Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fine RTE forecast there from a Clare woman :)

Blizzards on Thursday night/Friday, no mention of rain yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

The more I hear about this the more hilarious it is becoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

I really hope Michelle’s forecast comes to fruition. Fantastic forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Having read the OP again and listening to RTE weather is this weather unlikely to effect western parts of the country as much as thought previous? Talking in specifics south west Galway. Any tuppenny s worth is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Ramping it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sever Frost & Ice
    6zl4eqjm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Snow tomorrow evening, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday according to the weather report after the news!

Having read the OP again and listening to RTE weather is this weather unlikely to effect western parts of the country as much as thought previous? Talking in specifics south west Galway. Any tuppenny s worth is welcome.

Thursday/Friday looking like snowy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JCX BXC wrote: »

I’ve a suspicion there won’t be any rain for most! Ergo quite a disruptive event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Honestly if there are blizzards on Thursday night, I am going to put on all my trekking gear, goggles and headtorch and just walk around for hours and hours soaking it all in. I will walk for miles!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

West Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That was a great forecast in fairness...well for snow lovers anyway lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

gfs pub run rolling out now

West Clare?

Yup ;)

Went to school in Kilrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

To be fair to met Eireann this Portuguese storm Emma is confusing the best weather minds in the UK as well. There will be changes right up to Thursday for good or for bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wait till we see this appear

tenor.gif?itemid=4971161

my 7 year old loved the thought of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The more I hear about this the more hilarious it is becoming.

Hilarious in the good sense, I hope. i.e. "this is such an absolute snowmageddon that I'm struggling to do anything but laugh"

• Registered Users Posts: 26 knowall123

Why isn't it snowing yet tonight in Dublin. Are the upper temps not low enough or a problem with the wet bulbs!! I've been reading this now for days and fed up waiting, I've promised everyone I know huge snow!

knowall123 wrote: »
    Why isn't it snowing yet tonight in Dublin. Are the upper temps not low enough or a problem with the wet bulbs!! I've been reading this now for days and fed up waiting, I've promised everyone I know huge snow!

Pressure too high, in 18-24hrs the fun starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

Honestly if there are blizzards on Thursday night, I am going to put on all my trekking gear, goggles and headtorch and just walk around for hours and hours soaking it all in. I will walk for miles!!!

Me too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

442990.PNG

I'm guessing there's a big event coming? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Did you read a weather forecast?

Go to page 1!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Yes but she only forecast as far ahead as Fri morning. No mention at all of anything afterwards but I thought in her earlier forecast she had said that there would be a rise in temperatures later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Wasn't supposed to start snowing really tonight, it'll be tomorrow afternoon before flakes start falling in any quantity - I was actually surprised to see as many flurries today as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 knowall123

DOCARCH wrote: »

Go to page 1!

I've read every page, I've been reading non stop since last Sunday and every page of netweathers thread on this. I think reading about it not lasting through the weekend has put me off tonight. I was super excited

DOCARCH wrote: »

Go to page 1!

To be fair to him I asked a similar but less impatient and more detailed version of the same question not that long ago.

We had easterly, low enough temps and warm enough sea and I hadn't considered the pressure / dryness of the air and needed a nudge in the right direction :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

spookwoman wrote: »
    Sever Frost & Ice
    6zl4eqjm.jpg

442991.jpg

Tonights forecast... A FREEZE is coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Emma surprising name given the Portuguese Met named her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

SEVER frost and ice.

That would be a spell check fail on the forecast mentioned above I hope, and not a severance of anything to come!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I've read every page, I've been reading non stop since last Sunday and every page of netweathers thread on this. I think reading about it not lasting through the weekend has put me off tonight. I was super excited

Basically, today, the air was too dry to produce a lot of snow (on it's own), pressure was a bit too high, and while it was cold, it was not cold enough for the Irish Sea to produce convection (i.e. make showers bubble up)....google 'lake effect snow'.

Form tomorrow parameters much better.

Pressure should be dropping and colder air, over the Irish Sea, will start producing convection (i.e. showers).

BTW, if you are in Dublin....an ENE wind is what's best too! We did not have that today either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement