are still ok. You can get a wide range of these type of cycling glasses on Alliexpress (about 20 dollars). You'll just need to get an optician to fit the Myopia lenses.

Advertisement