Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This spell lasts until April??? Fúck me. Hopefully I'll freeze to death before then. Miserable months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Considering the posts in this thread, fascinating as they are, why does the title only have a yellow level 1 warning?

Get onto the mods, this is at least a level 10...maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

fritzelly wrote: »
    I am in Wicklow town and we lost power in 2010 for a few days with the snow and also lost our water. We had to get water from a stand pipe erected at the top of our estate by the council ( bless them, wonder will IW be so efficient ).

Love snow and really looking forward to this event with all my heart but if the electricity and water go again the novelty will soon wear off. On top of that my partner is jetting off to the canaries on monday with our daughter leaving me all alone and no one to slide down the extremely steep hill with! The local kids ran a hose down said hill which we live on during the beginning of the 2010 freeze ( before the mains froze) and it made for a super lethal but extraordinarily fast ice track! Hoping they will do it again. I have 2 ice tobogans now! Which we did habe then. A large baking tray did the trick.
    Also in my forties so remember fondly 1982. Lived further up the hills and had 8 ft drifts. 2010 was colder for longer but nothing has beaten 82 for sheer volume of thw white stuff. God am nearly teary eyed at the thoughts of what next week will bring.

Live about 70m asl facing north east overlooking the irish sea
    ... i have no words...

Married man with kids left alone for a week while the country is snowed under - how lucky are you![/QUOTE]
    fritzelly wrote: »
    What do you hope for and what do you dread?
    This is the snow appreciation thread

I hope for a memorable weather event meaning lot of snow, I dread anti climax as I have been following the thread from the start. In all honesty though I would love a deep snow but deep down I don't like idea of elderly or vulnerable people being in danger for my whims over the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Considering the posts in this thread, fascinating as they are, why does the title only have a yellow level 1 warning?

It's following ME warning, which is completely sensible and logical imo.

Me will update warnings Sunday I'd say, at which stage this will be updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Because there are no specifics yet and this forum usually mirrors met.ie level warnings aswell as being guided by Mt as to timings of them being put in the title but I expect they will come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I just want to thank all the helpful posters and regulars. I’ve used this place several times to warn people and while I have been slagged many times, I’m delighted that I can pass on important weather information. I also like to look like I know something about the weather cause I haven’t a clue really but really enjoy trying to work out some of the graphs.

Since I have pretty much nothing productive to add, I want to thank all in advance for a thread I will be keeping a close eye on and will be forwarding anybody I know onto as things get colder and people take this more seriously.

Not to be putting pressure on you guys but

47439673-15044761596224358_origin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Basically because details aren't clear yet so it's impossible to issue specific warnings. It will be cold and there will be snow, but how cold, how much snow, when, and where are still not certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This is how extreme I was going with my posts by the way, seeing beautiful satellites like this from 2010 certainly a possibility and quite a high one at that.

fTS8nQS.jpg

Our future leader- Sryanbruen!!!

Off topic, have you ever entered the Young Scientist Competition? You would win it every year!!

Nope :D.

You may find this ironic but I find Science boring.

Yes, I just said that.

How about another ironic thing? I hate History.

Yet, I love meteorology and I adore weather history!

Strange ain't it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I'm getting a bit emotional about all this.

It's too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

It's my birthday next week, would really love a snow day off work :D I remember when I was a kid it snowed on my birthday and I got to go home from school early, it was pancake Tuesday the same day too, best birthday I ever had!

I am a bit concerned though my flat is electric heating only and we don't have a fireplace, it's been cold all winter as it is, if the power goes we're screwed!

Happy birthday piratequeen, hope you get another fantastic birthday this week :-)

gabeeg wrote: »
    I'm getting a bit emotional about all this.

It's too much

It's ok gabeeg, you can let it out. We're here for you. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

After been stuck looking at these threads & charts for hours does anyone else take a glance out the window half expecting to see a foot of snow? Some form of unconscious snow ramping !!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Nope :D.

You may find this ironic but I find Science boring.

Yes, I just said that.

How about another ironic thing? I hate History.

Yet, I love meteorology and I adore weather history!

Strange ain't it? :pac:

Dude, you're in sixth year. It isn't even slightly strange for you to not like those things.
    :)

I dedicate this winter to you, buddy. You were the first one to turn me on to all the SSW stuff and you've been a regular source of truth and humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's to do with how long away the main weather event is at present afaik. Joanna said today on the RTE forecast to expect upgrades to the warning closer in on the week...

Weird. You actually are fairly fritzelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

it seems that it is a degree colder then what met have said tonight xD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

This is how extreme I was going with my posts by the way, seeing beautiful satellites like this from 2010 certainly a possibility and quite a high one at that.

fTS8nQS.jpg
    If I am interpreting that photo correctly only the south coast of Ireland and Cornwall in the UK were not snow covered back then. Surely that won`t happen to the same extent this time?

I seriously cannot emphasise the significance of these two stratospheric events. Like look at the 1:00 chart for Saturday on the GFS 18z for the stratosphere. The Canadian Warming is still going on with no Polar Vortex in sight! Just as a reminder, the Canadian Warming had reached its peak Sunday-Monday last and since then has had a gradual drop off. Usually, these kinds of events go away after 2-3 days with the yellow, red colours etc but look here we are, nearly a week later and the stratosphere is still VERY warm. I'll repeat myself again, absolutely incredible!! :)

You'll get sick and tired of me saying the latter but really, this is extraordinary.

So I have to ask in the interest of weather fiction how close is this to say the premise presented in the film "The Day after Tomorrow" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If I am interpreting that photo correctly only the south coast of Ireland and Cornwall in the UK were not snow covered back then. Surely that won`t happen to the same extent this time?

Probably will if the charts are correct, especially around Friday Saturday, it could genuinely be an entire country coating, with perhaps the northwestern extremities getting off lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

JCX BXC wrote:
    Have told most people I know, better be guaranteed now or I'll look psychotic.

I've bet a tenner on this, stakes are very high!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

JCX BXC wrote:
    Have told most people I know, better be guaranteed now or I'll look psychotic.

I've bet a tenner on this, stakes are very high!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Dude, you're in sixth year. It isn't even slightly strange for you to not like those things.
    :)

I dedicate this winter to you, buddy. You were the first one to turn me on to all the SSW stuff and you've been a regular source of truth and humour.

:eek::eek::P

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

:eek::eek::P

Oh no, this thread hasn’t reached that point already has it

Jesus

No, no, no, no. No. No.

No

If you zoom in you will see that there were some other inland areas which did not get snow during that period. Notably here - there was no snow but we had weeks of unrelenting ground and air frost which made it look like it had actually snowed. The soil was frozen solid down to a considerable depth. On other surfaces the frost was unnaturally hard and built up in layers on the roads to the extent that it was a solid sheet of ice - centimetres thick in parts. Bushes and trees were covered in a form of hoar frost which resulted in a lot of damage to non hardy plant varities. Ive never seen anything like before or since tbh.

130 m asl
    North Cork Limerick Tipperary border

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

No
    Whats going on lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Sneachta2018

I have never wanted a weekend to be over as much as I want this one to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Just read the met.ie forecast, wow it's epic for the east coast,how I would loved to have experienced this exceptional weather.it will be covered alot better too,which is great,given the east coast/Dublin centric nature of the media.

Amazed it will still be a balmy 5 or 6 degrees here in the west on Monday and Tuesday with the ice days more for the east thereafter.

So jealous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement