Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Not showers, a frontal system with a warm sector. Will turn things sleety tomorrow morning.

Kermit are u doing a weather update today?

Very cold here was just outside. -2 east galway 10 miles in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

-2 in Sligo, zero wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

All currently still and quiet here near UL, about 1 degree above freezing, 7/8 cloud cover with thin broken cloud with the moon clearly visible through it. That'll change overnight anyway!
    It is rather weird, seeing absolutely no hint of frost with the dry air that we are not used to!

It's "Charity Week" in UL, so the cold weather from tomorrow on will hopefully have no casualty amongst the students on the nights out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not showers, a frontal system with a warm sector. Will turn things sleety tomorrow morning.

I knew not having the goddess Joanna on today would play havoc with the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭Comhrá

At times like this I miss Gerry Fleming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

We're within the typical reliable timeframe for storm Emma, but we're dealing with completely untypical synoptics.

Literally nobody knows exactly how this will play out. Should become clearer tomorrow.

Or maybe the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Kermit are u doing a weather update today?

Very cold here was just outside. -2 east galway 10 miles in.

No need. Nothing has changed today. I'll do one tomorrow with a focus to the end of week event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

1.7c in South Dublin, DP is -7c. Broken cloud, had a few snow grains again about 30 mins ago.

Can't wait for the beefy Irish Sea streamers to kick off tomorrow.

Temperature falling back here on the northside of Dublin. 0.8, DP -4.9c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The guys on the netweather technical thread are saying the latest GFS is pushing the low south and west and some think that might be the start of a trend. After all the jet is coming from the n/e so it maybe that the models are not factoring that in. Tomorrow we get higher resolutions (they say).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Gonzo wrote: »
    1c here in Dunshaughlin. Not much action here yet as pressure is still too high, Could be tomorrow morning before showers get going.

Large area of beefy showers over North-East England now.

Forecast was bang on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

gabeeg wrote: »
    We're within the typical reliable timeframe for storm Emma, but we're dealing with completely untypical synoptics.

Literally nobody knows exactly how this will play out. Should become clearer tomorrow.

Or maybe the next day.

Would that be the day after?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The guys on the netweather technical thread are saying the latest GFS is pushing the low south and west and some think that might be the start of a trend. After all the jet is coming from the n/e so it maybe that the models are not factoring that in. Tomorrow we get higher resolutions (they say).

I thought the models factored everything in, why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mean temperature on my hill in Kilkenny for today has been 0.1C.
    There has been the tiniest amount of snow in the air for hours, with the air temperature below 0 since before 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

What does this mean for snow? Genuine question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Charlestown in Mayo currently coldest spot on NRA site -4.1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

BBC forecast with Nick showed a change in the jet stream's position next week from a northeasterly to a southerly (in the south of Europe) which would mean less cold but most certainly not mild, still below average temperatures. Snow would be far less frequent and it'd be a bit difficult for it to stick then.

I feel the signs of a change in the jetstream are going along with the recovery in zonal wind speeds or just models being models i.e. bringing us the default setup because they struggle so much with this stuff as it's not normal - I can't lie, I can too sometimes.

It seems all up in the air to me than anything, a lot to play for in terms of cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Comhra wrote: »
    At times like this I miss Gerry Fleming.

Just for you.

w1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

WHats the projected pressure over Leinster 15:00 tomorrow. On the phone at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Ive climbed it many a time, great view from the top but heres Croagh Patrick on New Years day 2010(source met eireann)28534326_2009451342405312_1112103561_n.png?oh=48c71a48c3cb292b04370369ec927714&oe=5A9727BD

• Advertisement

1,328 viewing the forum.

Just want to say hi to the 10 Met Éireann staffers :)

Hi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

1,328 viewing the forum.

Just want to say hi to the 10 Met Éireann staffers :)

Hi!

:)

Hi Met Eireann

Sorry if I was mean the other week. You're deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Ahhhhh 2010, the memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I’m off to bed. Have a bad feeling in the morning won’t be as confident but I hope I’m wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

All the bread bought today will be mouldy by Friday.
    Exactlyyyyyyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The sun paper going with THE BEAST FROM THE YEAST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ah no I’d say the fronts will be up alright north of Dublin but as per Fergies tweet,he still has access to the UKMO guys tech discussions aswell as now all the meteogroup analysis
    It’s literally too close to call

This is a double or triple hearsay but a poster on the Net Weather tech thread said a poster on TWO was in touch with the MET who are bullish on continuing cold over the weekend.

Maybe it’s now a quadruple hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I’m off to bed. Have a bad feeling in the morning won’t be as confident but I hope I’m wrong.

I hope you’re wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

The sun paper going with THE BEAST FROM THE YEAST

Never laughed so much with the convo going on the Tonight Show on TV3.....hope the snow lives up to this but let's be patient and see what the models settle on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement