Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The place where I'm doing my course, I see a lad wearing shorts everyday o_O.

I wear shorts everyday, legs get too sweaty otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

GFS 18Z has the whole country lightly covered by Wednesday evening. I'd be very surprised if there aren't higher totals in Leinster / Southeast Munster.

This has consistently been substantially lower than all the other models for depth (which is not a very accurate chart but gives some indication)

51-780UK.GIF?26-18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Emma surprising name given the Portuguese Met named her.

When the RTE weather girl said "named by the Portugese" it almost sounded like they are trying to distance themselves from it.

It seems to have brought confusion. What will storm Emma bring in terms of high winds?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Just saw a man wearing a t-shirt, flip flops and what what looked like light trousers at the petrol station :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS looking again a little better for cold to hand on and give full snow event

Low better orientated for me here, but snow moving up a bit slower Friday AM

gfs-0-84.png?18?18

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

So the 2010 event had 1.4m views and this is already halfway there without a flake fallen. Lol.

Mentioned in a group chat at work that if anyone had elderly neighbors to look in on them this week. All I got was jokes and replies like "it's -20 where I'm from so why are people worried". Tried to point out that an event on this scale on Ireland is rare and it's best to be prepared and just take 10 minutes to ensure that any older people living alone are looked in on, one lad said and this is a quote" doesn't Ireland have churches that you can send the homeless and old people to be looked after in". Genuinely disgusted by some of the comments, I'd rather look like some loon worrying and check in on people than pass it off. After storm Ophelia the same lad complained that work was closed and "only three people died" as in his "country, only pussies worry about the weather". Never wanted someone to be hit bad by this but I hope his pipes burst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

There is a list of names they work from , Emma was next on the list

I just expected it to sound more exotic than plain old Emma ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

glack wrote: »
    Just saw a man wearing a t-shirt, flip flops and what what looked like light trousers at the petrol station :eek:

I have abnormal resistance to cold on my legs (as i am guessing these people do). My legs can be cold, but they wont feel cold to me! I have to be caught out in the rain on a very cold day, or a good strong wind on a cold day for my legs to start to feel cold. That said dont normally wear shorts outside, but if im in shorts around the house, and need to pop across to the shop, ill not bother changing.

In my case i attribute it to winter training when i was younger, nothing like running around for 2 hours on a sand horse track in winter cold rain driven by westerly gales, with the coach behind you in a jeep to provide lighting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Whatever about snowfall is there any prospect of the March low temperature record being broken in the next few days? Without the windchill factor. I think the record was posted in the previous thread but can`t find it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

GFS looking more promising, can't see any rain evident!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I watched the exclusive online forecast from the RTÉ Player a while ago. It did say that it will be "blizzard conditions" on Thursday night going into Friday morning but Michelle said that temperatures will be gradually rising later on Friday. It is being declared by MÉ as an "Exceptional cold weather event". But if it is not lasting into the weekend; could this heavy snow later in the week be very short lived? The weather graphics don't indicate significant snow coming into Ireland; to me it indicates rain & cold sleet looking at their maps.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10844462/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

FOR SALE - Last sliced pan in Ireland

For Sale on Done Deal - the seller says "I am selling the last sliced pan in Ireland."

Any takers :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Whatever about snowfall is there any prospect of the March low temperature record being broken in the next few days? Without the windchill factor. I think the record was posted in the previous thread but can`t find it now.
    -17.2 at Markree on March 3rd 1947? Don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

12z gfs has the low further south and precipitation struggling to move north

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

YanSno wrote: »
    12z gfs has the low further south and precipitation struggling to move north

Struggling to make it to the south coast even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,604 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I watched the exclusive online forecast from the RTÉ Player a while ago. It did say that it will be "blizzard conditions" on Thursday night going into Friday morning but Michelle said that temperatures will be gradually rising later on Friday. It is being declared by MÉ as an "Exceptional cold weather event". But if it is not lasting into the weekend; could this heavy snow later in the week be very short lived? The weather graphics don't indicate significant snow coming into Ireland; to me it indicates rain & cold sleet looking at their maps.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10844462/

Will it be too much to expect work to close on Friday so I can stay up all night and watch this, else I'll be in bed before it gets really good
    Best of the forecasts today for us snow lovers - don't care if it's gone by the weekend, will still be highly enjoyable while it's here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

irishfeen wrote: »

Looks like the south coast gets quite a bit of snow from it still.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thunder and lightning as well as snow storms? Jaysis o_O

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Is it falling in with what the ICON was showing earlier ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Wondering wether this is a good trend , snow confined to the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks like it. The low is further east, similar to what icon was predicting

irishfeen wrote: »

Gfs has it brushing the south coast then quickly retreat back, following that another low pressure. Lots of uncertainty we should have a clearer picture tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Not long back from hurling training,was never as delighted to be doing a few laps just to warm-up😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Now that would be intriguing as I’m in North Cork :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

This is the latest for North East coast including Newry Co Down.

Most of the evening Wed 28th
    Most all day Thursday 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Looks like it. The low is further east, similar to what icon was predicting

Up to Friday AM yeah but then the low spins off almost due westward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

jasper100 wrote: »
    When the RTE weather girl said "named by the Portugese" it almost sounded like they are trying to distance themselves from it.

It seems to have brought confusion. What will storm Emma bring in terms of high winds?

That would be ironic (see Liam Dutton and Storm Fionn)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is the forecast on page 1 still holding valid?

• Advertisement

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Wondering wether this is a good trend , snow confined to the south?

It's a good trend if you want the cold to hang around but still uncertain gfs having issues dealing with 3 lows

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement