Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I can't believe we're potentially looking at a once in a generation snowstorm in 3 days time... This could be epic.

I've a feeling the morning runs will firm up on this and a red warning will be issued by evening, this all coming after already significant accumulations in the east from Irish sea streamers... A perfect scenario. As someone said earlier, 2010 type snow followed by 1982. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Looks amazing across the south and east but not much for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I honestly can't believe there's a chance for significant snow fall here in Cork City. I might finally be able to build my old snowman friend Jimmy that I made years ago
    Oh the joy. The excitment is real.

EDIT: Picture attached of Jimmy! Was in December 2010, so I was only 10 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I can't believe we're potentially looking at a once in a generation snowstorm in 3 days time... This could be epic.

I've a feeling the morning runs will firm up on this and a red warning will be issued by evening, this all coming after already significant accumulations in the east from Irish sea streamers... A perfect scenario. As someone said earlier, 2010 type snow followed by 1982. :D

What makes it even more significant to me is that it's occurring in March, like there hasn't been this kind of severe March snowfall in the Republic of Ireland since the likes of 1947. It will make 30/31 March 2010 blizzard seem laughable.

You know what, forget what I said Sunday! Bring on the blizzards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Looks like it's kicking off for Scotland and northern England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It all feels pretty surreal to me at the moment. Only a few days ago we were unsure if a single flake would fall anywhere on our island.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the mild sector that Kermit mentioned is turning some of the snow to sleet near the coast in NE England, plenty of snow further inland. The leading edge is now exiting the coast at Cumbria heading for the Isle of Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Hopefully it will be like 12-13 years ago. Late Feb snow followed by 14°c temps 2 weeks later. Think it was 2005 as that was a great summer.

Not panicking myself. From Scotland so I have seen deep snow before. Yes food supply is disrupted but for a day or so.

No need to empty the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Expecting graupel/wettish snow tomorrow afternoon before it turns to dry snow by late evening. Wednesday morning could be a very nasty commute alright and I will be the most surprised man on earth if I do not have at least 4/5cm lying at 9 o'clock Wednesday morning.

Friday could be truly epic. There will be more changes and ultimately shifts of 40/50 miles are possible even at +3 hrs so as usual all will be revealed by a simple (s)nowcast. Bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Looks like it's kicking off for Scotland and northern England.

Yeh. And heavier than expected. And this is the start of possibly a week’s snow for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I honestly can't believe there's a chance for significant snow fall here in Cork City. I might finally be able to build my old snowman friend Jimmy that I made years ago
    Oh the joy. The excitment is real.

EDIT: Picture attached of Jimmy! Was in December 2010, so I was only 10 at the time.

Radar is picking up some precipitation over us, but i don't see any snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Screenshot that latest Met Eireann update for the week ahead. It’s one for the archives I tell ya!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    What makes it even more significant to me is that it's occurring in March, like there hasn't been this kind of severe March snowfall in the Republic of Ireland since the likes of 1947. It will make 30/31 March 2010 blizzard seem laughable.

You know what, forget what I said Sunday! Bring on the blizzards!

I must have missed that one. Any reports/archives from the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

gabeeg wrote: »
    We're within the typical reliable timeframe for storm Emma, but  we're dealing with completely untypical synoptics.

Literally nobody knows exactly how this will play out. Should become clearer tomorrow.

Or maybe the next day.
    In my amateur point of view I see the two systems merging and creating a whole dump of snow over the majority of the country come Thursday day and Thursday night, I'm thinking a 24 hour event of some crazy weather will be experienced starting Thursday all the way into Friday. Come Friday afternoon the weather will turn milder and the snow ( A lot) will melt away. 
    The east coast will get several layers of good proper snow starting anytime after lunch starting Tuesday, come Thursday / Friday am the east coast will see as will the country huge drifts of snow and several inches on the ground.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Radar is picking up some precipitation over us, but i don't see any snow.

That's interference, if you play the loop it's more obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »
    the mild sector that Kermit mentioned is turning some of the snow to sleet near the coast in NE England, plenty of snow further inland. The leading edge is now exiting the coast at Cumbria heading for the Isle of Man.

Good to see the showers following so closely behind the cold front. Also note the pivot in wind direction. Coming this way...

pad199207 wrote: »
    Screenshot that latest Met Eireann update for the week ahead. It’s one for the archives I tell ya!

Have done just that, I honestly don't think there was a forecast like that in 2010. Lower minimums forecast yes but nothing that snowy.

Good to see the showers following so closely behind the cold front. Also note the pivot in wind direction. Coming this way...

Still thinking rain/sleet or maybe snow? Uppers look decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Still thinking rain/sleet or maybe snow? Uppers look decent.

DPs and surface temperatures don't unfortunately. It could
    but i'm not sure. Neither are the models.

It's a quick interruption anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

If low lying locations of the E Coast get accumulations before 19:00 tomorrow I think they will only be temporary graupel coverings. After that the fun and games will start. Think of it as an appetiser before a huge banquet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

This could be a great week to be alive for us snow lovers.

Unbelievable forecast for this little country!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I must have missed that one. Any reports/archives from the time?

It was an NI event mostly, think parts of Cavan/Monaghan got it bad also.

Nice lit webcam of a trainstation in NE England someone posted on Netweather

https://www.nymr.co.uk/live-webcam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

particularly raw; corrected

Friday: Present indications are for further falls of heavy disruptive snow and very windy conditions into Friday from this same event. Brighter conditions, with scattered showers, should however develop over Munster and south Leinster in the afternoon, with this clearance expected to extend northwards later in the day and overnight. Highest temperatures will range only 1 to 4 degrees Celsius. Once again there will be an added wind chill factor, making it feel particularly raw, in fresh to strong and gusty easterly winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

A man told me today, that in 1982,
    he remembers loading shovels from the local quarry being used to clear the snow on the dual carriage way from Naas to Dublin.

This only lasted a short while however, as they started to damage cars that were buried in the huge snow drifts.

In the end they had to leave it to thaw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »

I feel the signs of a change in the jetstream are going along with the recovery in zonal wind speeds or just models being models i.e. bringing us the default setup because they struggle so much with this stuff as it's not normal - I can't lie, I can too sometimes.

It seems all up in the air to me than anything, a lot to play for in terms of cold.

I thought it was only a temporary recovery in Zonal Winds. Is that not the case now? The jet stream going south would indicate a Greenland High for a time.
    So as you say nothing mild, but hard to get noteworthy cold at this time of year compared to a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭markc91

This is definitely going to happen I work in dub airport and I’m on annual leave this week so of course it’s going to cause massive disruptions while I’m off so that I’m not in there getting payed to sit around while flights are getting cancelled left, right and Centre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Danno wrote: »
    It was an NI event mostly, think parts of Cavan/Monaghan got it bad also.

Hills of Castlecomer plateau got plastered Danno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

There seems to be a fair bit of moisture leaving Lancaster and heading in the direction of Dublin for morning

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Nice lit webcam of a trainstation in NE England someone posted on Netweather

https://www.nymr.co.uk/live-webcam

Just viewed that at 01:57 and I thought it wasn't actually snowing! how wrong I was, if you view the buildings to the left in the background and to the rear, then the camera picks up constant falling snow... NICE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement