Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes but rain and sleet spreading EAST.??

Surely its spreading West

It is the Beast FROM the East

Again default mode hitting in.. our weather usually moves eastwards:)

A bit like the models not being able to cope with a north easterly jet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

That will be the weather alert.
    Of the 2 jillion posts in this thread, that's the only one that made me LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Latest Arpege (a good model for rain and snow) has decent precipitation for the East coast by lunch time. Might be sleet. Might be snow.

Could be tricky

arpegeeur-2-18.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

You'll be well able to shovel snow anyway;)

I'm from North inner city Dublin, I think you'll find most lads around here are well used to the 'snow' lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

italodisco wrote: »
    I'm from North inner city Dublin, I think you'll find most lads around here are well used to the 'snow' lol

I hope ye don't be shovelling that snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Model thread sounding optimistic again about Snowmageddon instead of Thawmageddon on Friday.

Whats better than 2010 snow and 1982 snow?

2010 snow followed by 1982 snow a few days later of course!!

I have never been so prepared for a Snow event.

This....could....be.....EPIC!!!

Then I saw the 53ºN Till queue photo with all the Snow Tray Sledges under the arms. I thought to myself, "Dammit, shoulda headed up to Carrickmines for one of those. Too late now though :(

Headed up to bed and passed by the spare Bedroom. Don't know how or when it got there but what do I see leaning against the wall but a Bodyboard!! That'll Do!!! Result!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Any word from the Donegal postman yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Dunno if anyone here is talking about the weather or the shopping channel but

Met Eireann have as tomorrows forecast

RAIN and sleet spreading EAST

Where are they getting this?

a very marginal warm sector, it has the charateristics of a polar low even though it's not directly from arctic air, I would suspect the very cold dry air travelling across a relatively warm north sea is creating this small system

• Registered Users Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Calibos wrote: »
    Headed up to bed and passed by the spare Bedroom. Don't know how or when it got there...

How long have you been living in the house that you never noticed the spare bedroom before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I hope ye don't be shovelling that snow :D

I think my food expenses and baby expenses pretty much rule out any sort of extra curricular activities!

I'll be sliding down the snowy slopes on a black bin bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Met Eireann update
    OUTLOOK: Temperatures will remain well below average for the rest of the week, probably into next week too. Exceptionally cold in fact later Wednesday through to Friday, with strong and gusty winds accompanying heavy falls of snow, leading to disruption and blizzard conditions. Frost and ice too. High level weather warnings will be in operation throughout these days. In order to be best prepared please refer to www. winterready. ie

TOMORROW NIGHT: More snow showers are expected, especially across the eastern half of the country leading to further accumulations; a few will drift into western areas as well. The coldest night so far this season; the frost will be penetrating and severe nationwide with icy conditions about too. Extremely cold with lowest temperatures ranging minus 5 to minus 7 degrees Celsius. There will also be a significant wind chill factor, in fresh to strong easterly winds.

THURSDAY: Bitterly cold with highest temperatures of just minus 1 to plus 1 degrees Celsius. Harsh easterly winds and scattered snow showers will occur, which will become increasingly heavy and frequent through the course of the day. The emphasis of these will be on the south and east, but all areas will meet these disruptive and treacherous conditions, especially as of evening time onwards. Significant accumulations are likely after dark, with all areas at risk. Strong easterly winds will lead to blizzard conditions and drifting snow. Coastal areas will also experience high seas.

Friday: Present indications are for further falls of heavy disruptive snow and very windy conditions into Friday from this same event. Brighter conditions, with scattered showers, should however develop over Munster and south Leinster in the afternoon, with this clearance expected to extend northwards later in the day and overnight. Highest temperatures will range only 1 to 4 degrees Celsius. Once again there will be an added wind chill factor, making it feel optionally raw, in fresh to strong and gusty easterly winds.

"Optionally" raw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Calibos wrote: »
    Model thread sounding optimistic again about Snowmageddon instead of Thawmageddon on Friday.

Whats better than 2010 snow and 1982 snow?

2010 snow followed by 1982 snow a few days later of course!!

I have never been so prepared for a Snow event.

This....could....be.....EPIC!!!

Then I saw the 53ºN Till queue photo with all the Snow Tray Sledges under the arms. I thought to myself, "Dammit, shoulda headed up to Carrickmines for one of those. Too late now though :(

Headed up to bed and passed by the spare Bedroom. Don't know how or when it got there but what do I see leaning against the wall but a Bodyboard!! That'll Do!!! Result!!! :D

I just wrap myself in newspaper, tin-foil, and cling-film (in that order, very important) and go nuts. Poke some breathing and eye holes of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Yes but rain and sleet spreading EAST.??

Surely its spreading West

It is the Beast FROM the East

I agree, reckon they'll correct fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Met Eireann update

Optionally raw????😂

piuswal wrote: »
    I agree, reckon they'll correct fairly soon.

Three hours later, nope, and they made the same mistake yesterday I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its the weather girl on RTE. She said spreading EAST too.

Theyr tired after a long day

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Optionally raw????😂

Why are they making so many mistakes...

fritzelly wrote: »

It's exactly the kind of mistake I'd make continuously

I imagine Evelyn is not sleeping this week, she strikes me as the type of gal who lives for this once in a blue moon event.

And maybe you've noticed but the weather reporters have been very stuttery, like we're not used to talking like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

these professional weather people just can't get the idea of the upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The met.ie forecast update is the most apocalyptic IV ever read!!!

Sounds EPIC.

Has RED ALERT written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

fritzelly wrote: »

Just updated, hope they correct their tweet as well

Tomorrow

An extremely frosty start to Tuesday with ice in parts. A dry start too for the bulk of the country, however cloud will increase during the day and scattered outbreaks of rain and sleet will spread westwards across the country. Snow showers will develop more readily along the east and south coast towards evening. Highest temperatures will range only 3 to 6 degrees Celsius in fresh northeast winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Met Eireann update

"Optionally" raw?

Siobhán, one step at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Met Eireann update

"Optionally" raw?

Occasionally I imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

gabeeg wrote: »
    It's exactly the kind of mistake I'd make continuously
    its like when your friend gives you an android phone with the back button on the right instead of the left(or vice versa). :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The met.ie forecast update is the most apocalyptic IV ever read!!!

Sounds EPIC.

They've added the B word again :)

Met Eireann update

Clearance :)

A time to frolic

No, Ive read that wrong.

Clearance. A time for slushy remorse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Optionally raw????��

probably meant exceptionally, but these are the days of smartphones and their spell manglers, so anything was/is possible.

As to exactly what is going to happen late Friday and over the weekend, I'm slightly reassured by the latest forecast, but we're not going to really know until probably late Wednesday or Thursday morning how this is actually going to pan out.

Given we are waiting on OPW to do some flood alleviation work here, I hope we don't get rain and a rapid thaw, as that could cause us serious issues, so for me, even though epic snow may cause other problems, I'd be more comfortable with a reload of cold and a gradual thaw over time.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement