Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Now, everyone's aware of the Eagles forecast on the radio, however this doesn't match his latest tweet an hour ago

https://twitter.com/Isobars/status/968199541802618880

Many of his other tweets mention a big snow and cold, something doesn't add up here.

Maybe got his wording wrong on the radio? Or maybe he was put right by the snow bunny faction inside Met Eireann :D

spookwoman wrote: »
    wO1Yt0p.jpg
    A juggernaut of cold air. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Decent snow now falling in Celbridge. Flakes, not grains.
    Must have been short lived. No snow at all here now in Celbridge :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Now, everyone's aware of the Eagles forecast on the radio, however this doesn't match his latest tweet an hour ago

Many of his other tweets mention a big snow and cold, something doesn't add up here.
    And this why I am getting it hard to convince my elderly enough parents to park the car up for a few days...they are getting conflicting reports of the severity to what’s coming.
    Fine if it doesn’t pan out as bad as expected but better to be safe than sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Artane2002 wrote: »
    That juicy stuff off the coast of Scotland appears to be sleet. Also the picture above says "Artic" rather than "Arctic". More typos lol.

That's quite far out in the sea, once it nears land it should turn very readily to snow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This was the bread aisle in Tesco in Midleton earlier.

28424249_10155426406717060_8113779102856392682_o.jpg?oh=39c84d8c73df23d597fb49467bda7c59&oe=5B122E9A

From REDFM Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/corksredfm/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

One thing I don't understand is that the UK media are mentioning amber warnings for the country. Is that the equivalent of orange warnings in this country or is it a different level again?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Decent snow now falling in Celbridge. Flakes, not grains.

I live in Celbridge and just went out the back and nothing, pressure still fairly high for any decent precipitation

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

He was asked a leading question. He was asked "would the country grind to a halt?"

He can't say "yes" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

One thing I don't understand is that the UK media are mentioning amber warnings for the country. Is that the equivalent of orange warnings in this country or is it a different level again?

Equivalent of orange

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Biting cold here now. Feel of snow in the air. Met eireann aren't always right but i think they are now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Same...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Is there a link to the Eagleton forecast? I was half listening so may have missed the nuance but I heard him say 'it's Tuesday evening when it all kicks off'.

He did say that there would be rain on Saturday. But I heard nothing about no snow between the two days. I'm sure he mentioned significant snowfall in fact.

He was asked a leading question. He was asked "would the country grind to a halt?"

I didn't actually hear the forecast, was it assumed to be more negative than it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've went to a removal tonight and deck me was it cold. Im just back from walking the dog and my hands are numb. It is bitter out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The 8pm news bulletin on Today FM just began with something along the lines of: "the country is bracing itself for the worst snowfall in 35 years....."

Is this just media hype or could it actually be that bad?

Media hype. There will be snow and yes, a couple of daysof tricky conditions particularly East areas. But as for the following days, and the much hyped blizzard, we cannot be certain yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

If I do get buried in snow i'll come on here and say well done to the lads that predicted it , but realistically lads we are a small island and it's almost impossible to accurately predict our weather far out , small wind changes can change the outlook dramatically , statistically we are very unlikely to heavy snow this time of year and i'd back the statistics over the charts every time , how often are met eireann actually accurate about the weather and they are professionals. we will have cold weather and a bit of snow sleet but noting more is my opinon based on years of experience looking at the weather .

What do you think the charts are based on?

Is this seriously what people are basing their interpretation on? Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Is there a link to the Eagleton forecast? I was half listening so may have missed the nuance but I heard him say 'it's Tuesday evening when it all kicks off'.

He did say that there would be rain on Saturday. But I heard nothing about no snow between the two days. I'm sure he mentioned significant snowfall in fact.

He said heavy snow Thursday night but would give way to a thaw and rain early Friday

• Advertisement

Media hype. There will be snow and yes, a couple of daysof tricky conditions particularly East areas. But as for the following days, and the much hyped blizzard, we cannot be certain yet.

I wouldnt agree. I'll listen to the experts myself amd take precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

aidanodr wrote: »
    This was the bread aisle in Tesco in Midleton earlier.

28424249_10155426406717060_8113779102856392682_o.jpg?oh=39c84d8c73df23d597fb49467bda7c59&oe=5B122E9A

From REDFM Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/corksredfm/

I doubt very much there will be much if any snow in Cork. Maybe a bit in North Cork but I doubt the city will see any. Too mild and too far south.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    He said heavy snow Thursday night but would give way to a thaw and rain early Friday

I'm sure it was Saturday in fact. But either way, there's no doubt about a significant fall of snow for the east and south from tomorrow to Friday.

How's that at odds to the other forecasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Significant snow how Falling in parts of Essex now, this is only a teaser in what’s in prospect tomorrow night

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Significant snow how Falling in parts of Essex now, this is only a teaser in what’s in prospect tomorrow night

Could be an all nighter with a few cans at the window!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Bit of snow earlier in D15, short and sharp. Disappeared pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

The much discussed Eagle forecast is up here now (at 1:29:10)

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetime/

I think it has been a bit over dramatised in here, not as negative as I expected at all, mentioned disruptive snow from the system Thurs/Fri but indeed quite bullish about it turning to rain on Fri. No big deal imo this far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Is everyone going to sleep tonight , so they can stay up lampost watching tomorrow night ?

Tis like Christmas Eve , who will be happy and who'll be disappointed :D

I doubt very much there will be much if any snow in Cork. Maybe a bit in North Cork but I doubt the city will see any. Too mild and too far south.

Not what ALL forecasts and models I'm afraid. Everything suggesting Cork will get snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

diarmuid79 wrote: »
    I live in Celbridge and just went out the back and nothing, pressure still fairly high for any decent precipitation

Same, on the Hazelhatch side, absolutely nothing here!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement