Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    That's just embarrassing really. This is some snow coming right, snow ffs.

Depends where you live. If you're on very high ground you mightn't get out for over a week. Alright on main roads with snow ploughs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Would love a repeat of this...

39793083034_a76d97e73e_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

Very light snow in Trim.

I got an email from my daughter's school stating they will only close if a red alert is issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some areas possibly Wednesday aswell? If I can't get to work safely at 630am I will be keeping my 9 year old home in any case.

The forecast in the OP really does not require updating to be honest. It's the same today as yesterday.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

The 8pm news bulletin on Today FM just began with something along the lines of: "the country is bracing itself for the worst snowfall in 35 years....."

Is this just media hype or could it actually be that bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

The fact that John Eagleton gave such a different forecast to Michelle Dillion poses a few questions about Met Eireann.

1. Either there's a communications problem or..

2. Forecasters are going it alone a little trying to out do each other as to who'll be right. Bit of factionalism within the organisation.. Possibly between the older and younger meteorologists..

Also a spelling problem .... 6:01 warning had Sever Frost ! They never heard of a
    (weather ) Spell check!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

MeTheMan wrote: »
    From what I've seen I don't see this being as bad as 2010. It simply won't be wide spread enough. Locally, it might be as bad as 2010 but nation wide it won't come close.

If the east shuts down it will be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Snowglobe2018

Long time lurker. Have been following with great interest over the last few days. Why do I get the impression that things are not as bullish as they were yesterday? Has there been a downgrade? I watched the six one forecast and it didn’t seem like a downgrade to me but what did John Eagleton say that has many folk irked? And where did he say it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

dak wrote: »
    Also a spelling problem .... 6:01 warning had Sever Frost ! They never heard of a
    (weather ) Spell check!!

Thats for when it’s cold enough to cut you in half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Juppie wrote: »
    Very light snow in Trim.

I got an email from my daughter's school stating they will only close if a red alert is issued.

That seems very hasty by the school, so if it a marginal situation (between orange and red alerts) where there is no red issued but it could still be hazardous to have kids out on the roads/footpaths they are committed to that.

• Advertisement

The 8pm news bulletin on Today FM just began with something along the lines of: "the country is bracing itself for the worst snowfall in 35 years....."

Is this just media hype or could it actually be that bad?

Well nothing yet. When are they expecting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Clear shift to the NE in wind direction here now. Temps stuck at 1c. DP -5c. Kildare

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

jasper100 wrote: »

You were asked to keep thread on topic and stop the bickering , unfortunately a warning has been given now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Long time lurker. Have been following with great interest over the last few days. Why do I get the impression that things are not as bullish as they were yesterday? Has there been a downgrade? I watched the six one forecast and it didn’t seem like a downgrade to me but what did John Eagleton say that has many folk irked? And where did he say it?

No downgrade between now and Thursday evening.

What happens Thursday evening/night and Friday morning is uncertain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Dev84 wrote: »
    Well nothing yet. When are they expecting it?

Please read through the thread or MT's daily forecasts if you wish to know

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No downgrade between now and Thursday evening.

What happens Thursday evening/night and Friday morning is uncertain.

Probably to far out to forecast accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

6-1 weather basically said widespread snow Thursday/Friday. Delighted was dreading that the west would miss out in the best snow in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

There’s nothing yet because it’s from Tomorrow night / Wed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

From Germany - 26.02.2018: record-breaking cold air

Run the video sequence to see a projection for the week ahead.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

That seems very hasty by the school, so if it a marginal situation (between orange and red alerts) where there is no red issued but it could still be hazardous to have kids out on the roads/footpaths they are committed to that.

I did think it was hasty and I reckon it's subject to change.

• Advertisement

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    That's just embarrassing really. This is some snow coming right, snow ffs.

And another infraction given

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Decent snow now falling in Celbridge. Flakes, not grains.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That is from yesterday, at least he talks about waking up Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

dak wrote: »
    (weather ) Spell check!!
    wO1Yt0p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

That juicy stuff off the coast of Scotland appears to be sleet. Also the picture above says "Artic" rather than "Arctic". More typos lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Now, everyone's aware of the Eagles forecast on the radio, however this doesn't match his latest tweet an hour ago

https://twitter.com/Isobars/status/968199541802618880

Many of his other tweets mention a big snow and cold, something doesn't add up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Maybe he was trying to calm people down? I'm still a bit annoyed at that forecast though!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Hate it when it's dark, anything could be happening out there and I can't see, I need a lamp post :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Now, everyone's aware of the Eagles forecast on the radio, however this doesn't match his latest tweet an hour ago

https://twitter.com/Isobars/status/968199541802618880

Many of his other tweets mention a big snow and cold, something doesn't add up here.

To be honest with you is that even really him? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pad199207 wrote: »
    To be honest with you is that even really him? :D

Actually, I'm beginning to think it's not. Despite implying it is, it may not be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement