Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Really not helped by some confusing stuff out of ME...

Nobody seemed the pick up that on the forecast after the 6pm she said rain, sleet and snow moving eastwards across the country tomorrow afternoon.

:confused:

Not the first time this week they have mixed up east(wards) and west(wards).

the entire thing is a mess. Communication lines need to be fixed and thats why we are getting what we have now with people not trusting the forecasts.

They seem to be not used to saying the opposite directions of what we usually have though alright :p

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Has MT dropped by this evening with his thoughts? Or have I missed it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

mikeecho wrote: »
    There was graupel in Blackrock/mahon cork around lunch time today.

I'm prepared.
    Heater in the attic
    Tank full of heating oil
    Cars full of petrol/diesel
    Lots of dry & frozen food
    Bottled water (since ophelia)
    Gas heater
    Gas camping stove
    Batteries
    Battery radio
    Candles
    Condoms
    Wine
    Whiskey
    Grit
    Salt
    Snow shovel
    All you need now is a fast train out of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Clare is not in the East so going by every weather report you are fine until Thursday at least. Then you might get some snow.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I really don't want any snow. I just want to get to work on time. On a good day the journey takes between 40 to 50 minutes on bad, windy roads.

Snowy or icy conditions just make the journey more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nearly -1 here but strangely no frost visible, it's so dry..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Really not helped by some confusing stuff out of ME...

Nobody seemed the pick up that on the forecast after the 6pm she said rain, sleet and snow moving eastwards across the country tomorrow afternoon.

:confused:

Not the first time this week they have mixed up east(wards) and west(wards).

They have had rain and sleet moving eastwards tomorrow on Met.ie all day and it’s still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

My husband has confidently bet me a fiver that "none of this will come to pass" and sure, "were just up the road from the shops etc". He laughed at my suggestion of getting in some 5l bottles of water.

I however, was a student in Dublin during 2010. It was hardly possible to confidently walk across campus, let alone carry shopping home. Exams were cancelled, I spent 6 hours on a bus for a 2 hour journey.

I'm looking forward to earning that fiver.

There was quite a few tiny snow flakes falling today. I've found a good nook to watch the action from over the next few days in Dublin 16.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Saw a cyclist out tonight in dame Street in shorts.

The place where I'm doing my course, I see a lad wearing shorts everyday o_O.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

mikeecho wrote: »
    There was graupel in Blackrock/mahon cork around lunch time today.

I'm prepared.
    Heater in the attic
    Tank full of heating oil
    Cars full of petrol/diesel
    Lots of dry & frozen food
    Bottled water (since ophelia)
    Gas heater
    Gas camping stove
    Batteries
    Battery radio
    Candles
    Condoms
    Wine
    Whiskey
    Grit
    Salt
    Snow shovel

You paid attention to all the posts about the baby booms of '47, '63 and '82 clearly :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pangea wrote: »
    Nearly -1 here but strangely no frost visible, it's so dry..

Latest chart of water vapour, the driest of the air is nearly gone out into the Atlantic.

F0u2lTJ.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

0.9c but Dew Point -5c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I honestly think its the media confusing the public rather then ME, the weather forecast at the end of the news could say something totally different then what they just said on the news. Meh

Well... here’s a good one
    Evelyn was asked at the news conference lunchtime what she meant in the morning on morning Ireland by dynamic snow
    She explained that it was different to convective and tried to explain something about steam in a shower

She had previously spoke in her part of the presentation about storm Emma being the culprit that was going to clash with the cold air causing the snow Thursday Friday HOWEVER then at the end of her reply to the journalist she said the storm didn’t exist yet

There was silence at that point from the journalist

This I watched on RTE news now just before one

Confusionrama

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

How's things lookin for the North West. Any sneachta on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The place where I'm doing my course, I see a lad wearing shorts everyday o_O.

I ran at lunch time in shorts. City was grand so we're the quays

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭No Bills

jay28 wrote: »
    Has MT dropped by this evening with his thoughts? Or have I missed it?
    Not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Friday-if it does turn to rain it will still be snow the further north you go so won't be a wash out for everyone. Anyway I know there's a lot of threads already but it could be a good idea to a separate thread for storm Emma and another one for the snow before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'm no weather expert.

But I can only presume, that ME are only stating what they can definitely stand over.
    And as it gets closer, they'll ramp up their warning / snow dept prediction.

Just take it that we'll have massive disruption.

Prepare for the worst.

If it's not that bad.. well so what

If it is that bad . You're quids in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Also they said they would issue a red warning 48 hours before Emma if it is needed, so will find out by tomorrow evening what they're thinking.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Friday-if it does turn to rain it will still be snow the further north you go so won't be a wash out for everyone. Anyway I know there's a lot of threads already but it could be a good idea to a separate thread for storm Emma and another one for the snow before it.

Need to keep everybody corralled!!!

We will see, closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

pad199207 wrote: »
    Wind has increased here in Kildare now with snow whizzing by the street lights. Windchill is nose diving.

My parents are near you and have been updating me. They are like kids at the window waiting for the snow. They said some people are dismissing this event before it has even started.
    Talk turned to 82 and dragging a cylinder of gas across Dublin with huge drifts everywhere.
    I don't remember it but have seen pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temp dropped to 0.3c here in West Clare, however has suddenly risen to 1.1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Going from the weather forecast from John Eagleton on RTÉ R1. Is there any possibility that the rain coming in early on Friday morning with the snow & the "beast from the east" type winds to be "freezing rain"? I am asking this because what I heard the BBC from their forecasts last night is that freezing rain could be coming in to some eastern areas of the UK with their snow showers which could make conditions much worse than expected. To make the question more clearer; Will a spell of freezing rain along with the snow & cold winds come into Ireland early on Friday? Also how bad will that be as we progress through the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Pangea wrote: »
    How's things lookin for the North West. Any sneachta on the cards?

Luckily for ye I think you'll miss the worst of it. More an East of the country event. You might see some snow but nothing noteworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The beast is really packing a punch on Kent.

https://twitter.com/UKsnow_updates/status/968235529467723776

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Well... here’s a good one
    Evelyn was asked at the news conference lunchtime what she meant in the morning on morning Ireland by dynamic snow
    She explained that it was different to convective and tried to explain something about steam in a shower

She had previously spoke in her part of the presentation about storm Emma being the culprit that was going to clash with the cold air causing the snow Thursday Friday HOWEVER then at the end of her reply to the journalist she said the storm didn’t exist yet

There was silence at that point from the journalist

This I watched on RTE news now just before one

Confusionrama

Ah what really I didn't see that one. Thats just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

-1.3C in Castlebar with a DP of -6C.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Reporter on RTÉ now saying 6cms Thursday Friday
    This is all over the place

They're missing a 0 on the end of that 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

snow tomorrow afternoon.
    Bliizzards on thurs/fri :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Crikey she aint holding back on the weather now , BLIZZARDS ! , she SAID BLIZZARDS !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ME still very much going for blizzards and heavy disruptive snow for Thursday into Friday judging from the forecast on RTE just now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement