Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Very cold in Cork. Been for a walk, needed all the layers....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭munster87

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Its all happening due to "climate change" says an "expert" on Sky News....like this kind of weather never happened in the past :rolleyes:....and now its called "climate change" instead of "Global warming" so they can now claim all extreme weather hot or cold is caused by this ...how convenient.:pac:

Danny Healy Rae?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

just been for a run and it’s actually not that cold out in Dublin

Actually felt warmer when I was on the way home with the gf but it cut through me this morning. Usually stronger in Clontarf but stronger in D2 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

28168109_1249147878521343_1463528017974920779_n.jpg?oh=ca9f9d0a353717d008d14bece853dbdf&oe=5B4DEF08

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Did you try just wearing a t-shirt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

With all this talk of possible snow, temperatures are going to drop to -5c in parts of the midlands tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Very cold in Cork. Been for a walk, needed all the layers....

Had my bathroom window open to let steam out after a shower and forgot about it. Walked from a warm hallway into a baltic bathroom :pac: Setting timers next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭jirafa

• Registered Users Posts: 30 newinvestor

Giblet wrote: »
    Did you try just wearing a t-shirt?

it was much colder this morning same run both times had 3 layers on tonight only needed 2 i reckon, it’s milder than 8am that’s for sure .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

-0.2c here in Tralee, -3.4C windchill , DP -4.8C

temp_uk_eke1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Had my bathroom window open to let steam out after a shower and forgot about it. Walked from a warm hallway into a baltic bathroom :pac: Setting timers next time!

I saw someone out in shorts though so maybe I just can't handle the cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wind has increased here in Kildare now with snow whizzing by the street lights. Windchill is nose diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Hooter23 wrote:
    Its all happening due to "climate change" says an "expert" on Sky News....like this kind of weather never happened in the past ....and now its called "climate change" instead of "Global warming" so they can now claim all extreme weather hot or cold is caused by this ...how convenient.

It's was renamed to climate change because some people like yourself can't grasp that even though average global temperatures are rising that this still does not mean that cold weather events are not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm sharing UK snow photos or videos whilst I'm awaiting for the beast to unleash what it's got for us here in the east of Ireland :D

https://twitter.com/canveyisweather/status/968228372064231424

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Hoping the 9 O'c news is like this

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

The air is very dry, we are always in damp cold sh#t wet cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

GOOSEBUMPS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Does anyone know what the weather will be like in County Clare? It's not cold at the moment ...9 o'clock here at night at the moment. The road gritters have been out but that's not unusual as they usually grit the roads when there isn't even a mention of frost no mind snow in the media.

Facebook photos of empty Tesco shelves and people buying sledges etc have me a little scared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

it was much colder this morning same run both times had 3 layers on tonight only needed 2 i reckon, it’s milder than 8am that’s for sure .

So according to my mathematical mind, if it was -10 you would need 10 layers of clothes.. Jaysizzzz creeeest :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Aineoil wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the weather will be like in County Clare? It's not cold at the moment ...9 o'clock here at night at the moment. The road gritters have been out but that's not unusual as they usually grit the roads when there isn't even a mention of frost no mind snow in the media.

Facebook photos of empty Tesco shelves and people buying sledges etc have me a little scared.

Clare is not in the East so going by every weather report you are fine until Thursday at least. Then you might get some snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Just listened into it now. Nothing like the negativity that was posted on here. Mentioned 10 to 12 inches of snow, a sustained spell of snow from the south, however snow may turn to rain on friday.

Looks very serious.

And that's the last time I take anyone's word for something without personally seeing/hearing/watching it. If that's the most negative forecast there is then I'd be very sure of some severe weather coming.

Listen again Jcx
    He said any snow will turn back to rain and temperatures will rise on Friday meaning the big event for most of the rest of the country wouldn’t be much of a do
    Will not may
    That’s the issue I had with it
    I did not mention Tuesday to Thursday

Too much reassuring emphasis on that when the emergency coordination group are emphasizing blizzards
    Even the news tonight talking of January 1982
    I experienced that and I can tell you if Thursday nights event gets washed away by mid morning Friday or the afternoon it will be no 1982

I’ll add I don’t expect the rapid thaw
    Reporter on RTÉ now saying 6cms Thursday Friday
    This is all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

airbusa320 wrote: »
    Must have been short lived. No snow at all here now in Celbridge :(
    Same, on the Hazelhatch side, absolutely nothing here!

was passing through celbridge around 8.15 and I can confirm some snow!!...only a small bit...but there was some!
    Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I saw someone out in shorts though so maybe I just can't handle the cold?

I saw somebody walk into the Supervalue in shorts....and saw somebody else in Dublin CC wearing shorts....i was f**king freezing just looking at them! MAD people out there

• Registered Users Posts: 40,041 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lead story on the nine o clock news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

daheff wrote: »
    was passing through celbridge around 8.15 and I can confirm some snow!!...only a small bit...but there was some!

I saw somebody walk into the Supervalue in shorts....and saw somebody else in Dublin CC wearing shorts....i was f**king freezing just looking at them! MAD people out there

Saw a cyclist out tonight in dame Street in shorts.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Reporter on RTÉ now saying 6cms Thursday Friday

I honestly think its the media confusing the public rather then ME, the weather forecast at the end of the news could say something totally different then what they just said on the news. Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

One thing I don't understand is that the UK media are mentioning amber warnings for the country. Is that the equivalent of orange warnings in this country or is it a different level again?

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/severe-weather-advice

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-02-26

yes amber is our orange; maybe UKMO are sensitive re orange!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

There was graupel in Blackrock/mahon cork around lunch time today.

I'm prepared.
    Heater in the attic
    Tank full of heating oil
    Cars full of petrol/diesel
    Lots of dry & frozen food
    Bottled water (since ophelia)
    Gas heater
    Gas camping stove
    Batteries
    Battery radio
    Candles
    Condoms
    Wine
    Whiskey
    Grit
    Salt
    Snow shovel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I honestly think its the media confusing the public rather then ME, the weather forecast at the end of the news could say something totally different then what they just said on the news. Meh

Really not helped by some confusing stuff out of ME...

Nobody seemed the pick up that on the forecast after the 6pm she said rain, sleet and snow moving eastwards across the country tomorrow afternoon.

:confused:

Not the first time this week they have mixed up east(wards) and west(wards).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement