Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Wondering wether this is a good trend , snow confined to the south?

It's a good trend if you want the cold to hang around but still uncertain gfs having issues dealing with 3 lows

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Was reminded of Godzilla when I saw the names together
    Slydice wrote: »
    442999.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Wondering wether this is a good trend , snow confined to the south?

Well if it keeps going south then no because nowhere would see the snow predicted, where its at now the GFS is predicting the main snow to start at around 75hrs, with it spreading from just past cork city to the rest of the south-east coast and then finishing at around 102hr when it seems that rain starts moving up the country (what I am reading it as anyway!). Still looks to have heavy enough snow from the dublin-galway line on Saturday though! If the low goes further north it has the possibility of bringing warm temps in quicker I think so its 50/50 whats best really. This is totally up to the more advanced chart readers to correct, I am still learning and have learnt a lot this week alone off everybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

443000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We should get a hotline to the Alps to see how they cope. NOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Honestly if there are blizzards on Thursday night, I am going to put on all my trekking gear, goggles and headtorch and just walk around for hours and hours soaking it all in. I will walk for miles!!!

Same (except for all the fancy gear), meet you in Athlone for a few snow cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is the forecast on page 1 still holding valid?

Yes, pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Please make a thread that only mods & MT can post in. I am reading everything here from
    bread
    shorts & toes
    parking up the hill or down the hill,
    is it all over
    Will my flight land or take off
    Please please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Will it snow in Omagh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

GFS snow accumulation charts nothing exceptional. I've seen worse pronged for this winter already with it which didn't materialise it usually over cooks totals as well. Highest total briefly 13cm over the wicklow mountains. I know showers are hit and miss but seems low for a low pressure system sat over Ireland supposedly with continuous snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Will it snow in Omagh?

It could, but it could not.
    It may, but it may not.
    It might, but it mightn't.

GFS snow accumulation charts nothing exceptional. I've seen worse pronged for this winter already with it which didn't materialise it usually over cooks totals as well. Highest total briefly 13cm over the wicklow mountains. I know showers are hit and miss but seems low for a low pressure system sat over Ireland supposedly with continuous snow.

I wouldn't take too much notice of those charts yet. They are iffy at the best of times really as has been said here quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

So it’s Storm Emma and not Hector.

Thank fook. That DJ would be insufferable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Have a look at the ECM one then :eek:

Obviously this is over period of days of what it thinks will fall !

442976.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Brianmeath wrote: »
    Please make a thread that only mods & MT can post in. I am reading everything here from
    bread
    shorts & toes
    is it all over
    Please please

This is a general chat thread so a mixed bunch is what you’re going to get.
    The technical thread might be more up your street
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057844498

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

There will be more than this in some eastern areas before the low even arrives. This is nothing like anything else seen this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Rush hour tomorrow looks like chaos in Dublin!

prectypeuktopo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭tiegan

I'm ready - bring it on!!

1gbtly.jpg

Have a look at the ECM one then :eek:

Obviously this is over period of days of what it thinks will fall !

442976.png

That's more promising. I've also seen ECM Snow depth totals grossly over estimate this winter several times too lol. But parts of leinster will see more from the showers than the GFS indicates IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

irishfeen wrote: »
    Rush hour tomorrow looks like chaos in Dublin!

That chart shows 1mm of precip (1-2cm of snow) over 3 hours. Probably enough to chaos actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Brianmeath wrote: »
    bread
    shorts & toes
    is it all over
    Please please

MT's daily forecast: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971

Technical discussion only (not just mods, but anyone willing to discuss at a model interpretation level with no 67-post debates about the panic buying of Hovis Granary half-pans) : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057844498

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

im confused ta feck. do we want the low on friday to go south or north for maximum snow? or is it maximum snow with instant defrost? following attently, but still lost. probably cos im just a little stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What level of snowfall designates a Red alert?
    Can't really believe maybe 2-3 inches as predicted Tuesday/Wednesday is worthy of an Amber alert (not including any blizzard conditions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Do large lakes like Corrib, Ree & Derg act as snow shields for snow or enhance it?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Can't really believe maybe 2-3 inches as predicted Tuesday/Wednesday is worthy of an Amber alert (not including any blizzard conditions)

Weather Element Criteria for Red - Severe Weather Warnings

1. Wind Mean Speeds in excess of 80 km/h
    Gusts Speeds in excess of 130 km/h
    2. Rain 70mm or greater in 24 hrs
    50mm or greater in 12 hrs
    40mm or greater in 6 hrs
    3. Snow/Ice Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 8 cm or greater below 250 m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation likely to worsen.
    4. Low Temperatures Minima of minus 10C or lower expected. Maxima of minus 2C or lower expected.
    5. Fog No Criterion – not displayed.
    6. High Temperature As Orange criterion, but persisting for two or more consecutive nights.
    7. Thunderstorms No Criterion – not displayed.
    8. Coastal Wind Warnings Violent Storm Force 11 or greater. (Mean Speeds)

Weather Element Criteria for Orange – Weather Warnings

1. Wind Mean Speeds between 65 and 80 km/h
    Gusts between 110 and 130 km/h
    2. Rain 50mm – 70mm in 24 hrs
    40mm – 50mm in 12 hrs
    30mm – 40mm in 6 hrs
    3. Snow/Ice Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 3 cm or greater below 250m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation stable.
    4. Low Temperatures Minima of minus 5C to minus 9C expected. Maxima of 0C or minus 1C expected.
    5. Fog Dense fog likely to cause a widespread and significant driving hazard on national primary routes.
    6. High Temperature Maxima in excess of 30C or minima in excess of 20C expected in a 24hr period
    7. Thunderstorms Widespread thundery activity over an area of several counties.
    8. Coastal Wind Warnings Storm Force 10. (Mean Speeds)

Weather Element Criteria for Yellow – Weather Alerts

1. Wind Mean Speeds between 50 and 65 km/h
    Gusts between 90 and 110 km/h
    2. Rain 30mm – 50mm in 24 hrs
    25mm – 40mm in 12 hrs
    20mm – 30mm in 6 hrs
    3. Snow/Ice Scattered snow showers giving accumulations of less than 3 cm below 250m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation improving.
    4. Low Temperatures Minima of minus 3C or minus 4C expected. Maxima of plus 1C or plus 2C expected.
    5. Fog No Criterion.
    6. High Temperature Maxima in excess of 27C expected
    7. Thunderstorms No Criterion.
    8. Coastal Wind Warnings Gale Force 8 or Strong Gale Force 9. (Mean Speeds)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Do large lakes like Corrib, Ree & Derg act as snow shields for snow or enhance it?

Should enhance it, but the effect won't be that great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

MOD NOTE

This is a busy thread and as a result the Mod Team will be taking a zero Tolerance approach to trolling, flaming and personal abuse.

Don’t say you weren’t warned!!

And please don’t feed - report & let the Mod team deal with Troublesome Posters/Trolls

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Its on their Website :

https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

More than 8cm below 250m ASL with predicted worsening
    or Temperatures below -2 maximum, or -10 minimum.

• Advertisement

Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 8 cm or greater below 250 m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation likely to worsen.

Although they don't follow the below the 250m rule, more what is expected at sea level . They would have issued about 10 this winter if they did follow the below 250m. Mountainyman is around that altitude.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement