Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭squarecircles

!!!

29dz5vr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

could it really happen that for once the brits are looking enviously at our snow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Should be snow for Wales / England if it makes it up I think

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

1c here in Wexford and bone dry with cloud cover. Normally with cloud cover like that we see temps in double figures. The air is so dry there's not even a frost on the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice lit webcam of a trainstation in NE England someone posted on Netweather

https://www.nymr.co.uk/live-webcam

Maybe its a camera illusion but looking in the top left it looks like its absolutely pouring down there at the moment. Making me look forward to tomorrow night even more, haven't seen snow like that since 2010!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Danno wrote: »
    It was an NI event mostly, think parts of Cavan/Monaghan got it bad also.

Most of Ulster had snow as it moved across, slightly milder air filtered in to West Ulster, Donegal, West derry, West Tyrone turned sleet to lower ground, modest high ground remained but it was the east of northern ireland where it stalled which saw the worse. Antrim was buried.

Storm Emma blizzards.

kdms6x.jpg

Maybe its a camera illusion but looking in the top left it looks like its absolutely pouring down there at the moment. Making me look forward to tomorrow night even more, haven't seen snow like that since 2010!

It bloody is!

beeyouteeful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

is the low thats coming from the south going to have any bearing on the easterlies, i no that it will dump snow on us intially, i mean will it stop the easterlies coming and then a more normal trend take place.

sorry for this question, i dont quite understand weather systems yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Feel like I've been on this thread for weeks. Today is finally Tuesday and this is the day things are meant to kick off. I'm hyped to the gills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭tiegan

!!!

29dz5vr.jpg

Now that would definitely qualify as "Snowmageddon" :D

is the low thats coming from the south going to have any bearing on the easterlies, i no that it will dump snow on us intially, i mean will it stop the easterlies coming and then a more normal trend take place.

sorry for this question, i dont quite understand weather systems yet

The low will bring moisture,in the normal scheme of things that means rain but it's hitting extremely cold air and as a result will fall as snow.

There might be no late late show on da telly come Friday,Ryan could be trapped out in dun laoghaire.

There might be no late late show on da telly come Friday,Ryan could be trapped out in dun laoghaire.

That's one positive of the cold weather anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Look at all that snow going to waste in the English Channel.

443028.png

lolie wrote: »
    Look at all that snow going to waste in the English Channel.

443028.png

There's nothing more sinful than snowfall over the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looks amazing across the south and east but not much for others.

The technical thread is a hard read from a Donegal perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

That's ok, I'lll watch the repeat on Monday night :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Just viewed that at 01:57 and I thought it wasn't actually snowing! how wrong I was, if you view the buildings to the left in the background and to the rear, then the camera picks up constant falling snow... NICE

The resolution seems to have dropped since I posted it and the snow at the front isn't showing as well anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Ptrk85

gabeeg wrote: »
    Was this posted?

Seeing the Jetstream coming from such an extreme direction is just bizarre, don't think we'll see a forecast like that again for a very long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

!!!

29dz5vr.jpg

"First, let me show you Kermit's forecast..." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Those showers crossing Britain are getting into the Irish sea now, will be interesting to see how much they build back up.

Interesting update from met office just now for Northern Ireland, Friday snow delay to possibly Saturday. Better for those further South.

Frequent snow showers, strong winds with blizzard conditions and some disruption likely, especially in eastern areas on Thursday. Less snow showers on Friday, but some disruptive snow possibly on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

gabeeg wrote: »

Eh???

Rain over the Republic in the last frame of the animation at 3pm Friday.

Why are we cheering on this forecast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Calibos wrote: »
    Eh???

Rain over the Republic in the last frame of the animation at 3pm Friday.

Why are we cheering on this forecast?

Probably because of the monumental amount of snow that falls before that turn to rain on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

**** this . I'm seriously worried I won't be able to land on Thursday evening now.
    I'm flying in at 7pm. Hopefully the heavy stuff stays away until Friday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Interesting update from met office just now for Northern Ireland, Friday snow delay to possibly Saturday. Better for those further South.

Frequent snow showers, strong winds with blizzard conditions and some disruption likely, especially in eastern areas on Thursday. Less snow showers on Friday, but some disruptive snow possibly on Saturday.

I hope it lasts till Saturday. If Friday brings in rain and the snow all melts, well, I'll be disappointed if it's just a two day snow event.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

For the people asking will it snow IMBY:

THURSDAY: Bitterly cold with highest temperatures of just minus 1 to plus 1 degrees Celsius. Harsh easterly winds and scattered snow showers will occur, which will become increasingly heavy and frequent through the course of the day. The emphasis of these will be on the south and east, but *all areas* will see these disruptive and treacherous conditions, especially as of evening time onwards. Significant accumulations are likely after dark, with *all areas* at risk. Strong easterly winds will lead to blizzard conditions and drifting snow.

• Advertisement

Killygordon -4.3 current lowest temperature on nra website

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement