Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dev84 wrote: »
    Nothing as of yet in kildare.

Nothing was expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That light snow north of Dublin seems to be dying completely quite quickly.
    Still snizzling away in Dunshaughlin

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Dew point very low in swords - 7

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Snow in meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dev84 wrote: »
    Nothing as of yet in kildare.

Tomorrow evening will be all systems go for Leinster. Pressure is 1034mb at the moment so we are lucky enough to getting snow grains today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

PLL wrote: »
    Oh I remember 2010 so well, I lived in a old building on the north side of Cork as a student. No insulation and those old storage heaters. Delighted when Friday hit and was due to get the bus home. I was dreaming of the warmth that devoured you from the range when you opened the back door. Walked from the north side to the bus station in -6 as fast as I could, to find my bus had been cancelled. The walk back I'll never forget. I sat next to that storage heater in three layers of clothes all evening.

Let's truly look out for each other and make sure no-one gets left outside.

There were days here (south Sligo) were it didn't go above minus 10 in daylight and I found it difficult to breathe outside.

I hope all those without a home find a warm haven.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks like some nice beefy snow showers in south east england at the moment, southend airport for example reported moderate snow and a vis of 2000m at 7:20pm. Should be seeing plenty of that in the east tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Thats a lot of white gold in the English Channel right there. East coast of England looks to be snowing all the too. All the more reason to be excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I can't wait for the snow streamers to start on the east coast tomorrow night and Wednesday,that should quieten the nay sayers a tad.

East coast going to get a pasting.

Much love from the west coast.Enjoy it!!! :)

I wish everyone was getting a bit of snow, I know how bad it feels seeing other places an hour away posting pics of loads of snow . I guess many people are more mature than me and can be happy for others but it just depressed me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Biting cold here in West Mayo,temperature hovering at 1 degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The cold is definitely coming, - 10 yesterday in the part of Poland where my wife is from, - 24 today. I think that would make the uppers just over - 34.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

2010 remember seeing lots of them icicles hanging from the roof and it was the only time I ever seen that here.

Also the canal frozen over too like above was a sight.

Baltic as fcuk it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The snizzle hasn't really stopped here, been going on since around half 2. Now if we had this with the more favourable conditions tomorrow we'd be talking!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

So what's the expectation for what day schools will be shut>???

Nobody really knows yet although we should know by tomorrow night as to what the conditions are for Wednesday morning commute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Never used the ignore function before this evening. Getting great use out of it now! I can't be dealing with people who can't / won't understand sentences of more than 5 words.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

I'm hedging my bets for Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

The fact that John Eagleton gave such a different forecast to Michelle Dillion poses a few questions about Met Eireann.

1. Either there's a communications problem or..

2. Forecasters are going it alone a little trying to out do each other as to who'll be right. Bit of factionalism within the organisation.. Possibly between the older and younger meteorologists..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Schools will only be shut in red alert areas or where principals see fit if local conditions are bad enough to warrant a closure on health and safety grounds.

Wednesday/Thursday/Friday look most at risk for any closures. Was speaking to two principals of two schools in the Naas Area on Saturday and they mentioned to me Thursday and Friday they may have to close because conditions are looking terrible. But as with the model runs this evening it is far from decided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I haven't checked the Met Éireann radar until now and I must say, it seems pretty accurate compared to Netweather. Netweather has shown no precip here all day. There are reports in Louth that nothing has fallen. It seems to be modelling the precip more accurately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

1 degree currently in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TECH85

Sorry for the post - i got a yellow card.

Anyway , back on topic . From tomorrow morning on things should start getting really interesting !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Can a mod or someone in the know give an updated prediction?

I remember during the last storm there was one posterbin particular who was very good . I think it was mount something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

jeonahr wrote: »
    I'm hedging my bets for Thursday.

Some areas possibly Wednesday aswell? If I can't get to work safely at 630am I will be keeping my 9 year old home in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Autochange wrote: »

I remember during the last storm there was one posterbin particular who was very good . I think it was mount something?

OP forecast still stands. You're thinking of M.T Cranium, he has a daily forecast thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=318

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

jasper100 wrote: »

That's just embarrassing really. This is some snow coming right, snow ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

The fact that John Eagleton gave such a different forecast to Michelle Dillion poses a few questions about Met Eireann.

1. Either there's a communications problem or..

2. Forecasters are going it alone a little trying to out do each other as to who'll be right. Bit of factionalism within the organisation.. Possibly between the older and younger meteorologists..

Indeed much of the confusion (or ammo for trolls -depending on your perspective) had come from mixed messaging. The standard excuse that it's a constantly resolving situation doesn't cut it since two different forecasts went out at the same time.

Whatever the cause, ME need to improve their quality control.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

From what I've seen I don't see this being as bad as 2010. It simply won't be wide spread enough. Locally, it might be as bad as 2010 but nation wide it won't come close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Autochange wrote: »

Its best use met.ie. They give the most balanced and realistic predictions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    OP forecast still stands. You're thinking of M.T Cranium, he has a daily forecast thread.

Ah I see. Thank you.
    Yes that name seems familiar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement